Baghira front suspension

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Baghira front suspension

Postby edec » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:06 am

Has anyone tried adding spacers in their forks to lessen fork dive while braking hard?
edec

Postby drj » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:18 am

i hardly have any front end dive @ all...it actually helps absorb energy when it gives a bit - however - too much of course IS a bad thing.

overall the baggy suspension is a LOT better than most enduros out there...thanks to MZ for those nice 45mm front forks!!

u might wanna check the rebound settings first...before u do anything 'crazy'!! (unless your bike is older and has a lot of miles)

drj
'03 Baghira (m4 pipe/black rims)
'01 XR650r (hotcam)
'00 XR400r (pumper/header/pipe/cam)
drj

Postby Hoke » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:47 pm

Try to harden the comp and/or losen (counterclockwise) the rebound -but it does not make a major difference here (but i does help).
The easiest way to make it stiffer/more progressive is to ad more forkoil -but the best way is to change spring or as you say shorten the spring and add spacers (only spacer will give it less sag but will not make it stiffer).

I have the Baghira Forest edition with the S45 fork, it does not do the job at offroadrallys (it is 15 years older than the KTM:s setups -and it shows)..
My 1999 ktm 250 EXC fork is A LOT better (it is on a different level) ;-)

For usual roadtravel -the "baggyfork" works perfekt althow :D
Hoke

Postby phlat65 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:38 pm

the compression dampener adjuster only adjusts for high speed movements, and after 1/3 stroke. there is a long slot cut into the piston tube that ends at 1/3 stroke. it allows massive oil flow! more pre-load will only make it ride higher in the stroke, and it will still dive. stiffer springs help a little, but it is that slot that allows the fork to blow throught the stroke. slow down the re-bound on the rear shock first, and make sure the sag at the rear is set correctly (95-100mm on a full height), and run heavier fork oil. I have the progressive springs in a full height, with 5wt heavier than stock ( I don't remember what weight) and it still dives alot. i had a Height reduced, and it was alot more stable under hard braking. the forks are 3 inches lower than the full height.

slower rebound on the fork will make the front want to push easier.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Return to 660 cc