whats the difference?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Postby e » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:16 am

moe.

if you look at your original comments about your observed differences between your bike and your buddies, you should know that you've perfectly describe the differences between a height reduced model and the full height model.

-shorter swingarm
-non-adjustable forks

those differences have nothing to do with whether or not a particular baggy is a "black panther".

go to MZ's site itself or this one
http://www.grizzlycycles.com/mz/mz_street_moto.htm

as you can see, both the Black Panther and the Street Moto are available in height reduced.

had you bought a height reduced Black Panther, you would have the same exact shortened swingarm, and non-ajustable forks, and same triple tree that your buddy has.

one last time with feeling

black panther and street moto are identical except for color.

AS LONG AS BOTH ARE HEIGHT REDUCED, OR BOTH ARE FULL HEIGHT.

of course the rake will be different between a height reduced bike and a full height one.

but that had nothing to do with being a black panther.

the black paint has to do with that.
e

Postby phlat65 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:31 pm

well, after reading the specs in my owners manual, the Baghira line, and the Mastiff had different frame geometry.

Baghira: wheelbase 1530mm Caster 130mm Steering angle 28deg
Baghira HR 1500mm 127mm 62.3
Baghira Street Moto 1530mm 94mm 63.2
Mastiff: 1465mm 73mm 26deg

after I bought my bike HR BP in 2001, I was very curious about the differences in the geometry. My dealer talked to an engineer at the factory, and they claimed the BP DID have different specs than a street moto. It is very possible that the Mastiff and BP share components like Tripple clamps and swingarm. the frames are possibly the same. Mine was a HR, and that maybe the reason for the different geometry. in the specs, the HR and FH do have completely different head angles. The manual says "the seat height reduction of Baghira HR is only possible by using the front fork and the rear suspension unit of the Mastiff type. Therefore you cannnot adjust the front fork dampening of the Baghira HR"

I have ridden my BP back to back with a Street Moto, and can say they are two completely different feeling Motorcycles. the BP feels much more stable at speed, and a little more planted feeling from the front in low speed cornering.

at a supermoto race, I was able to lap Brian on his Street moto, and he is a decent rider. he rode ny bike and claimed it did handle better for street.I have since converted my BP to full height, and have ridden it off road. It does not turn very well on dirt, but is very stable on gravel at 50mph.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Previous

Return to 660 cc