Supermoto day...

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Supermoto day...

Postby roge-a-billy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:31 am

....At the ace cafe this Sunday (8/10/06) ....anyone? Might be a good chance to meet anybody from London, southeast.
Up to my knees in gin & hookers
roge-a-billy

Postby keithcross » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:55 pm

Might go, depends on the bike really. The battery died today :(

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby Wonky » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:07 pm

I can't make it as i'm working on my bike! :( Keith you want me to sort you out a battery? Can mail it to you, will sort you out buddy :wink:
Wonky

battery

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:15 pm

hay keith time for a gelcell as big as you can make fit so it starts this winter
the rt 125 just got a 17 ah in the saddle bag all it does is crank the motor
when cold .....15 ah runs the rest of bike laying on its side in the ori battery
location bike pluged into smart charger when not in use

yes bigger is better when we talk about battery size
:-D

BUT THEN I HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO START ONE AND GO TO WORK ON IT AT 20 BELOW ZERO F

PS FACE SHEILD IS REQUIRED FULL FARING A PLUS
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby keithcross » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:58 pm

Cheers for the offer of the battery, but the wife managed to get one on the local car accessory shop.
Anyway fitted new batter and thought I would check everything else. Seems my original diagnosis (late at night) was wrong. It was the rectifier in the end. Luckily I had one in the workshop, would you believe it, it’s the same as the one fitted as standard to the 1100 Goldwing :) In case you hadn’t realised I am into Goldwings as well as the MZ, I have a GL1500 Goldwing and 2 1100 models, one in trails trim :shock:
Anyway bike is all OK now, but I did find a couple of things out.
It seems that the Baghira suffers from a problem normally experienced by the owners of 4 cylinder Goldwings. What happens is that the connections for the alternator become weak and melt the plug. Eventually 2 of the connections touch. For some reason this results in a burnt out rectifier/regulator unit. Don’t ask me why, but it happens quite a lot on 4 cylinder Goldwings, particularly the 1200 models. This fault can also take out the alternator.
Hence it’s well worth checking the 3 pin alternator plug on a regular basis.

Keith
keithcross

elec

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:16 pm

welcome to the wonderful world of bike electrical nothing has changed
in 50 years bike electrical is as bad or worse the old /2 bmws were fair
but IMHO the designers need to stop attending the LUCAS school of electrical
eng....i sure do not want them doing any design work on the next airplane i fly on :-D
connections for the alternator become weak and melt the plug.

the rt125 reg/ref unit did this but got to it befor it killed any thing but the plastic plug... on the rt its the plug 2 wires from alt. to reg
cut out the plug and soldered it hard together and covered it with srink fit tubing
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby keithcross » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:29 pm

Even though I think I have sorted the baggi out, I decided not to risk riding it teh 50 odd miles to the Ace Cafe today, so went on my Gooldbarn instead. Niice to meet Ruge a billy on his silver baggi, shame no other memebrs here were there when I was, between about 12:30 and 2 pm.
One really good thing, while I was their I managed to blag a go on an Aprillia SVX 550 SM. Nice bike, real quick and light. Not for me though as the maintenance intervals are a bit to regular for me, especially the projected piston life of 60 hours racing use :shock:
Must make it again one day soon.

Keith
keithcross

Postby roge-a-billy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:17 pm

Nice to meet you too Kieth, sorry I had to spread myself about but loads of people I hadn't seen for quite a while we there. SVX soon wimpered off home when the mighty MZ hove into view..... :smt021 .... :roll:
Up to my knees in gin & hookers
roge-a-billy

Return to 660 cc