Soaking Chain in Oil

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Soaking Chain in Oil

Postby Randew2U » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:32 pm

Im taking off my 2004 Baggy BP rear wheel to replace my tire and figure its a good time to clean up the chain? Is it ok to soak it in oil and what kind is recommended? Were there any good posts on setting the chain tension? Thanks.
Randew2U

rear wheel removal

Postby edec » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:01 pm

Could someone please list the steps for removing the rear wheel of a Baghira? :oops:
edec

Postby drj » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:23 pm

get tools. start unbolting stuff. :lol:
(kidding!!)

drj
:-D
'03 Baghira (m4 pipe/black rims)
'01 XR650r (hotcam)
'00 XR400r (pumper/header/pipe/cam)
drj

Postby cat » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:37 pm

gear oil, 90W ...either Kawasaki KDX or the MZ manual recommends it, I forget which. Only trouble is it flings off more than most chain lube. - Although it's easier to clean off.
Yes, clean it by repeatedly swilling it in paraffin/kerosene in a plastic tub thing until no more grit is coming out, then soak it in oil. You don't need to soak it for long, but you need to hang it for hours to let the excess drip off.
cat

soaked

Postby jimc » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:12 pm

Better let that kerosene dry before oiling, I'm thinking dunking the chain in solvent might do more harm than good. Running it thru a rag or brush is probably enough, especially if it's an o- ring chain.. The modern spray lubes are much better than straight 30 or 90 wt. for getting in where it'll do some good & staying on the chain ,not to mention how good 90w smells on your jacket ! An alternative is to mix 30 weight with 1/3 STP oil treatment - really sticky , about all that stuff is good for. We also used to heat grease up, soak the chain in that - what a mess. By far, the spray lube is the way to go.
1996 Skorpion Sport
1981 XT550 Yamaha
1989 KDX200 Kaw
1994 Duc 900cr
jimc

Postby Randew2U » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:44 pm

Im wondering if the OEM baggy chain is an O ring type and how to tell?
Randew2U

Postby keithcross » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:54 pm

As the standard baggi rear chain is of the `o' ring type, then extended soaking in oil seems to be a bit of a waste of time. The oil is to thiock to get past any seals.
Modern chain greases are thin to allow the lubricate to get past seals before thickening up.
Cleaning the chain before greaasing has got to be a good idea though.
I suppose a light coating of oil will stop the chain corroding though.
Then again maybe I' talking complete rubbish :)

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby simon duval smith » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:56 am

Hi all
I don't wish to be pedantic but I was told and have read somewhere that the standard Baghira chain is of the 'X' ring type. The main thing is, as has been said, to not damage the 'X' rings with any sort of strong solvent - even gasoline will dry out the 'rubber' of the 'X' rings. Kerosene (paraffin in old English) with a stiff brush, a good rinse after and then just chain wax from Rock Oil works for me but Keith's use of the Scottoiler is really the answer - my chain is about one-third worn out after 12,000 kms and I think Keith's last a lot longer - anyone got a used cheap Scottoiler...?
2005 Baghira
simon duval smith

Postby keithcross » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:14 am

You are right the scott oiler works well. As for wear, the original chain lasted about 8000kms, mainly without teh scott oiler. Since then I have replaced 4 chain and sprocket sets after a total of 75000kms. Be aware though that I ride in all weathers as well as off road. My comute takes me down some single lane roads (1 lane blacktop :) ) that are often covered in mud and other stuff left by the local farmers! All in all I dont think this is to bad as I tend to be heavy with the throttle. Tyre wear varies between 3500 miles for an Avon Distanza to 958 miles for an Avon Rain tyre. I am waiting for drier weather to try out the Maxxis cut rear slick I have in the garage :) The original MT60's used to last for between 2000 and 2500 miles.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Soaking Chain in Oil

Postby wheelmanron » Sat May 05, 2007 10:52 pm

My Grandfather taught me this trick. Find a small,adjustable drip oiler,like the ones used on old steam machinery. (Bear with me here.) Make a bracket to hold it near the chain, then connect a piece of tubing to the bottom of it, leading to the bottom row of chain, near the rear sprocket. I use 1\4" copper tubing. Fill with used motor oil, Marvel Mystery oil, ATF, whatever you have lying around. Adjust the flow rate so you get about a drip a minute. Just remember to shut it off when you stop for longer than 5 minutes. Laugh if you want, but I usually get around 20,000 miles out of my chains this way. The centrifugal force gets the oil into even o-ring chains.
96 Skorpion Tour
2000 Ural Patrol
78 Honda CB400 Twin (For the wife)
2006 Bajaj Chetak scooter
Too many KZ1000s to mention
wheelmanron

Return to 660 cc