How does a DRZ400SM compare with the MZ Baghira???

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

How does a DRZ400SM compare with the MZ Baghira???

Postby alex1206 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:19 am

Hi
I have been in the market for a supermoto/dual sport bike for a long time, and finally... I have enough money to purchase. I am looking currently at drz400sm and the mz baghira. i noticed the baghira about a year ago and fell in love. but I was always a little worried about the ride height as im only 30" inseam..

anyways, the drz400sm is also a pretty good bike. a little more money, seems fairly reliable, and makes roughly 45bhp stock. there are a few mods that help the responsiveness, but as a new rider i dont see me needing to mod anytime soon.

How do you guys think the mz baghira compares with the drz400, I know the Bahira should be faster, how does the ride quality and turning compare? they say the drz400 turns very well and is a BLAST to ride.
Attachments
DRmotard18.jpg
DRmotard18.jpg (70.53 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
alex1206

Postby m4panther » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:33 am

I don't know about the inseam with a reduced height model, but I do know you'll be able to do about 120MPH on the Black panther and the DRZ tops out at about 85. If you're thinking about the Aprilia I was told those motors have to be rebuilt every 80 hours. I've got 17,000+ hard miles on my Baggie and it doesn't even burn oil. I never rode a DRZ so I can't comment on how it turns, but when i'm out with sport bike riders They have to coast through the turns and I just weave threw them in the turns.....They piss all over my on the highway, but that's why I got the 1000s :P
If it bleeds for a week and doesnt die....Dont' trust it!
2001 Black Panther
2004 1000s
m4panther

used

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:09 pm

if your in the usa a used or new old stock BP is all you can get

and at half the price of a drz

that said ... Its BP for ME
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Garf » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:47 pm

I havent ridden the DRZ but it is a nice bike by all the accounts i have read. We went to look at one recently as my wife wants to trade her ZXR400 for a motard but when she sat on it she reckoned it was taller than my Baggy, albiet slimmer and lighter. I had a turn and she was right, it was quite a lot taller (I have the hieght reduced BP with the front forks lowered by another 15mm)

The DRZ is the more modern bike and no doubt will be well supported in the US by Suzuki dealerships. Many of the MZ's bits and pieces are 'relics' of the 90's and have been used in other mainstream bikes from Yamaha and KTM so day to day consumable parts would not be a problem. Sling it down the road and sourcing the MZ specifics might be a little trickier, although BSA regal in the UK will ship them Stateside. Although the componants are not right up to date the MZ is more than a sum of its parts and goes extremely well.

The MZ is faster, the bigger motor pulls harder, it goes well, stops OK, corners very well, will be cheaper if you can find one, wont be seen on every street corner ....go for the MZ mate !!

Down sides are its weight (although it probably helps it feel less skittish and more planted), front brake is good but could be better, forks are a bit sloppy as standard BUT as a new rider you may not notice these things. When you do you can sort them out for relatively little money.

Good luck and happy hunting.

PS check out the weights and dims on the suzuki and MZ websites ...i think they list seat height as well.
HR Black Panther
Garf

Postby Flipper » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:16 pm

Hi, I test rode the Suzuki DR-Z400S (Trail version) A few years ago,
Shortly before buying the Baggy.
Some Useful Statistics:
DRZ 400 SM......--............................Baggy
39 BHP.......................Power............50 BHP
890 mm..................Seatheight.........900mm (860 for HR Model)
134 Kg.......................Weight...........180 Kg
85 MPH........(Realistic top speed)......105 MPH

I wasn't impressed with the power of the DR (nor the fuel injection), although it was lighter, thinner and more nimble than the baggy. The Baggy just feels right. has more power, torque and a higher top speed.
Both are good around town, short commutes and back roads, but only the baggy is really capable of motorways or faster roads (just).
The Baggy is far more capable carrying a pillion.
Handling on the Baggy can be improved further with more road oriented tyres.

The DR is the more serious supermoto, but if that's what you want you'd be better off looking at KTM.

Backup could be a problem for the MZ (parts can be an issue).
Not an issue with Suzuki. Although this site is excellent for help and support.

The Baggy is a fair bit cheaper, but the re-sale value is not so good.

I have the same inside leg / inseam (30 inch). I found the DR a bit on the tall side. I have the HR version of the baggy, and have no problem at all with the seat height. The only disadvantage with the Baggy is its weight.

I would go for the Baggy every time, but if you wanted an unbiased opinion you are probably looking in the wrong place.

Test ride them both, see which suits you best.
Flipper

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:16 am

I wasn't impressed with the power of the DR (nor the fuel injection), although it was lighter, thinner and more nimble than the baggy. The Baggy just feels right. has more power, torque and a higher top speed.
snip
The DR is the more serious supermoto, but if that's what you want you'd be better off looking at KTM.

Well, over here the Suzi is the killer bike, virtually running away from everything else on the supermoto track. I have no truck with supermoto, but I've seen them in action several times at racing events were I was running my own stuff, and it is awesome how they trounce the KTMs, half way down the next little straight before the big bores are even out of the corner.
The difference of 40kgs =88lbs is most of the reason.

But, of course none of these are fit for the road. That is not what they're for. And longevity was and is not a topic in their development, especially for KTMs. Under that aspect, any of the japanese engines is worlds better, obviously including the MZ.

For road use, the MZ or the Yamaha engined Aprilia or the Yamaha is definitely the much better bet.

but, 190kmh = 120mph? noway! - physically impossible with 48bhp and that aerodynamic profile.
Go figure. I said that defines the rules of physics.
The SZR, much lower and with an aerodynamically halfway useful fairing, runs barely 180kmh flat out with tucked-in rider wearing racing leathers.
The Skorpion not even that due to its larger profile. All with the exact same engine.
Always stoped speeds, not fantastic speedo readouts, which on the MZs is always nothing short of fantastic(al). As in fantasy.
Bill Jurgenson

Postby AtomicSpew » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:37 pm

Hey Alex-
I'm going to chime in on this, but I probably won't be saying anything new (Doh!)...

I've ridden a stock-height DRZ-SM, and as you know I own a Baggy that I've ridden lowered via Scorpion dogbones, and also at original factory height, which is where I've left it. I'm about a 31" inseam and an overall height of a hair under 6' tall. I fit OK on each bike at stock height. The Suzy is MUCH lighter in actual weight AND feel, and though it's rated at less HP than the Baggy, it doesn't feel quite as anemic as I've heard others say (not particularly on this forum, just in general), even at my 215lbs of heft. I think those guys are comparing the DRZ to really torquey KTM's, converted XR's and the like. I do find the brakes on the MZ to be excellent (comes stock with braided SS lines and massive front rotors), but perhaps the people on this site who rate the MZ brakes as needing improvement are riding something with race-quality brakes. Point is, I've never found them lacking, and "stoppies" are easily achieved with the Baggy.

Depending on your height/weight, as a new rider, I think you could do well with either bike. The DRZ, as others have pointed out, retain their resale, have parts galore, and are lighter and more flickable in the street. The downside (if you see it that way), is that a lot of people have them. The MZ is a unique ride, but resale isn't as strong and if you decide that riding isn't your thing, the MZ could be more difficult to unload for a price you want to get.

So if all these items are a wash for you, which bike gives you a boner?
:lol:

Stop, drop and roll doesn't work in hell...
AtomicSpew

Postby tuny » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:56 pm

hi, wel i have owned 1 DRZ400 and 2 mastiff's and stil am driving a mastiff ! does this tell you enough? the drz is a fun bike but with the drz it is not funn driving with other not sm bikes where the mz makes no problems at all, with no kind of track or road. and the power is (my opinion) on a drz a little to low. however, suzuki hase the new RMZ450 this is a real KILLER machine!!! less wheath and more power, more rev's only downside is it hase only 4 gears. but over the whole line i prefer the mastiff. spacialy if you prep it, its so easy to do and drives so good around corners. cant live without my mastiff.
bandit rocks, mastiff kills
tuny

Return to 660 cc