Paddock stand bobbins

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Paddock stand bobbins

Postby kendo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:05 am

Hi,
Has anyone tried to fit bobbins to their swingarm so a paddock stand can be used.I have tried to use the cups on the stand but the sprocket bolt heads catch the inside of the cups stopping the wheel from turning.

Questions-- 1 Is the metal thick enough to be tapped M8 for the bobbins?
2 Will i fit the bobbins on the side of the swingarm with one bolt or under the swingarm (like my ZRX) with a bracket that has two mounting points?
3 Can i drill and tap the centre of the front and rear wheel spindle to take the M8 screws for the bobbins?

Any input would be grateful,
Kendo.
kendo

item 3

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:56 am

3 Can i drill and tap the centre of the front and rear wheel spindle to take the M8 screws for the bobbins?

Ans....when i worked in a bowling ally in the 1970,s
we had a drill bit that would drill a hole in an electric motor shaft
so we could attach a clutch to motor

so some where there is a drill bit that will do it but finding
a tapping die to cut the threads will be a real find

local industral repair machine shop will know where to get them
and the very tuff bolts needed

phil at bsa may be able to ask this info of workers in an other division
at BSA REGAL as they do all kinds of stuff in the other companys in the group

ar dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Drew » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:08 pm

Will a standard (non-spooled) rear stand not work? It sounds like you're going to go through a lot of effort to fit the bike to the tool, and not the other way around!

Check out Pit-Bull's Standard Rear stand, and let me know if that will work.
Relax. You'll live longer.
Drew

Postby keithcross » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:31 pm

I have been using a motocross stand for my Baghira for a long time with great sucess.
I gave up with a paddock stand and still dont really trust them as I had a bike fall off of one once.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Paddock stand.

Postby kendo » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:49 pm

Drew,
With regards to the different types of stand supports -- the type that i have on my ZRX are the bobbin type so my stand has the hook style of supports fitted. The stand also came with the rubber covered cups that fit under and up the inside of the swingarm which i have found catch the sprocket retaining bolts and prevent the wheel from turning, that is why i was looking to fit bobbins to the swingarm.The stand that you gave me the link to would do the job but if i could fit bobbins at $10 then i could spend the remaining $124 on something nice for the bike (sticky rubber) on maybe even a dynojet kit. With regards to making the bobbins fit the swingarm (if the metal is thick enough) the entire job should take around 10 mins to complete both sides.(6.5mm drill and a M8 taper tap both of which i have in the garage).

Thanks again,
Kendo.
kendo

Postby keithcross » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:12 pm

As you can do the work yourself, then tapping a thread in the rear wheel spindle shouldent be a problem. There might not be the room to fit the bobbons unless they are smaller in outside diameter than the spindle. The down side is that if they are fitted to the spindle, then you wount be able to use the paddock stand to remove the rear wheel :(
As the swingining arm is made of Ally, I am not sure if it would be up to mounting bobbins or not, but a proper engineering shop may be able to do something, maybe fit a piece of metal all the way through the swinging arm on each side, to take a thread for teh bobbins. This would probablly be dearer than buying an alternititve stand though..

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Return to 660 cc