Replacing Baghira Front Fork Seals

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Replacing Baghira Front Fork Seals

Postby keithcross » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:47 am

Hi

Just replaced one of my front fork seals and I think I should let you all know of an error in te MZ Front Fork Manual.
The manual states that to remove the seal "with a screwdriver exert a pressure under the seal in order for it to come out" It also recommends that a bushing is used to protect the fork leg.
I did not attempt to do it this way as it looked a bit risky. I used an internal bearing puller to remove mine and I recommend you to use a similar method.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby Du Can » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:51 pm

Good call Keith.

Also, when replacing the seal due to failure, consider replacing the bushings as well.

My 02 Baghira (Marzocchi Magnum fork) blew the seal twice in less than 500km on the compression side. After replacing the offending seal AND the bushings in that leg, she is holding tight 3000+km later.

This is funny: The fork is almost identical to my Marzocchi Z2 mountain bike fork, but much bigger.
Harley guys hate me...ha ha ha!
Du Can

Postby kman.45 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:14 am

Du Can wrote:Good call Keith.

Also, when replacing the seal due to failure, consider replacing the bushings as well.

My 02 Baghira (Marzocchi Magnum fork) blew the seal twice in less than 500km on the compression side. After replacing the offending seal AND the bushings in that leg, she is holding tight 3000+km later.

This is funny: The fork is almost identical to my Marzocchi Z2 mountain bike fork, but much bigger.

Wow, do a search for fork seal and get this. I just found my leaking seal yesterday during a ride. Leaking on the compression side (left). Was hoping to find a US source too for seals, wipers, and bushings.
kman.45

seals

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:27 am

http://www.peakmoto.com/servlet/StoreFront

others have ordered from them
but look at old seal for size or some one on the site may know
the size or k&s part number
ar dave

peaka
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Seal height

Postby kman.45 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:28 pm

Actually I just got off the phone with Race Tech, and the tech told me the bushings and dust seals are the same for all 45mm Marzochi forks (USD or conventional), but they have two different heights of oil seals. 8.5 mm and 11mm, so unless somebody can tell us which one it is, I guess I'll be pulling the forks apart before ordering parts. Which might not be a bad idea anyway so I can see if I need bushings or not. At 11K km, I wouldn't think so, but something just made the oil seal fail (bumps and railroad tracks don't count do they?) :oops:
kman.45

jump

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:50 pm

jumping off loading docks and tall TENN. CLIFFS does not do them any good
:smt018 :smt040
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby cat » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:23 am

is the seal size not specified in the Marzocchi pdf? or do they just give a part number? (i'll check now.) when you get the size/whatever information, please post it and i'll add it to the parts doc.

are those seal puller tools no good for this? (it seems like they could damage whatever they're bearing down on.)
what type of internal bearing puller is it, Keith? - the shock/slide hammer type?
cat

Postby kman.45 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:23 am

cat wrote:is the seal size not specified in the Marzocchi pdf? or do they just give a part number? (i'll check now.) when you get the size/whatever information, please post it and i'll add it to the parts doc.

Marzocchi pdf? Oooh, please do share. I was just going to service forks blind, figuring they were pretty much like every other fork I've taken apart, but hey pics and words are always good.. With a part number, maybe Race Tech can cross reference?

Kyle
kman.45

Got seal sizes

Postby kman.45 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:06 pm

So I pulled the forks apart tonight. The seals in my forks are NOK brand. Sure enough the oil seal is 45x58x11mm, and is so stamped. The dust seal is stamped 45 58.4 4.6 14, which relates to 45 inner diamer, 58.4 outer where it fits in fork leg (a tiny bit oversized cuz it has little ribs that get compressed, the 4.6mm is the depth it seats into the fork leg, and 14mm is the total height. That 4.6mm seat depth is not very critical as there is plenty of room between the bottom of that seal and the top of the oil seal.

The bushing on the inner leg is 45 x 20 high x 1 thick. The bushing in the outer leg is 45 x 25 high x 2.5 thick. Both of these are as listed by Race Tech for both the USD and conventional Marzocchi 45mm forks.

At only 11K km, I was a bit surprised at the wear on the bushings. The inner leg bushing look pretty good, but the outer leg bushings have a bit of wear (can see copper base), enough so I will replace them, soon as I figure how to get the damn things out. The oil was pretty filthy too. And maybe I've ridden 600-800 kms on gravel roads in that 11,000 km, maybe... But it's black filth, not dirt/gravel colored.

Oh, and a really good seal "puller" turned out to be my spoon tire iron. Turned it so the spoon was curved up, put thick piece of bottle plastic on top of fork leg, and the seals slipped right out. Honestly could probably use them again. The outer leg bushing though...hmmmm.
kman.45

Postby OLDMTNCARVER » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:17 pm

kman.45,
Haven't been watching, sorry...
If you go to the forum and select 660, on the second page the third post down has down loads of what you might have been looking for...
Good to hear the seals weren't damaged and thank you for the valuable information.
Highest regards,
Robert
OLDMTNCARVER

Postby phlat65 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:36 pm

FYI, you can make a seal driver out of a peice of PVC pipe that is slightly larger ID than the leg OD, cut a 2 inch peice, then split it in 2, I filed a groove around the outside so I could put a hose clamp on it.

to remove the bushings on my USD forks, once the dust seal is removed and you remove the ring that retains the seal, just use the inner tube like a slide hammer, by sliding it out forcefully until both the seal and bushing come out. I have serviced forks many times this way, and is how my suspension guy would do it.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

info

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:37 pm

http://www.mzriders.com/mz/viewtopic.php?t=1747

paste of link to above info
ar dave

search word =sealsa
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Re: Got seal sizes

Postby cat » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:49 am

Thanks. Updated the MZ Baghira - Technical Data, Service Specifications, Alternative Parts.mht. I'll upload later.

Good one with the improvised seal puller. :-)

The dirt, black, is mostly metal particles mixed with the oil - that's why it's black-ish. Not many people change fork oil often enough.

PS: The 45mm for the bushings, is that 45 ID for the inner/tube ones and 45 ...OD/ID for the outer/slider ones?
cat

Re: Got seal sizes

Postby kman.45 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:37 am

cat wrote:Thanks. Updated the MZ Baghira - Technical Data, Service Specifications, Alternative Parts.mht. I'll upload later.

Good one with the improvised seal puller. :-)

The dirt, black, is mostly metal particles mixed with the oil - that's why it's black-ish. Not many people change fork oil often enough.

PS: The 45mm for the bushings, is that 45 ID for the inner/tube ones and 45 ...OD/ID for the outer/slider ones?

yeah, no doubt all internal wear gunk in the oil. the 45 mm spec is not really the true diameters because the bushings are split rings that open up, but yeah, the inner leg bushing is 45 mm outside diameter, the material faces "out". The outer leg bushing is 45mm inside diameter and the material faces "in"
kman.45

Postby kman.45 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:03 pm

phlat65 wrote:to remove the bushings on my USD forks, once the dust seal is removed and you remove the ring that retains the seal, just use the inner tube like a slide hammer, by sliding it out forcefully until both the seal and bushing come out. I have serviced forks many times this way, and is how my suspension guy would do it.

Hell of a tip! I put the inner bushing back on, pushed the inner tube back into the outer, gave a tiny tug and the outer bushing slid right out!

Here's a pic of the bushings. Left fork is on the left, you can see the extra wear on that side. The outer leg bushing is significantly more worn than the right leg, and the scoured part you can see is rough. The inner bushing was more worn than right side also.
Attachments
bushings.JPG
bushings.JPG (83.36 KiB) Viewed 6807 times
kman.45

Next

Return to 660 cc