skorpion sport cub?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

skorpion sport cub?

Postby Kbooth » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:09 pm

I just picked up a 2001 Skorpion Sport Cub from a buddy of mine. I know nothing about these machines other than its a Yamaha engine. This particular bike needs some work which brings me to my problem. I cannot even come up with any pictures or info on a Sport (Cub) only find sport cup in internet searches, almost like this does not exist. Perhaps I am missing something. I need a wind screen, clutch cable, tail light, and this is just the beginning. The bike has a oil leak and needs other work as well. Please help me restore this interesting machine!
Kbooth

Re: skorpion sport cub?

Postby guitarzan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:38 pm

Full fairing bike? Probably a Sport Cup. Never heard of a Sport Cub.
Try googling "skorpion sport cup", then selecting images.
You should see a few pictures of them. Lots of good info here, look through 660 cc index.
guitarzan

Postby Anders » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:59 am

Windscreen is the same on all Skorpion Sport models http://www.grahamsmotorcycles.com/ have parts list and numbers on their site for anything that you may need.
I have seen aftermarket windscreens for the Skorpion Sport on http://www.ebay.co.uk or http://www.ebay.de I believe that the OEM part may be hard to come by these days.

The OEM tail lights break due to vibration, you are much better off fitting something else, LED based for instance.

As for oil leaks, engine seals and gaskets are Yamaha OEM but you should check the oil lines/hoses from the engine to the oil tank as this is the most likely source of your leakage.
In my garage:
Honda VTR 1000F -00
Orion-29 125cc, Midsize
49cc Bike engine kit toy
Yamaha SRX-6 -86
MuZ Skorpion 660 -95
Polaris 6x6 Big Boss

Nordic SRX/MuZ/SZR forum
Anders

Postby samandkimberly » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:37 am

These guys have several MZ windscreens:

http://www.bikescreen.com/search.asp

Just do a search for MZ. Quality is excellent, but you have to drill your own bolt holes. They will also do custom screens, if you can describe exactly what you want. They're in the US, in FL.
samandkimberly

Postby guitarzan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:52 pm

Anders wrote:The OEM tail lights break due to vibration, you are much better off fitting something else, LED based for instance.

Anders, what tail light did you select for your Sport? I'm trying to find a replacement that is close to the same size that blends well with the original look.
Any suggestions are appreciated. Never had this issue with the SRX600 or SR500 which had a bit more vibration. :?
guitarzan

Postby Anders » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:46 am

I took something that a friend had collecting dust in a corner, no idea what bike it came from originally though. No brand markings.

A Honda VTR SP1 or SP2 taillight looks like it could fit but you need to check the dimensions, replace the bulb with a LED and you're good to go. :D
In my garage:
Honda VTR 1000F -00
Orion-29 125cc, Midsize
49cc Bike engine kit toy
Yamaha SRX-6 -86
MuZ Skorpion 660 -95
Polaris 6x6 Big Boss

Nordic SRX/MuZ/SZR forum
Anders

Postby Kbooth » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:12 am

I wanted to thank you for your replies. I tried contacting Grahams on Monday via email have not heard any thing back yet. I had considered this bike to be a sport cup it does have full fairings. I thought it to be strange it had sport "cub" written on the side of its fairings. I had considered the LED route with the rear light now I know they vibrate apart I will go with that now. Thanks again everyone!
Kbooth

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:35 am

check with GP500
they make several variations for the Skorpion, both higher for road use and lower for the track and all in certified heavy thickness (MOT) and thin for the track, all in the modern bubble style.
Much better both in quality and design (=actual usefulness!) than the OEM screen which is too flat to do any real good and thick and heavy and easily scratched.
I've been using them for years and also have one mounted on my SZR - I instigated their making a screen for the SZR. (not the OEM screen on the SZR in the picture!)

here is the picture from the GP500 site:
Bill Jurgenson

Tail light suicide

Postby jimc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:10 pm

My ('96 Skorpion Sport) plastic tail light self destructed last week. Mounting areas cracked .
I had an old aftermarket light that fits the same mounting centers, only requires some 3/8 spacers.and installing longer 5mm bolts. leave the original rubber back and washers in place.
this appears to be the same item.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/produ ... 697&mmyId=
catalog description = Emgo Lucas Style Taillight Dennis Kirk Part #: 211697 Manufacturer Part #: 6221500
Probably available thru Parts Unlimited as well. It's a 13$ item, but the housing is steel, and so far is holding up just fine,
and you can actually get replacement lens too.
I'll post a picture and mounting detail..........It looks OK and is as bright as the MZ el cheapo.
1996 Skorpion Sport
1981 XT550 Yamaha
1989 KDX200 Kaw
1994 Duc 900cr
jimc

Skorpion Sport tail light

Postby jimc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:39 pm

Probably too much info but here goes...
The 13$ Emgo Tail light cited in my previous post has the same center to center mounting as the original MZ item.
Lite1.JPG

Need to remove the too short (5mm) mounting studs supplied and add spacers and longer bolts and nuts.
Otherwise the light socket backside interferes with the oil tank.Aluminum spacers I used happen to be 10mm thick and about 3/4 inch outside diameter.
Bigger diameter is good, if you have any doubts, reach back and touch the tail light sometime at speed
and you'll see how it really gets buzzed.The original MZ mounting bolts are 6mm, so some plastic tubing on the bolt where it goes thru the original rubber washers and backer takes up the wiggle.
Lite2.JPG

I bolted it from the oil tank side and added lock nuts where it threads thru the light .
Note this light grounds thru the frame, so a jumper is needed to connect to the MZ grounding spade connector.
Lite3.JPG

Good luck.
1996 Skorpion Sport
1981 XT550 Yamaha
1989 KDX200 Kaw
1994 Duc 900cr
jimc

Postby basser23 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Good find on the light!!!
I'm going to order one myself....you are right about the cheap Mz lamp..mine has broken twice,and lenses are not very available..the mounts do break
easily....
Chip
basser23

Postby guitarzan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:24 pm

JimC, thank you so much for posting the tail light fix! I just ordered the same Emgo (Lucas style) tail light from a local shop for $13. :idea:
It is very close in shape and size as the Sport, and should work just fine. The "how to" pics save a lot of time, and I really appreciate that.
guitarzan

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:50 am

just for the books the original taillight is the same part as that found on a Ducati 750 or 900SS.
the Tour tail light is the same as that of a Monster.

Doesn't make either of them better, tho.
Not too many original tail lights driving around.
Bill Jurgenson

Re: skorpion rear light

Postby mr.combo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:31 pm

For anyone else looking to replace their Skorpion Tour/Traveller tail light lens it is the same one as fitted to the Ducati Monster 600/750/900 (1994-2007) and the Buell S1/X1/M2/Blast (1999-2003).

I found a complete tail-light unit at http://www.clearalternatives.com fitted with both red and white LEDs (the same looking LED unit at Wemoto: http://shop.wemoto.com/pictures.dyn?u=5834533qqq5828276 ). I'm sure that there will be supliers in the US, too.
It's designed as an after-market replacement for a Ducati Monster and is a clear plastic unit with coloured lights, rather than the red plastic one fitted with clear bulbs as standard. Since it's a straight replacement fitment was simple, although I did have to change the connectors from bullet to blade connectors.

What about the end result? Well, it’s as bright if not brighter at night, should last longer as LEDs don’t blow and has a rubber boot at the rear so is a lot more waterproof than the standard unit which, if all else fails I can re-fit as easily as I took it off as I still have it in a box in the shed.

I do wish I had seen a red unit first, though. I prefer them to the clear unit I fitted as I'm not really a fan of these. But it does work, so I'm not really complaining.
mr.combo

Postby basser23 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:26 pm

Regarding thhe Skorpion tail light...I just put on that Emgo Light from Dennis Kirk and it looks great...no more messing with the stock unit
hopefully this one will not fall apart....I followed JMC's post,put on spacers and 30mm long 5mm bolts with nylock nuts and washers.
IT is solid....got a funky connector for the running light,but I'll attend to that later......a note,I had to cut the original bolts off and drill
them out cause they would not unscrew from the frame of the light....
basser23

Next

Return to 660 cc