God Help Me ...

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: God Help Me ...

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Sat May 29, 2010 2:48 am

Front wheel is no problem but the rear is a no go.
Been there-done it
Bill Jurgenson

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Sat May 29, 2010 3:32 am

I don't know what sort of lean or hang off you expect but I never ever grounded mine - except in a fall.
a43005_061.jpg

I wasn't slow, either. Lacking a SOS class here in Germany most of the time (there is one again now that I am too old to race), I raced against 2 valve Ducatis and the like and was by no means last. Beat 916s, too, if the track had no long straights like the Lausitzring (Photo).
In your photo they are hung quite low but there would be no problem hanging them higher.
Obviously, tho, motors that don't have two-port heads don't have 2 in 2s either: KTM, Husaberg, MaliJawa, Ducati Supermono...
ccc6_3.JPG

this the works racer from MuZ

Leftside3.jpg

BikeWorx "works bike" Maynard Mass.

Our own Chris Hunsicker from Philidelphia. Chris became domestic and sold his MZ last year.
If the pipes look familiar, they are. I sold him my set when I quit real racing 2007.
Chris also had the referred to TZ250RR wheels, 3.5" and 5" mounted.
Here is what he wrote me privately 2006 after a first outing with them:
What I can comment on is more seat of the
pants type stuff. Acceleration, turn-in, and braking seemed quicker and
more precise. I was able to out-run a stock SV650 on the straight, on
acceleration, which I don't think I've ever done before. Usually I have
to pass people on the brakes.
More anecdotal evidence. I seem to be doing a lot of passing, whereas in
the advanced group usually I am content with just holding my own. The
head instructor was so impressed he asked me to be a coach at the next
track day (which ended up getting fogged out.).
Bill Jurgenson

Postby morbidelli17 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:55 am

Awesome pics. I used to race my SV500 against a guy out here named Jim Rau, whose Mz was bloody fast (and so was he). I can tell you about nearly pitching it away - I mean, going completely sideways - in Turn Eight at Willow trying to keep up with him as he went past. But I've got no intention of building the bike to his state of tune. Funny thing is, I've seen pics of most of those bikes before; as I said, I've dreamed of having one of these for a while, and it's a small community.

In re: pipes - the ones on my bike seem to be mounted far lower than yours. When I raced an Mz earlier this year, I was touching down parts, and I get my body off the bike pretty well already, so that was one thing I was concerned about on mine.

Those unprotected tire walls scare the shit out of me. They remind me to pimp the Roadracing World Action Fund:

http://actionfund.roadracingworld.com/

... which buys airfence for tracks in the U.S. and Canada. I donate, I assist, and I encourage every one who races or loves racing to do so, as well.

Will fill you in on details about pipe, bodywork, and wheels as they come about. Peace, yo - M
morbidelli17

Postby samandkimberly » Sat May 29, 2010 10:34 pm

Bill Jurgenson wrote:Front wheel is no problem but the rear is a no go.
Been there-done it

OK, I took a look at the rear this afternoonand I can see a challenge, but not an insurmountable one. The carrier almost lines up perfectly - on the outside. The problem is that the wheel ends up ~10mm to the right of the centerline in its stock form. But this seems possible to alleviate by turning 10mm off of the inside of the carrier. This isn't exactly simple, but it's also not overly complicated in this case. Bill - how much do you remember about trying this out? Is there something I'm missing?

I may take a while to actually go ahead and do this, as the tires on my stock rims are near new, and the MZ doesn't get the miles it should. I hate to throw out a perfectly good set of rubber. But I want to see if this works; there are a lot of Monster/750ss wheels out there for cheap, at least here in the US.

Sam
samandkimberly

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Sun May 30, 2010 1:55 am

Despite having a complete machine shop at hand
werkstatt.jpg

I did not investigate further after seeing that the centerline was that far off.
I don't remember why and it might have had to do with MOT considerations over here which are very stringent.
Taking off 10mm is quite a bit from a cast part.
Bill Jurgenson

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Sun May 30, 2010 3:53 am

here's some more pics of a well-done Yamaha engined SOS.

NICE!

he obviously took a very close look at the MZ works machines.
Bill Jurgenson

Postby samandkimberly » Sun May 30, 2010 7:51 am

Good. I was concerned that you were seeing something I wasn't, and there's not that much to see! Taking 10mm off may look like a lot but this is also a relatively low stress part. What I will probably do is turn the existing one down to fit, try it out, then make a new one in my shop.

IMG_5658.JPG

I'll post pics when I do it. I think it would take a sharp guy to notice it wasn't stock, but I have heard horror stories about inspection in Germany. Then again, I've seen stuff over there that I wouldn't pass.

Sam

Bill Jurgenson wrote:Despite having a complete machine shop at hand
The attachment werkstatt.jpg is no longer available

I did not investigate further after seeing that the centerline was that far off.
I don't remember why and it might have had to do with MOT considerations over here which are very stringent.
Taking off 10mm is quite a bit from a cast part.
samandkimberly

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Mon May 31, 2010 12:42 pm

took two closeups of my XT exhaust system showing how well it fits the the Skorpion frame, as if made for it.
DSC_5709.JPG

DSC_5714.JPG
Bill Jurgenson

Postby morbidelli17 » Mon May 31, 2010 1:48 pm

I really, really like that high-mount system.
morbidelli17

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:14 am

So do I but as I said, the ports of the XT600 head are quite different.
I have a hunch, tho, that that system from Germany for the new XT660 head could be made to fit like this pretty easily if the splay of the ports of the new head are similar to the XTZ. And I am pretty sure they are because the new 4-valve engine is or will be used in quads, i.e. as the replacement for the 5-valve 660 engine there.
I will contact the guys here in German from the site an try to find out.
Bill Jurgenson

Postby basser23 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:47 am

Bill,Michael,

I had contacted the guys at OfftheRoad.com and they indicated that the headers in the xt660 x racing pic would indeed fit the xtz660 head.
but you may want to double check with them.
Michael,they mentioned shipping to US at about 30Euro.
Chip
basser23

Postby morbidelli17 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:41 pm

So I had the Skorp back in my possession for a couple hours running it from the pipe guy to the race shop. Now it's getting the rear shock rebuilt and getting run on the dyno, just to make sure it's healthy and happy. It was racing with the last owner in February, but a little TLC doesn't hurt. Anyway, here's a shot of the pipe.

I noticed that the SV650 and Mz have the same diameter fork tubes. Anyone tried slipping an SV front end into the Mz triples? The SV front end isn't the greatest, but with emulators it's not bad, and it would be a simple way to get a wider, lighter front wheel and better brakes. I've got three SVs in the garage, and hell, I can't ride them all at once ...

Should have it back next week to do final prep for race weekend.

p.s. Note the uber-trick, ultra-light Michelob beer bottle catch canister ... :shock:
Attachments
Mz Pipe 009.JPG
Neat, tidy 2-1 pipe. Putting the pegs back where they belong is on the to-do immediately list ...
morbidelli17

Postby basser23 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:49 pm

Michael,
Very cool,I like the exhaust system....$$$? Let me have have the name and address of your exhaust guy..and let us know how it works during your
race stint..nothin' like a Michelob catch can.....
by the by,was the exhaust cannister an off the shelf item or custom made?
Thanks
Chip

On the front end,if you've got 3 SV's why not try it......R6 fronts fit plug and play pretty much..
basser23

Postby morbidelli17 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:56 pm

To fab everything from the headers back (I've attached a photo showing where the old and new systems meet) was $300. That included the exhaust canister, which the guy makes himself. It's Mark McDade at http://marksperformance.com/

After the first outing on the bike, I'll try bolting up an SV front end. If I've read correctly, the R6 swap requires you to bore out the stock MZ triples. Not a big deal, I'm certain, but since I've got the SV stuff ...

Just finished painting the new tail section. If I get a chance later, I'll take some pics of the wrapped upper fairing and gas tank and post them. I wanted to use wrap on those parts because the tank is pretty beat up, and fairings take a sandblasting at the desert tracks of the Western U.S. Wrap is a lot more durable than most paints.
Attachments
Mz Pipe 002.JPG
morbidelli17

Postby morbidelli17 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Wrapped fairing and gas tank. A little red vinyl tape for accent, and good enough for a race bike. At the price of what the team painter charges, I'll save myself enough for a front and two rear tires.
Mz parts 003.JPG
morbidelli17

PreviousNext

Return to 660 cc