Spotlights anyone?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Spotlights anyone?

Postby collajove » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:09 pm

Has anyone fitted spots to a Baggy or Mastiff? Any tips as to make or fitting. Nightime winter Rides are thankfully few,but a rainy night-ride from the ferry in Poole back to South Wales was not just dimly lit but truly scary.Hope never to repeat it.Help!!!
History: 1964 Puch Alpine 150;1975 Suzuki GT380;1989 MZ ETZ 250 Luxus;2004 MZ Mastiff 660.Heading South.
collajove

Postby keithcross » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:26 pm

Hi

I have spotlights fitted to my baggi and they work no problem. I have them wired via a relay and have arranged the relay to operate on main beam only.
To mount them I have used 4 handlebar clamps off of a Honda.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Re: Spotlights anyone?

Postby Nataraj » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:30 am

collajove wrote:Has anyone fitted spots to a Baggy or Mastiff? Any tips as to make or fitting. Nightime winter Rides are thankfully few,but a rainy night-ride from the ferry in Poole back to South Wales was not just dimly lit but truly scary.Hope never to repeat it.Help!!!

I took a different route to en"light"enment. I swapped out the standard 55/65 watt bulb for an 80/100 watt bulb. It made a huge difference. Also, cage drivers see me now. Yes, it's probably not legal. Sue me.
Ride wha'cha got and quit listening to those nattering na-bobs of negativity who say you can't ride cross-country on 'that bike'.
--------------------------------------------------
MZ Baghira SM
Honda 919
Rogue Custom (SR500 in Suz. GS500 chassis)
Nataraj

Mastiff Spotlights.

Postby collajove » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:56 pm

Thanks guys for the advice. Nataraj,I like the simplicity of your solution. I have 2 headlights on the Mastiff, both too small. I think I might go for the spot option,I worry about overloading the wiring by upgrading bulbs.Keith, where did you mount the spots? What make are they? I wouldn't have thought of wiring them to operate on flood beam. Good idea . Many thanks both.
History: 1964 Puch Alpine 150;1975 Suzuki GT380;1989 MZ ETZ 250 Luxus;2004 MZ Mastiff 660.Heading South.
collajove

Postby keithcross » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:41 pm

Hi

I used 2 driving lamps rather than spots as they give a better beam for the roads I use, from Halfords (a car accessory chain in the UK). I mounted these to the crashbar bars that the headlight etc is attached to, using some old Honda handlebar clamps that have been hanging around the workshop since the late 80's. I knew they would come in handy one day.
For wiring I carried out the following.
1. wire from the negitive battery connection to the earth connection on a spotlamp relay, leaving additional connections for the chassis connections from the additional lamps.
2. wire from the switched connection of the relay to the other wires for the additional lamps
3. wire from the live connection of the realy to the positive connection of the battery, via a 10 amp fuse of course.
4. Wire from the switching connection of the relay to a connection to the high beam wire.

The additional lamps come on with high beam (not really wanted when low is selected anyway). If it is wished that a switch to turn them off completely is required, a switch could be placed in line with to the wire described in 4.

Keith
keithcross

Spots.

Postby collajove » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:44 pm

Many thanks for the wiring advice. That will be really handy when I get to fit mine. I have the engine crash bars fitted and I might be able to fit them there.We shall see. Thanks mate!
collajove

Driving lamp mounting

Postby kerry » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:49 pm

Here's a pic. of how I installed my two 55 watt driving lamps. I used aluminum box stock 3/4"......it fits neatly between the speedo and the headlamp, and is bolted with stainless hardware, to the tube frame that holds the headlamp assy. I then used the mounting brackets that came with the lights to mount them to the box stock. It is very steadfast, and has held up to many offroad adventures. The added light is fantastic, and I think they look cool too!
Attachments
P1000597.jpg
P1000597.jpg (79.87 KiB) Viewed 3334 times
kerry

Postby keithcross » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:10 pm

The spot lights I used are in a similar position, but teh handle bar clamps used mean I didnt have to drill any bits and they are easily removable for the summer months

Keith
keithcross

Return to 660 cc