Single carb mod for skorpion

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Single carb mod for skorpion

Postby Srinath » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:55 am

I remember seeing a picture of a single carb on a skorpion.
Can someone send me that link.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Srinath

Re: Single carb mod for skorpion

Postby OLDMTNCARVER » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:10 am

www bikeworx com

Bikeworx
1 Kane Industrial Drive
Hudson, MA 01749

(978) 212 5235

Galen Miller is very knowledgable with the MZ line.
I would suggest you give him a call.

Knowing He is very busy, I had my questions in order and a result in mind.

OMC
OLDMTNCARVER

Postby Srinath » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:57 pm

That site didn't seem to have it. I'll google for it with the name cos I remember seeing it as a holeshot one with another person's name.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Srinath

Postby Srinath » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:00 pm

http://www.holeshot.com/old/mz/mz_sc.html
That's the one, thanks.
I am thinking if I get a single 38mm smoothbore how it would work on a street bike ?
Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:40 pm

first, that site is pretty old give it a try.
Two years ago, we bought all 5 manifolds Galen had left - or so he said at least.
At the time, he had no plans to make more.
No, the stock is not forsale.

I bought my first BikeWorx kit 8 years ago for my green Skorpion untilizing the TM42-6 Galen sold with the kit. It worked (and works) very well. (see my blog and site) and it very soon went to the blue street bike.
I have mounted several single carb setups with the BikeWorx manifold and with my air-cooled engine the OEM Yamaha manifold from the Grizzly. And I have used both TM40 and TM42 carbs amd 38 with an SRX motor.
38 is definitely too small for the 660. 40 is OK for the stock engine or mild tuning. I use it on the air-cooled 686 engine with pretty extensive tuning but there it is definitely a limiting factor. Tests with a 42 proved this but drivability was not quite as good. This is a 4 valve engine however.
with the 5 valve 660 the 42 is ideal if the exhaust can cope, otherwise the TM40-6.
38 is too small.
I have some experience with round slide carbs - Dellorto, Amal, Mikuni - and do not recommend them where a decent flat slide is available. They are very tedious to set up correctly. Believe me. Or find a setup/tuning guide for Dellortos online.
I raced with special-made Malossi smooth bores on the BIMOTA. Wouldn't dresm of using them for the Yamaha engine even if they fit under the tank - which they do not.
A good possibilty, tho, is using a Mikuni BST 40, a CV carb with the BikeWorx manifold. This what is used on the Grizzly with single carb manifold and also on many KTMs. These are easy to set up and very easy to drive. A friend how builds side car bikes http://www.mz-heinz.de uses this carb; he is the one who bought out Galen's stock for his side cars. But he uses a 42 on his own very special 14" side car.
Flat slides take some learning to ride well. The response is extremely quick and the travel short. They do not allow for uncontrolled right wrists and all the bad habits CV carbs and injection excuse.
excuse the length; if you can get that manifold kit from Galen by all means.
Bill Jurgenson

Postby OLDMTNCARVER » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:47 pm

Srinath,

I just gave you the information of one of the best.
You look at his site and don't call him?

I'd intended to modify a frame to accept one of his manifolds or as now I understand, make one of my own.

Bill, thank you for your information.

OMC
Last edited by OLDMTNCARVER on Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
OLDMTNCARVER

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:13 am

except for throwing out the airbox, which is a poor excuse anyway, no modications were necessary. Galen supplied everything necessary in the kit:
- manifold
- cable
- battery box
- hardware
- mikuni TM42-6
- K&N airfilter

being in Germany, I got the kit without the carb. As a shop, I can get the carb here from the importer at dealer's price.
Shipping was also cheaper.
Anyhow, everything fit perfectly. The photo shows the complete kit as listed above in my street bike.
in a customer's Skorpion, we decided to retain the airbox for appearance's sake as well as MOT. I removed the box and cut out top and front, leaving bottom, sides and battery carrying back in state and put it back in the frame. The manifoldwith TM40 & conical oval K&N fit between the sides of the box and the bike looks at a glance from the side
completely normal. The confines of the "airbox" also make it a bit quieter next to my own air-cooled bike withe same carb and filter but no shrouding.
As I have written in the past, for straight forward street use with an otherwise stock bike, I would mount a Mikuni TM34-B65 unit, a dual setup using two 34mm mounted with 70mm center/center on a single shaft. this fits as is to the stock rubber mounts on the head and, after slightly modifying the cable brackets, accepts the stock cables. Using a second right side rubber connecting hose from MZ for the left side - one needs only to enlarge the hole in the airbox -, the carb can be connected to the airbox as is and is even for knowledgable guys undetectable. The setup is the easiest and cheapest way to go, returns about 5hp more and 50km more range per tank full.

The big single carb is actually smaller in total cross section and the much longer intake delivers more midrange power. It is also more drivable but it is really an option for the race track. And it is at the bottom line a lot more expensive.
I have fit both setups several times; 40 and 42mm single carbs, 2x34 to tge box and with K&Ns, 34+38, 2x36, 2x38 all with K&Ns or with ram stacks and also 2x33 Keihin CR (smooth bore round slide).
I do have some basis for comparison.
I prefer the single setup myself for the street. European, especially German and Swiss, MOT being what it is, I almost always integrate a dual carb into the OEM Airbox, both Skorpion and SZR. For the circuit, only a dual setup with longer manifolds and ramstacks is viable. Best with as large an airbox as possible ( at least 8ktr) which contains the entire carb setup.
Slipstream used the hollowed out tank as airbox cover, putting the small (5ltr) tank under the seat where the box used to be. Thry did something simular with Mike Edwards "Gordon," gutting the OEM SZR Tank and making a small alu tank to fit inside and be fastened to that and using the whole as cover for cavernous alu box attached to the motor
One can find picture on the net.
ESA. european supermono association
Bill Jurgenson

Postby Srinath » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks so much guys - OMC and Bill.
OMC: I was thinking of the single carb mod cos the emulsion tube was broken off in mine and I was worried I wont be able to replace it.
Anyway I found a replacement @ a junkyard, extracted mine cut it off @ the right spot and used that junkyard one to replace what I broke.
It fits and should work like it was always ... So I dont need the single carb mod, I am not modding somthing when I really am good with the way it was before I opened the whole can of worms.

The new problem is jetting and getting it working just perfect. That I will do the old fashioned way. By working on it and riding it to test it.
Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

Postby Srinath » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:16 am

Does a Grizzly manifold fit ?

And cant we use a grizzly carb with it - I am not sure what size the carb is ?
I am a good carb tinkerer, I'd be able to get it to the sweet spot just fine.
I hate to go back and forth to the single carb mod, but I am attracted to the simplicity and the availability of parts for the carb. Thanks guys.
Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:30 am

I already wrote that the Grizzly manifold, neithe of the two, will fit.
I also already wrote that the Mikuni BST40 works - that is the "Grizzly carb."
Bill Jurgenson

Postby Srinath » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:33 am

Great bill, thanks millions.
Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

Postby Srinath » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:49 am

Oh, why does the grizzly manifold not fit, bolt patterm ? or something else.

Bolt pattern can be modded with an adapter plate cant it ? I live in nascar country, you cant even sneeze here without hitting an adpter plate.

Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

Postby basser23 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:27 pm

ye the bolt holes are at a different place..sorta reversed. So yes an adapter plate / spacer needs to be made.
morbidmadelli17 has had one made..$$$$ to use an FCR41 on his race bike with good success..Spacing should be as long as practical
2" is about what Bill J would recommend..if I remember correctly
You could also try an Edelbrock Raptor kit I guess...
basser23

Postby Srinath » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:19 pm

Great, let me pick some grizzly parts off the junkyard and try next time I go there.
Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

Postby samandkimberly » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:07 am

FWIW, I bought the spacer kit for the stock carb from Tunebike:

http://tunebike.de/Deutsch/Home_DE/Tuni ... gaser.html

...made a very positive difference with the stock carb, enough for me to at least postpone any sort of carb upgrade for a while. About 60 Euro/75 USD, give or take.

Sam
samandkimberly

Next

Return to 660 cc