sloppy gear change / linkage.

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

sloppy gear change / linkage.

Postby handsomejackuk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi,

anyone modified their gear change / linkage, as mine seems a little sloppy , will probably strip it down over the next few days to see if i can improve the action a bit...

Advice please...

Al...
I'm a schizophrenic so am I !!!!
handsomejackuk

Re: sloppy gear change / linkage.

Postby handsomejackuk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Just stripped it all down, what I was wondering, is what sort of angle is the linkage on the selector on your engine, mine was straight up which seems to give too much movement, i have moved the lever a few degrees to the left, and extended the adjuster. There does seem to be some wear in the quick release pivot pin, and on the foley gear rubber, and on the pivot point to the frame, all of this adds up to a sloppy gear shift. I will be renewing, shunning up the movement and will advise on this, are any of these bits available ?
handsomejackuk

Postby basser23 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:04 pm

This is on a Skorp or baggie?
I have a Skorp and changed to a one lever direct shifter using a GP pattern
Chip
basser23

Postby handsomejackuk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:15 am

ahhh,

sorry Baggie... made it a bit better, but still a tad of slop in the mechanismo...

Al...
handsomejackuk

Postby basser23 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:34 am

Al,
Think an XT lever may work for ya. You'll have to bend it a bit..Mine was from a Chinese
(Malaysian actually) scooter and is adjustable fore and aft a bit,works a treat
and now the only slop is in the shfter mechanism and it is minimal
basser23

Postby handsomejackuk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:39 am

Ahh, thanks, is there a specific gear lever that will fit straight on without any bending i prefer something that will fit tidy like..

is the splines on all levers the same throughout the yamaha range of bikes, as i would like a more solid one like...

Al...
handsomejackuk

Postby basser23 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:53 am

get one for an xt350 or 500..splines are 11mm I believe
basser23

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:13 am

the small lever on the trans. shaft should be at 90º to the shifting rod at rest. This is simple mechanics
The slop comes from many factors, starting with the crummy balls joint you name.. The shift drum in the transmission also has some play and the long extension of the shift shaft from the crankcase adds its part. For some seriously used racing engines (e.g. R6) there are ball bearing supports for that shaft for good reason.
The MZ shiftlever ist at best a piece of blacksmithing. Sturdy perhaps but in reality junk and not worth fiddling with. Unlike the brake lever (even more junky) which can easily be replaced with an OEM Yamaha item (forged aluminum with bronce bushing), there is no simple replacement.
Yamaha lever.jpg
TZR brake lever
Yamaha lever.jpg (19.51 KiB) Viewed 5439 times

Or rather, as Doug says, just mount a XT lever bent to fit and be rid of the whole nuisance.
XT lever.jpg
XT lever.jpg (21.61 KiB) Viewed 5439 times

BTW, those are OEM MZ Replica pegs.

I have been advocating this (i.e. 1st gear up) sind the 90ies and all my MZs and the Yamaha are so converted.
Both Bimota and Laverda racers also have 1st gear up pattern but with linkage
(the Laverda was 2st up right side anyway)

So does my Skorpion XP with the Gilles rearsets but there, it is only to be able to show the Gilles as a complete unit as they can be bought.
AS31GTMZ01.jpg

You can see, tho, that those are high-priced no-slop ball joints; the shift lever has 2(!) ball bearings and both it and the accompanying lever on the trans shaft as well as the toe piece on the lever have several holes to vary the actual lever travel and I have the alternative rolling toe pice mounted. Yes, I know, the Gilles are very expensive. It's like with most everything else: you get what you pay for.
Bill Jurgenson

Postby handsomejackuk » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:56 pm

Hmmm...

Thanks Bill, did look at my mated 660 Tenere today, you know, the new ones... looks like his lever will fit, but its too long...ok if i had size 17 feet... but i haven't....

any more ideas for a plug and play lever that requires no bending / farting about, possibly without the bendy back foot peg.. as this introduces more slop in the mech...?????

Al..
handsomejackuk

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:02 am

nope, there aren't any. The closest you can get is with an MZ ET150 lever but you sren't likely to find one over there. Not that easy even here.
As if the little bit of bending is particularly taxing...
A stock or aftermarket early XT lever without foldup toepiece fits very well.
One reservation: none of those levers fit if you are using The sport rearsets, even in the front hole.
this setup only works with Tour pegs. The Sport pegs are too far back, even in the front hole for serious riding, let alone anything like comfort. As a comparison, they do work with the SZR, the pegs of which are not adjustable.
Bill Jurgenson

Postby hb7 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:27 am

The best solution I have found for the slop in the Skorpion gear shift motoGP style is
the IMS 317313 below.....~$30
or the shorter IMS 317314 from the TZR125
Attachments
$_57 (1).JPG
hb7

Postby den » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:33 pm

suprised you dont remember the video i upped on youtube regards the mod i did for the gear lever,,mines still perfect a year later..http://youtu.be/6W16P7EfRr8
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Postby hb7 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:21 pm

I need to fix the slop for the Skorpion.....not a baggy. I'll watch it as soon as youtube come back .
hb7

Return to 660 cc