handlebar choke removal

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

handlebar choke removal

Postby handsomejackuk » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:25 pm

is there anyway of removing the manual choke from the handlebar, and replacing it with a flip type choke on the carb ?

wot sort of kit would i need to do this is it ppossible... i have no problem with the handlebar choke. but would like to get rid of as many cables as possible from the handlebar just makes things easier... the chokke is only needed for seconds anyway to start...

any ideas ???
I'm a schizophrenic so am I !!!!
handsomejackuk

Re: handlebar choke removal

Postby cat » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:38 am

where have you been bro? :-D ...it's like you woke up from a long sleep like Rip Van Winkel.

ya,...i took mine off when i got the bike. I put a cable tie through it - through the plunger thing.
What you need is the choke plunger thing from XT600E or whatever. It's the black knob type. I'll check whether i have the part number - at office....or you can find an online parts thing for Yamaha XT600.

PS: It is in my MZ Baghira 660 - Tech Data, Specs, Parts file.

plunger, starter: 2KF-14371-01-00
(to replace cable operation with plunger/knob operation)
cat

Postby handsomejackuk » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:26 am

cat wrote:where have you been bro? :-D ...it's like you woke up from a long sleep like Rip Van Winkel.

ya,...i took mine off when i got the bike. I put a cable tie through it - through the plunger thing.
What you need is the choke plunger thing from XT600E or whatever. It's the black knob type. I'll check whether i have the part number - at office....or you can find an online parts thing for Yamaha XT600.

PS: It is in my MZ Baghira 660 - Tech Data, Specs, Parts file.

plunger, starter: 2KF-14371-01-00
(to replace cable operation with plunger/knob operation)

yeah bro innit... i iz a bit out of touch wiv tha baghira scene innit...!!! be good to see pics of that i really think its an un necessary item to have on the handlebar... can you post a few pics of it if you got any,, and a part number...

Innit :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cheers Al..
handsomejackuk

Postby handsomejackuk » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:31 am

WOT.... £70.00 FOR A PIECE OF PLASTIC....

http://www.piaggiospares.co.uk/spares/p ... F143710100

is it gold plated with diamonds encrusted on it ???

think i keep my handlebar choke
handsomejackuk

Postby cat » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:05 pm

No...i saw it for $30-something. It would cost less to import it from USA. £70! - that's shocking, more than twice the price.

PS: google...
yamaha parts 2KF-14371-01-00
...$35, $32...even with shipping, it would be a lot less than 70 pounds.

Or you could just use a cable tie. It works but you can't push it in easily when it sticks. I left the curved metal tube, the cable guide thing, the loop of the cable tie sticks out of it. Or maybe you could get a piece of brass rod - or aluminium rod brazed on to the existing plunger,...although i suppose it wouldn't hold after you'd filed it down.
cat

Postby handsomejackuk » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:31 pm

Cheers Cat.. i got a bit more idea on wot i iz looking for now...i just slowly going around the bike, and sorting things out and tidying things up here and there..

i put some new grips on tonite as my old protaper ones were a bit worn...and alos put my cross brace on the handlebar... This was a bit of a mistake, as i cant see my cycled speedo nw, so will have to relcate that now ...

Grrr Grrr.....

also took off the fuel tank to and gave it all a good clean under there.. its been a while since i had it off... i also checked the operation of my Fan, and warning light to make sure its still working, as it never cuts in... gave the carbs a liberal squirt of wd40... ideally i would like to get them off for a service but i wondering if i best leave it well alone, as its all working ok... they have never been touched since they have been on the bike... done 21,000 miles now and all going well....

got a problem with my indicators though... one of the rear ones is playing up all the time, and my flasher relay is a bit toast...

lowered my mudguard a tad this morning.. but could do with a bit more...so going to rig up some new brackets, and make a rear mudguard piece too.. i have to get some pics to you its starting to look good now though....
handsomejackuk

Return to 660 cc