Saddle Fasteners

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Saddle Fasteners

Postby keithcross » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:38 am

Hi

Its me again.

Just had another little problem with the Baghira. One of the Deuz fixings that hold the saddle to the fuel tank has broken. The pin in the fuel tank. that the screw locates onto has broken on the right hand side. No big deal you would think, think again. This part is not available seperatly as it is molded into the tank itself and the only official repair is to replace the complete fuel tank (£207 plus tax and P&P in the UK, about $400US)
As a quick fix I have used a cut down wall plug and a short screw.
Please be aware of this, it may pay to make sure that there is plenty of gears in yours to stop this happening on your bike.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

BATTAN THE HATCHES

Postby jim grace » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:04 pm

Hi there KEITH, This is the second MZ i have owned, and i find fastening the seat down an absolute !!!!!!! ? On one occasion when i blew a fuse on the motorway i had to ride the bike 40 miles with the seat plopped on top of the frame. iI recolect the competative solutions website offering a large tank :shock: if it uses a better method of securing the seat :D I am interested, Cheers Keith,
jim grace

Postby nyarla » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:55 pm

Yep, I`m a motormechanic and the first time I removed the seat on my Mastif it took me an hour to get it back on.
I kept looking for something I had missed.
In the end I decided that whoever designed the seat fastening was just a moron.
Anyway, bigger tank?
Do you have the address?
nyarla

Postby keithcross » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:05 pm

The £207 plus VAT was for teh standard tank. However competitve solution sell abigger tank and also an additional tail tank.
Just search the web and you can look at the site. The company is in Germany but the site can be read in English and they also talk/write engish as well.
The company can also be found if you search n Tunebike.

Keith
keithcross

Postby DEmark » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:28 pm

I have one of the Tunebike/Competitive Solutions gastanks for sale. I have pictures of it posted in my personal gallery in the album section. Let your cursor float over the picture to see the description. I can ship to Europe, (is "fife" in europe...?) DEmark
DEmark

Postby keithcross » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:12 am

Hi DEmark

Fifie is in Scotland, part of the United Kingdom. Thought I would let you know these sottish people can be real touchy :P
BTW how much do you want for the tank and is this the one which requires the fitting of a different saddle?

Keith
keithcross

Postby DEmark » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:09 am

Thanks for the warning :-D Yes, it requires the seat be changed too. I'm going to move it to the "for sale" section where people can find it easier. I should have put it there in the first place.....
DEmark

Re: Saddle Fasteners

Postby cat » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:08 am

keithcross wrote:One of the Deuz fixings that hold the saddle to the fuel tank has broken. The pin in the fuel tank. that the screw locates onto has broken on the right hand side. No big deal you would think, think again. This part is not available seperatly as it is molded into the tank itself and the only official repair is to replace the complete fuel tank (£207 plus tax and P&P in the UK, about $400US)
As a quick fix I have used a cut down wall plug and a short screw.
Please be aware of this, it may pay to make sure that there is plenty of gears in yours to stop this happening on your bike.

Keith, I know this is an old thread but I came across it when I was searching for something else.

I was surprised to find that there's the Dzus fastener - in one place - and some other 'normal' fasteners at the other points - like why didn't they use the same ones everywhere? (Then again, I'm not that surprised, because later on I found that they used a mixture all over. Especially using self-tapping screws to hold the CDI unit on when all the other frame clip thingies have integrated nuts.)

So is it a non-standard Dzus fastener? (If that makes sense; I thought they were standard in some way - although I did see that these looked a bit different.)

What about getting normal/standard Dzus fasteners, or ...some other threaded brass fittings (why are they always brass) like they use on Japanese offroad bikes, and epoxying them into the tank?

The real 'problem' is why they..what they were thinking when they made those pieces of the seat extend all the way to the front like that - there was no need to make the bike look that odd.

Would you be worried about epoxying them into the tank? They would be ...are they molded in? - surely not; don't they fit them somehow after the tank is made? So it would be possible to dig them out and replace them with something else - if/when you found something else - without worrying about the tank leaking there...?
cat

Postby keithcross » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:16 pm

The tank Duez fasteners are molded into teh tank. They are made of steel as well, so rust eventually gets to them and the pin breaks. Only the right hand one has gone so far and I replaced it sucessfully with a plastic wall plug (as esed to hole thing on the wall with wod screws( and a self tapping screww. Its till working OK. I asked an MZ dealer what teh cure was and they told me a new tank :shock:
Looks like the self tapping scew and plastic plug will be in use for some years yet :)

Keith
keithcross

Postby kerry » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:21 pm

I used to have an awfull time putting those things back in. Then I enlarged to holes in the seat to make the shot a bit straighter. That helped a LOT!! I just used a large drill bit and walked it sideways a little. Now it goes on in 5 minutes instaed of the 15 min.s it used to take! My worry is that I will someday lose one of the pins...then I'll be screwed!
kerry

Postby cat » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:17 pm

what about grinding it out with a Dremel or something and epoxying something else in - like the kind they sell for sportbike fairings ? or tapping it for a M8 thread?
cat

Postby keithcross » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:39 pm

Cat

I thought about that, but didnt want to risk either perforating the tank or melting it. It is made of plastic after all.

Keith
keithcross

Postby phlat65 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:48 pm

I don't really have problems with the seat. just make sure you fasten the frons first, then the rear one. can do it in 15 seconds, no trouble.....
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

seat remove and replace

Postby ron monnig » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:49 am

If you replace rear atachment with a 3/8 or 8 m stud it makes removing and repacing much easier. Just tap and epoxie stud and use a long nut that is sloted so you can remove with coin or a wing nut. put gas tank atachments on first then rear . Takes about one minute
ron monnig

Return to 660 cc