Odd Rattling Noise-Where Is It FRrom?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Pinking

Postby oldboyonrgv » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:33 am

Before you change any carb settings - put some de-coking agent in the tank - or spray it into the carb intakes at tickover (you could also run some in the spark plug hole, leave it overnight) it could be carbon build up in the combustion chamber, this slowly raises the comporession ratio to a point that you get pre ignition.
oldboyonrgv

my rattle

Postby Gary K. » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:57 pm

this drove me nuts on my 02 Tour, until I realized it is the chain once the guard on the swingarm wears down and the stock chain has some wear. The stock chain is very substandard, and mine stated "the rattle" at only 7k or so. When chain is tightened, the noise stops for a few miles, but after it stretches it is never the same and adjustment becomes too frequent. I swore this was a front-end noise/problem, but it is the chain resonnating. Replace your chain with a quality one and a new nylon or rubber chain guide and the noise will be gone. You could have the same problem. good luck- gary k.
Gary K.

Postby Whysub » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:57 am

The bike is stuck at work for the next couple of weeks (work commitments mean I have to use a works car), so won’t be able to look at it for a couple of weeks.

As the noise is more pronounced when I listen to the left side of the engine, so the chain being the cause is possible.

As I am having the wheels powder coated in black, and I want to change the gearing, new chain and sprockets will also go on. Maybe two teeth on the front to make cruising at 95 mph a little less stressed.

It could be the original chain (at 35,000 kms) as both I, and the former owner keep it drenched in oil. I will fit a Scotoiler to this once I have done the wheels-the amount of “fling” on my Baggi’s rear rim is barely noticeable, despite the chain constantly being wet.
Moto Guzzi V1200 Sport
Honda CBR600 F-V
Suzuki SV650S -Y
Yamaha Vity
Suzuki Hokuto
Whysub

Postby whysub01 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:28 pm

Yep-cured with a £7 piece of MZ rubber.

The front of it (typically the part that is out of sight) was worn right through. Replaced and the engine fell silent.

Typical, after spending hours tracking down the source of the noise, a fellow sufferer had the answer.

Now a nice, silent, Sport!
Becoming A Track Day Addict. Baggi Well On The Way To Completion. Well, One DAy Closer................
whysub01

Previous

Return to 660 cc