Odd Rattling Noise-Where Is It FRrom?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Odd Rattling Noise-Where Is It FRrom?

Postby Whysub » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:01 am

My Skorpion Sport was making a noise like bottles clinking together. I put this down to the projector headlights being loose and rattling. I changed the headlight unit to a (much, much better) TRX unit but the rattle remained.

I then thought it was the horn touching the bottom of the radiator-until the bracket fractured on this, and the noise remains.

Seems to happen at all sorts of road speeds and all revs-I have checked and rechecked and everything is tight. It is driving me mad. Anyone else have (had?) this annoyance?
Moto Guzzi V1200 Sport
Honda CBR600 F-V
Suzuki SV650S -Y
Yamaha Vity
Suzuki Hokuto
Whysub

Postby phlat65 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:22 am

only when driving? or stationary too? I have had chains make very strange noises..
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby gedge » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:01 pm

Is it too much free play in the front disc rotor? keith had some trouble with his and I think it was the noise that gave it away... :-)
gedge

Postby boysie » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:57 pm

I had a rattle, but it turned out to be the piston wobling about on a knackered conrod :roll: Still, that's what happens when you buy a bike with a "bullit-proof motor"
boysie

Postby keithcross » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:03 pm

Dont want to be the bearer of bad news, but my rattle turned out to be a big end :cry:

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby friendfire » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:22 am

Strange that Mate, i see to have the same kind of rattle as you, it comes and goes. I also thought it may have been the headlight unit as this is where the noise appears to come from, my horn bracket snapped yesterday and the noise still remains.......i am very curious??
friendfire

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:36 am

hi
you guy's are lucky when my bikes make some kind of rattle
my wife says its my brain moving in my head
:-D
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Whysub » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:43 am

friendfire wrote:Strange that Mate, i see to have the same kind of rattle as you, it comes and goes. I also thought it may have been the headlight unit as this is where the noise appears to come from, my horn bracket snapped yesterday and the noise still remains.......i am very curious??

Sounds like something is loose at the front end. Very much doubt it is the motor, as it still pulls and runs as good as my 6,000 km Baggi.

Checked the brake-thats fine.

Looks like a trip to the dealer for advice is on the cards. Bugger!
Moto Guzzi V1200 Sport
Honda CBR600 F-V
Suzuki SV650S -Y
Yamaha Vity
Suzuki Hokuto
Whysub

Postby Whysub » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:55 am

Even more confused now. Riding into work today, I heard the “clinking” noise again, so I cut the motor, and the noise stopped. I did this a few times,with the same result.

The noise appears mostly in the midrange of revs and when under load. But not all the time. I tried acceralting from the same revs from the same speed-mostly quiet, sometimes clinking noise appears.

It sounds like the sound is louder when listening to the left side oof the motor, but this could just be the acoustics of the bike.

I have spoken to a mate that races in Supermono, and he has made a couple of suggestions, one of it being a loose rotor, the other a worn/loose clutch basket-both creditable causes of the problems, but until I find the time to look at it, they will remain theories. I will also try to have a word with Steve Ruth at Brands Hatch this weekend (the Supermono’s have a couple of races there)-he knows these XTZ motors inside out.

It made this noise when I bought this, and 5,000 kms later, it is no worse, but now I am worried something is amiss that will blow the motor to kingdom come. Wish I had stayed in blissful ignorance now!
Moto Guzzi V1200 Sport
Honda CBR600 F-V
Suzuki SV650S -Y
Yamaha Vity
Suzuki Hokuto
Whysub

Postby Whysub » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:55 am

Even more confused now. Riding into work today, I heard the “clinking” noise again, so I cut the motor, and the noise stopped. I did this a few times,with the same result.

The noise appears mostly in the midrange of revs and when under load. But not all the time. I tried acceralting from the same revs from the same speed-mostly quiet, sometimes clinking noise appears.

It sounds like the sound is louder when listening to the left side oof the motor, but this could just be the acoustics of the bike.

I have spoken to a mate that races in Supermono, and he has made a couple of suggestions, one of it being a loose rotor, the other a worn/loose clutch basket-both creditable causes of the problems, but until I find the time to look at it, they will remain theories. I will also try to have a word with Steve Ruth at Brands Hatch this weekend (the Supermono’s have a couple of races there)-he knows these XTZ motors inside out.

It made this noise when I bought this, and 5,000 kms later, it is no worse, but now I am worried something is amiss that will blow the motor to kingdom come. Wish I had stayed in blissful ignorance now!
Moto Guzzi V1200 Sport
Honda CBR600 F-V
Suzuki SV650S -Y
Yamaha Vity
Suzuki Hokuto
Whysub

Postby jbthumper » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:02 am

just a hunch....try checking the timing chain...
hope this helps...
jbthumper

Postby keithcross » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:30 pm

Whysub wrote:Even more confused now. Riding into work today, I heard the “clinking” noise again, so I cut the motor, and the noise stopped. I did this a few times,with the same result.

I have spoken to Steve myself and he will probablly know exactly what it is, he is very knowedgable on these engines. He both races them himself and builds racemotors for others.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby Whysub » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:05 am

Think I have solved the cause of the noise.

After extensive riding from work last night and into work this morning (the long way round, all on B roads-300 miles in total), differing the loads and noting when it made the noise, I have come to the stunning conclusion that the engine is pinking :roll: :roll:

Now all I have to do is work out how to richen the mixture and/or balance the carbs properly.

And I am hoping that I can get Steve Ruth to rebuild my motor (big bore, better conrod, balance crank, etc.) in between his racing commitments, as his reputation is excellent with the XTZ engines. And I have known him for many years-although that may not help!!!
Moto Guzzi V1200 Sport
Honda CBR600 F-V
Suzuki SV650S -Y
Yamaha Vity
Suzuki Hokuto
Whysub

Postby dthemic » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:01 pm

Is "pinking" a British term? Here in the good old USofA I think that condition is refered to as "pinging" or sometimes predetonation ;-) .
Dave
'01 Skorpion Tour
Pittsburgh, Pa
dthemic

Postby Whysub » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:52 am

dthemic wrote:Is "pinking" a British term? Here in the good old USofA I think that condition is refered to as "pinging" or sometimes predetonation ;-) .

One and the same.
Moto Guzzi V1200 Sport
Honda CBR600 F-V
Suzuki SV650S -Y
Yamaha Vity
Suzuki Hokuto
Whysub

Next

Return to 660 cc