660 Check it before it goes BANG!!!

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: 660 Check it before it goes BANG!!!

Postby Chalks » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:36 pm

Found some interesting vintage reading incase you're thinking of holding off on the job :(

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5728&p=29449&hilit=balance+gear#p29449
Chalks

Postby Rhino-1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Chalks wrote:Found some interesting vintage reading incase you're thinking of holding off on the job :(

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5728&p=29449&hilit=balance+gear#p29449

Good stuff, Chalks. I'm ordering a Rappy 700 gear and getting to it sometime in the Spring. Getting the other stuff done on the bike (AGM battery, KTM IMS pegs, Rear Shock, Fatbars w/risers, etc.), and will focus on engine/carbs very soon thereafter.

Thanks!
Rhino-1

Postby samandkimberly » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:25 am

Those Raptor 700 gears are pretty common on EBay for cheap, sometimes with the matching crankshaft gear; its best to replace gears in pairs, but not absolutely required. I got one, and then at the last minute decided to *not* replace it when I rebuilt my motor last fall: the old gear was in perfect condition with no signs of wear, so I decided to leave well enough alone.

Sam
samandkimberly

Postby Rhino-1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:26 pm

samandkimberly wrote:Those Raptor 700 gears are pretty common on EBay for cheap, sometimes with the matching crankshaft gear; its best to replace gears in pairs, but not absolutely required. I got one, and then at the last minute decided to *not* replace it when I rebuilt my motor last fall: the old gear was in perfect condition with no signs of wear, so I decided to leave well enough alone.

Sam

It might be a good idea for me to wait, then. I've been finding great deals on boats.net (I think that's the address), but even there, the gear is around $55.

My Baggy has 44k Kilometers, so I definitely want to pull the side covers and have a peek...

Thanks!
Rhino-1

Postby Windmill » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Yes I'm tending that way too. Mine has 46K (kms)also, so around the same mileage, but is a very quiet engine so far as mechanical noise goes. I can't believe it's loose but it's not worth the risk. The thought of it letting go on the M1 doesn't instill much confidence :( I'll pull it down once the weather improves and see.

Was yours loose when you got there Sam and any idea of mileage when you looked at it?

Thanks to Chalks for bringing this one up again. Dave, any chance of making one of these threads a sticky? It's crucial all owners of these know of the problem, if it's always at the top of the 660 section new owners may just read it :wink: :D
Windmill

Postby Rhino-1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Windmill wrote:Yes I'm tending that way too. Mine has 46K (kms)also, so around the same mileage, but is a very quiet engine so far as mechanical noise goes. I can't believe it's loose but it's not worth the risk. The thought of it letting go on the M1 doesn't instill much confidence :( I'll pull it down once the weather improves and see.

Was yours loose when you got there Sam and any idea of mileage when you looked at it?

Thanks to Chalks for bringing this one up again. Dave, any chance of making one of these threads a sticky? It's crucial all owners of these know of the problem, if it's always at the top of the 660 section new owners may just read it :wink: :D

Ditto. This one and the valve adjustment one... :-D
Rhino-1

Postby den » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:25 pm

samandkimberly wrote:Those Raptor 700 gears are pretty common on EBay for cheap, sometimes with the matching crankshaft gear; its best to replace gears in pairs, but not absolutely required. I got one, and then at the last minute decided to *not* replace it when I rebuilt my motor last fall: the old gear was in perfect condition with no signs of wear, so I decided to leave well enough alone.

Sam

oh yes , i just bought a set (three gears=nut&washer) from ebay for £30 all in , 700 raptor,,wether or not it needs it , im gonna replace it , forarmed is forwarned and i hate sods law cos it allways seems to applie to me , but thats the only jobs im doing this spring , sigma carb kit and this drive gear,, should i do a youtube video??
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Postby Rhino-1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:29 pm

den wrote:

Sam

oh yes , i just bought a set (three gears=nut&washer) from ebay for £30 all in , 700 raptor,,wether or not it needs it , im gonna replace it , forarmed is forwarned and i hate sods law cos it allways seems to applie to me , but thats the only jobs im doing this spring , sigma carb kit and this drive gear,, should i do a youtube video??

Yessirree!! A YouTube video always comes in handy when I get stuck... :smt004
Rhino-1

Postby djsbriscoe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:48 am

DAVID THOMPSON wrote:i plan on doing a detailed picture book of the 660 gear change
dave

That would be VERY much appreciated.
Thanks.

David.
Bikes:2006 RT125 (sold Jan 2013),2001 Skorpion Traveller (sadly sold) Current bike Honda NC750X DCT (2014)
Past owner of original ETZ125,ETZ251,Kanuni ETZ251 models
Electronics tech by trade.
djsbriscoe

Postby Skorpion » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:11 pm

The 700 Raptor gear here, new part.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/y ... 00-00.html

Very low price, nearly £100 here in the rip off UK, could be worth ordering from the US?. :D
Skorpion

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:47 pm

I've been buying a lot of parts from them in the last couple of days. I wished I had found them before I ordered my Raptor gear. :(
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby samandkimberly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Windmill wrote:Was yours loose when you got there Sam and any idea of mileage when you looked at it?

Sorry - I missed this until now. My motor was a weird, unknown one - on the one hand everything internal and external looked clean and near new, and it supposedly had 2,500 miles on it. On the other hand the piston was oversize, and the motor had clearly been apart. My guess is that it had a catastrophic failure under warrantee and it was repaired, rather than replaced. But I really don't know.

To answer your question, though, it was like new and tight. But having reassembled everything it has that clack-clack at idle that all these motors seem to have, and I'm thinking its that gear. Over the summer if like to make an audio of it, then change the gear out and do another audio to compare - ill bet it will be a lot quieter.

Sam
samandkimberly

Postby den » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:04 pm

So i finally got round to doing mine, upon inspection it did not need doing but as i had amassed all the parts and tools i thought why not. :smt005
very straight forward job, the only things that puzzled me were , "why drain the coolant" and "why drain the oil" , the coolant pump came of as a unit and didn't need draining and with the bike tilted on the sidestand i only lost 1ltr oil from the side casing....Alas i changed the oil in the end as i bought fresh stuff and new filter.. I nearly broke the balance drive shaft , whooot,, I read here that any nut with a slit in the edges is a reverse thread,, not the case for the nut on mine ,,(balance shaft gear nut),i used my electric windy gun to free it off and ended up tightening the thing up so hard it almost rounded off the nut ,,shit my pants,, :oops: so i took some photos and made a slide show for you all,,

http://youtu.be/T8M-m0i3uWI

rode the bike to the mot station and alls well , have noticed the engine seems quieter and theres very little vibration in the handlebars,,wonder if the handlebar vibration problem is an indication the springs in the sprung drive gear for the balance and weakening and becoming sloppy thus throwing the balance out a tad,,
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Postby Windmill » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:16 pm

" have noticed the engine seems quieter and theres very little vibration in the handlebars,,wonder if the handlebar vibration problem is an indication the springs in the sprung drive gear for the balance and weakening and becoming sloppy thus throwing the balance out a tad,,"

Hmm, could that be a clue as to the cause of the self destructing Skorpion rev counters??? :roll: just a thought..........
Windmill

Postby buckwheat5679 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:49 am

den wrote:So i finally got round to doing mine, upon inspection it did not need doing but as i had amassed all the parts and tools i thought why not. :smt005
very straight forward job, the only things that puzzled me were , "why drain the coolant" and "why drain the oil" , the coolant pump came of as a unit and didn't need draining and with the bike tilted on the sidestand i only lost 1ltr oil from the side casing....Alas i changed the oil in the end as i bought fresh stuff and new filter.. I nearly broke the balance drive shaft , whooot,, I read here that any nut with a slit in the edges is a reverse thread,, not the case for the nut on mine ,,(balance shaft gear nut),i used my electric windy gun to free it off and ended up tightening the thing up so hard it almost rounded off the nut ,,shit my pants,, :oops: so i took some photos and made a slide show for you all,,

http://youtu.be/T8M-m0i3uWI

rode the bike to the mot station and alls well , have noticed the engine seems quieter and theres very little vibration in the handlebars,,wonder if the handlebar vibration problem is an indication the springs in the sprung drive gear for the balance and weakening and becoming sloppy thus throwing the balance out a tad,,

Great Job on the video and suppling the part numbers :smt023
2002 Traveller
2007 GasGas ec 300
1963 Honda 55
buckwheat5679

PreviousNext

Return to 660 cc