Project Cafe Rocket 686 begins. Finally!

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Project Cafe Rocket 686 begins. Finally!

Postby twinlinemoto » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:10 pm

Now that you have it sorted, can anyone advise if the Ducati wheels will fit the skorpion? I understand you have SZR stuff and thats different, but will the Ducati stuff swap in as easily?
twinlinemoto

Postby dandywarhol » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:30 pm

edfmaniac wrote:
dandywarhol wrote:
edfmaniac wrote:Found someone on another forum that will help. :)

Good one

I'm curious to know what part of my reply "Yes" you didn't understand earlier today when you asked for help to get it?? :?

Glad you're sorted out

Alan

I don't know how I missed it. Sorry and thank you for the find. It is very much appreciated.

You're welcome .
Whale oil beef hooked
dandywarhol

Postby Hajok » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:38 pm

twinlinemoto wrote:Now that you have it sorted, can anyone advise if the Ducati wheels will fit the skorpion? I understand you have SZR stuff and thats different, but will the Ducati stuff swap in as easily?

The SZR swap is the easiest... With some complications if Murphy is fooling around :wink:

The Ducati options are worse. The front wheel is, depending on bearing size, a no brainer, but the chain side of the rear wheel needs a lot of work. The different chain line offset is the problem. Not an easy one... I've considered and dismissed it for now.

Look around in the archives; a lot of info can be found. A certain BillJ posted interesting stuff about this matter...
Read my rambling at MuZ ManX
Hajok

Postby samandkimberly » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:05 pm

I've done the Ducati wheel conversion. It takes a lot to work on the cush drive to make work, but it can. Really, making a new cush drive would be almost as easy.

I doubt I'll use the ducati wheels now, though. With the KTM 380 production racers bikes sporting the size rims as stock there are now some good options for tires. I just got a set on the race dunlops for that class and they look awesome!

Sam
samandkimberly

Postby mincehead » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:35 am

edfmaniac, you still around this site?
mincehead

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:19 pm

Yep. I usually check in at least once a day, but I miss new posts from time to time because my computer no longer logs me in automatically and the new posts aren't highlighted unless I log in.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby mincehead » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:34 am

Café racer all sorted now?
mincehead

Postby edfmaniac » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:09 am

Still working on it. Found some Brembo SZR wheels a few months ago and had them powder coated. Someone here found the caliper carrier that was needed so I will be wrapping up the wheel swap in the next few weeks. Shouldn't be anymore hard to find parts now, just need to have a shock built and finish up the fiberglass before it's ready for paint and powder. Maybe a trip to the dyno for final tuning before that.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby mincehead » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:40 am

Excellent, keep us updated won`t you? :D
mincehead

Postby edfmaniac » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:00 pm

Finally received the caliper bracket. It went from the UK to Chicago, then back to the UK before it finally made it to Austin. :roll: Custom shock build starts next week after my suspension guy gets done with all of his MotoGP duties out at COTA this weekend. :D
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby edfmaniac » Wed May 18, 2016 8:06 pm

Looks like JRi is going to be the solution to a bolt on shock for the Skorpion. I don't know exactly which model it is, but my suspension guy was able to pull a factory prepared shock out, hand me a couple of modular factory milled yokes for the bottom mount and some factory machined bushings for the top mount to test fit, and it's a near exact match to the factory shock. They don't offer bushings that are the correct diameter for the stock bolts but my tech seems to be confident that a call to the factory will result in bushings that will be an exact fit, without the need for shims. :D The only difference is a shock length that is about 2mm longer, but stock bikes are set up very conservatively anyway. I'll know for sure that everything works without need for major labor expenses and exactly which model/parts to ask for in a few more weeks when we are done. My spring rate might even be close for a factory bike since my fat ass makes up for all of the weight that I removed on this project bike. :lol:
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby edfmaniac » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:14 am

Shock is finished and is a perfect fit with the new bushings. No shims necesarry. Unfortunately, this modular shock core wasn't made for any particular bike model, and they don't make the same one anymore. Posting part numbers won't really help. But if anyone is interested in JRi shocks for their Skorpion, my tech said it would be possible to do something similar with another shock from them. It may require a little more in labor costs but can definitely be done.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Previous

Return to 660 cc