Project Cafe Rocket 686 begins. Finally!

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Project Cafe Rocket 686 begins. Finally!

Postby basser23 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:29 am

Just a comment on your hp figures....what exhaust system are you running? So you've got higher compression,cam and overbore?
Need to get some decent headers if ya dont already have...OTR in germany has some for the new xt that should work,or duals from Barker or Jemco...
That would definately put you over 60hp without carb change....there is also a company in UK doing the headers..name escapes me now...Precision something
basser23

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:32 am

All of the info for the build is in this thread. I don't want to keep repeating myself as I do that enough as it is already. :wink: Please hook me up with some contact info for people getting over 60hp on these stock carbs. I seem to remember reading in several places that they can't move enough air to make much more than that, and I'm assuming that was in ideal conditions. I'm in central Texas and yesterday it was roughly 85 degrees with 80% humidity. Thanks.

Edit: I couldn't remember if the headers were listed in this thread or another one but the search function worked for me. I entered "headers" into the search window on this thread and they are mentioned here. ProJection Components!
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Srinath » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:12 pm

edfmaniac wrote:Thanks. Really hoping to treat myself to some Marchesini's for the KTM690 when I'm ready for the paint and powder coat. They are expensive but I want them unless some nice super moto spokes seem to find their way on the bike first and I'm happy with them.

Spoke wheels on a cafe racer would look alright, but I think the perimeter frame needs mags ... however, I cant say the katana wheels are worth getting someone off their "dream". They are cheap wheels, I'll slap e on my build if I ever did one, but no reason anyone who dot have some of them lying round would need to get them.
Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

Postby basser23 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:23 am

The 60 hp I was referring to was a bike in the Netherlands that had 101mm over JE piston,11.1 compression, Hot Cams stage1,Remus Skorpion Cup headers, K&N pod filters.
Cant seem to find the site anymore...Keep in mind that this was in the Netherlands where the air is usually cooler and more humid than central texas I would think...
Maybe dyno it in January/Feb....:)
basser23

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:59 am

That's a comparable build to mine. I'm sure that I can pick up a few percent of output in ideal conditions so it's close enough for now.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby edfmaniac » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:27 pm

I must beat my chest a little after just watching a video my friend shot of one of our recent rides. In one of the uphill sections of fairly straight road, we both got on it hard. His tach is red lining and you can hear him hitting the limiter on his KTM 690 with all the airbox mods, re-mapping and a full exhaust while I'm also running as hard as I can on a tune that was still a bit rich. It turned out to be a pretty even match up but I outweigh him by about 140lbs. :D Now if I could just look at losing weight as a means to gain performance on the bike, I could be leaving them like they were on Vespas. LOL
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby basser23 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:55 am

When my brother was racing in Super Twins CCS and F40 on his Ducati 900 ,he gained 5-7 hp by losing 20lbs Haha.... :lol:
basser23

Postby Linegeist » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:00 pm

edfmaniac wrote: It turned out to be a pretty even match up but I outweigh him by about 140lbs. :D Now if I could just look at losing weight as a means to gain performance on the bike, I could be leaving them like they were on Vespas. LOL

basser23 wrote:When my brother was racing in Super Twins CCS and F40 on his Ducati 900 ,he gained 5-7 hp by losing 20lbs Haha.... :lol:

So, if Victor can lose just 140lbs, then he'd have a power boost equivalent to +40hp! :shock: That's got to be excellent value for money - you save on food 'cos you eat less, fuel 'cos you're carrying less AND you get a faster bike. That's a real win/win situation! :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Linegeist

Postby edfmaniac » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:16 pm

I've done the math too. :lol: Just can't convince myself to eat what I need instead of what I want. It would be the equivalent of asking a vegetarian to move to a strictly insect diet, or a hard working saddle bronc rider to raw food vegan.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:58 am

Just figured out how to edit and post videos so here it is. Don't razz me too hard about the complete lack of safety gear, I know how dumb it is but I feel like a tightly stuffed sausage in full gear. I only wear it if the weather requires it or I know that I'm going to be pushing the bike hard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFXSi8iH ... e=youtu.be
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Ferd » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:36 pm

beautiful sky in that vid!
BUT
I see enuf KTM fender from my own helmet. Show the MZ ;)
Ferd

Postby mincehead » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:56 pm

basser23 wrote:Just a comment on your hp figures....what exhaust system are you running? So you've got higher compression,cam and overbore?
Need to get some decent headers if ya dont already have...OTR in germany has some for the new xt that should work,or duals from Barker or Jemco...
That would definately put you over 60hp without carb change....there is also a company in UK doing the headers..name escapes me now...Precision something

http://www.projection-components.co.uk/about-us-1-w.asp

http://www.projection-components.co.uk/ ... s-26-c.asp

Owned and run by my very good friend Kayla, tell her Geoff recommended her compnay :wink:
mincehead

Postby hb7 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:20 am

Could you post any details about what you did to the forks ?
Did you keep the stock fork springs ? Do you know value they are ?

thanks henri
hb7

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:53 am

I just took them to a local suspension technician and gave him my weight, as well as the bike's projected weight. He chose the spring rate, fluid viscosity and initial settings on the Race Tech emulators. The compression seems a little stiff right now but I will talk to him about that when I go back to have him look at the shock and check sag.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:56 am

Time for some Mikuni's. My stock carbs run great up to the point where they start making about 60hp, or around the stock cut off. Then, it's a crap shoot from there to 9000. I'm just going to remove the doubt in my mind and buy some new flatslides. If memory serves me correctly, Bill J recommended the TM34-B65's, which are twin 34mm carbs. But TOPHAM makes a 34/38, with the 38 being on the right side, feeding the 2 valve intake port. Seems like this would be a better option for the Skorpion's asymmetrical intake set up.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

PreviousNext

Return to 660 cc