Jumps out of gear

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Jumps out of gear

Postby Jurrien » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:15 am

Hi,

My Skorpion Sport is jumping out of 5th gear. it happens at higher speeds (+120 km/h) and it goes directly in 4th, causing the engine to go into the rev. limiter for a second (untill I've pulled the clutch). At begin it did only at +140 km/h but lately it is happening more and at lower speeds. So it is getting worse.

I already have a ∅8mm shift lever linkage instead of the original ∅5mm. At first I thought the original was the problem due it's flexibility, but it isn't.

Is there anything I should check first before pulling the gearbox apart?
Jurrien

Re: Jumps out of gear

Postby den » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:19 pm

check the magnet(if you have one )on your sump plug,,if you see any metal bits then i would suggest the selector has worn ,,this is not a rule of thumb but an indication..if your unsure drain your oil with an old magnet in the bowl, swerle it round and then look see ,
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Postby Jurrien » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Ok thanks! I'll take a look at the oil.

Just curious, which part is the selector? Maybe number 11 in the next picture? Or 15?

Jurrien

Postby Chalks » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm sure number 6 is 5th gear selector. It's got to be worth checking for signs of wear on the end of the selector drum before you split the crank cases. Good luck!
I discoverd this 2nd gear problem on my spare motor: Please note (Radiograf) I to have discovered the rule of turds ((without photo edit)) :smt005
P.S. PLEASE DO NOT ABUSE YOUR MOTORCYCLE BY TRYING TO WHEELIE THROUGH THE BOX WITHOUT USING YOUR CLUTCH, it's not big and it's not clever! :( :( :( OUCH!
Attachments
2013-02-19 22.02.04.jpg
Chalks

Postby doppelganger » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:25 am

I recently bought a '96 Skorpion Sport. It makes very unpleasant noises and vibrations in 3rd gear but still it keeps going. Anyone else have this problem? A mechanic friend rode it and said he thought it was due to the hardening wearing off the gears. Would be grateful for any help.
doppelganger

Return to 660 cc