TDM ignition box?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: TDM ignition box?

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:42 pm

Namikuz wrote: If I do, I'll bend up a set of larger stainless pipes and up the compression to possibly an 10.75:1 piston and give Mega Cycles a call for a cam, do a nice port match for the intake and exhaust, 5 angle valve job and some mild pocket work if I see a need

That's pretty much the same build I'm doing as far as the engine. I'd like to hit that 60hp mark but any more than that is supposed to be hard on the crank, clutch basket etc...I'm also replacing the balancer gear, fixing the stock auto decomp and lightening the flywheel while it's off for the cam chain. The headers from ProJection Components are really nice and fit well. The guy at Kenz Cycle Tech said that the exhaust pockets just need to be cleaned up but the intake side needs a little material removed for optimal performance on a mildly tuned engine. Mine should be at his doorstep in the next 24hrs for a major overhaul. :D I'm thinking Megacyle X2 or X3 at the moment but the Raptor guys love their Hotcams Stage2 and I have yet to hear a proper debate about the differences.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Namikuz » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:30 pm

edfmaniac wrote: I'm thinking Megacyle X2 or X3 at the moment but the Raptor guys love their Hotcams Stage2 and I have yet to hear a proper debate about the differences.

Alot the Raptor guys are CHEAP S.O.B.s when it comes to the horse power game. The Hot Cams are good and cheap for what they do and make a good amount of torque across the rev range. An Alphabet cam if you will. Ya know, part A to go along with part B in the proven recipe. The Mega cams are more to the premium end of the scale and taylor made if you would like, and not cheap, but you will know this already. For a mild street bike the Hot cams work very well, modest lift, to keep piston mods to a minimum and modest duration, good LSA for idle, ect....
You get what you pay for.
Thats going to be a blast when you are done. If I go the build route, I'm not going to lighten my fly wheel, so as to keep the low speed inertia high enough for city putting and the near parking lot speeds on the freeway for the comute home. Lane splitting is FORBIDDEN in Utah. Eh, I seldom split lanes when in California anyway.
Sounds like you're going to be scaring some SV650s.......hehe.
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:09 pm

The engine will be done a week or two after the head comes back but the bike won't go back together until after the frame and swing arm are powder coated in late spring. Hopefully by then I'll have enough to buy the wheels. It's getting either Talon hubs with Excel rims or Marchesini's depending on how serious I am about turning it into a true work of art.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Namikuz » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:54 pm

I just found a pic of me on the Tail of the Dragon from 06/24/2012. The day after I picked up the Traveller!!!! :mrgreen:
Attachments
MZ on the Dragon06252012b.gif
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby dandywarhol » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:43 pm

I'm new to the forum and doing a bit of trawling. I've got a Yamaha SZR660 but this place seems to have a lot more info than any SZR sites :D

To answer your original question Namikuz - the TDM850 3VD has a 360 degree crank and a wasted spark - that's why you can use the CDI unit. The post'96 TDM Mk2 Euro/Japan, TRX and the 900 have a 90 degree "crossplane" crank with 90/270 deg. firing intervals and use 2 ignition coils

Cheers, Alan
Whale oil beef hooked
dandywarhol

Postby Namikuz » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:59 pm

dandywarhol , Sorry for the EXTREEEEEMLY late reply. I don't come here often any more, got tired of trying to start a conversation only to be rebuked on my decisions on my bike.
I dug in to the CDI question and solved the mystery, but thanks, yup that's correct.
I still have my Traveller, though since I picked up an '06 SV1000, I don't ride the MuZer much.
The SV1000 is 415 lbs dry, ( MuZ at 381 dry) and at 126 hp/77 torque....... well, much more fun all around. I'm 210LBS, So not small and starting near the 5k ft elevation and going up to 11k, the Skorp is weezing pretty bad.
I'm planning on a mild port and bump in cam and compression, if I indeed keep it, but the SV is that good........
My wife and I are traveling from Salt Lake City Utah to Indianapolis Indiana for the 100th running of the Indy 500. About 3k miles(4828 km) round trip.
1 up, the Skorp would be great, as I bought it and proceeded to ride it about 2200 miles in about 4 days from Ralegh North Carolina back to Salt Lake City Utah. It was great(no luggage)
for the both of us and luggage, at altitude.... it was dangerous on the 70 to 80 mph freeways.......She being 5'9 and 150lbs.
Hey.... thanks for the reply!!!!!
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Previous

Return to 660 cc