Experiance with tires

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Experiance with tires

Postby billr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:40 am

Namikuz wrote: Liking the Ravens prety well so far. Chicken strips are getting smaller too! :wink:

Just put some "hot sauce" on 'em and eat 'em up... :D
BillR
billr

Postby basser23 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:18 am

Fried or grilled? Blue Cheese on the stems pls... :-D
basser23

Postby Namikuz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:09 pm

basser23 wrote:Fried or grilled? Blue Cheese on the stems pls... :-D

GRILLED.... ofcourse and SWEET BABY RAYS!!!!!!!! (Sweet Baby Ray makes BBq and Wing sauce) :smt006
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby angustoyou » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:52 am

Namikuz wrote:
Skorpion wrote:Those tyre sizes 120/70/17 front and 160/60/17 rear, are not recommended for a Skorpion as the wheel rim's are too narrow,
The front in particular will have pulled in the sidewall and made the tyre too pointy giving you a fast turn in and maybe nervousness at speed.
110/70/17 front is right. :D

The fitment is called "+1" sizing(an industry standard term) and I have personally found, over the lhe last 35-ish years riding, building, pit crew and racing motorcycles, that "+1" works very well.

In the UK we don't have an "industry standard term" for fitting wrong size tyres. I think that's a good thing. :D

No name tyre brands may be different, so might America, but inside Europe in general the tyre advice from the big tyre manufacturers these days is based on plenty of research and development. What they recommend tends to work. Reputations, swiftly followed by sales, are soon ruined if they don't.

Tyre manufacturers recommend a rim size that is appropriate for that particular tyre size, so that the tyre has the designed profile when in use. As Skorpion pointed out, you wont notice much width difference when fitted, as the rim is too narrow, and is pulling the tyre width in. You should notice an increase in the rolling radius because of this, which is why you will have seen a difference in your speedo reading, and is what gives that eagerness to tip in.

Of course without testing a correct size set back to back with your choice in sizes, there's no way of knowing which would be better.
Baghira 660 for the road, CCM 404 for green laning. Singles rock!
angustoyou

Postby Namikuz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:29 am

angustoyou wrote:
Namikuz wrote:
Skorpion wrote:Those tyre sizes 120/70/17 front and 160/60/17 rear, are not recommended for a Skorpion as the wheel rim's are too narrow,
The front in particular will have pulled in the sidewall and made the tyre too pointy giving you a fast turn in and maybe nervousness at speed.
110/70/17 front is right. :D

The fitment is called "+1" sizing(an industry standard term) and I have personally found, over the lhe last 35-ish years riding, building, pit crew and racing motorcycles, that "+1" works very well.

In the UK we don't have an "industry standard term" for fitting wrong size tyres. I think that's a good thing. :D

No name tyre brands may be different, so might America, but inside Europe in general the tyre advice from the big tyre manufacturers these days is based on plenty of research and development. What they recommend tends to work. Reputations, swiftly followed by sales, are soon ruined if they don't.

Tyre manufacturers recommend a rim size that is appropriate for that particular tyre size, so that the tyre has the designed profile when in use. As Skorpion pointed out, you wont notice much width difference when fitted, as the rim is too narrow, and is pulling the tyre width in. You should notice an increase in the rolling radius because of this, which is why you will have seen a difference in your speedo reading, and is what gives that eagerness to tip in.

Of course without testing a correct size set back to back with your choice in sizes, there's no way of knowing which would be better.

WOW..... so you have nothing to ADD to the topic.... YOUR tires and what YOUR experiances have been? Way to keep on topic..... :shock:
I am SSOOOOoooooooo aware of recomendations of tire manurfactures. Haveing been involved in tire development with Dunlop, B.F. Goorich, Michelin, Otsu and Kumho tires, I have a feel for what they offer and how the "+" sizing works(EVEN if they are SO wrongly sized :roll: ). So..... I need not your idea of education, just YOUR input on topic, thank you. BTW.... the increase in diameter, "rolling radius" is from the aspect ratio of 110/70 vs 120/70. Ya know, 70 percent tall in sidewall to the aspect ratio of width, not rim width so much, especially for 10mm.......So, back on topic... what do you ride on and how do you like or dis-like what you have or have had? :smt006
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby Butters » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Pirelli Super Corsas on mine. As Bill J advised, I don't run them anywhere near MZ's recommended pressures. 27/8 psi works fine. Down side is that they are wearing fast but boy do they GRIP.
Butters

Postby angustoyou » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:49 pm

WOW..... so you have nothing to ADD to the topic.... YOUR tires and what YOUR experiances have been?

'Fraid not, you're not after feedback on Baghira 18" and 21" tyre performance. Skorpions points on tyre sizes were correct, i was just trying to expand on them, in your thread on tyres.

Sorry if I offended you.
Baghira 660 for the road, CCM 404 for green laning. Singles rock!
angustoyou

Postby Namikuz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Butters wrote:Pirelli Super Corsas on mine. As Bill J advised, I don't run them anywhere near MZ's recommended pressures. 27/8 psi works fine. Down side is that they are wearing fast but boy do they GRIP.

I ran Super Corsas breifly on a Suzi1000......~ 2k miles and thay were DONE!!! Tenatious grip, EXELLENT feed back and at the point of NO RETURN(yup, high sided) can be a little over confidenice inspiring and made "Super man" in to "Flipping Man"!!!!!!! Was having a great run till the acrobatics.
I imagine the Corsa's will last a bit longer on a light bike with a bit less power though......
So, where do you go for fun? Track(if there is one), mountians? Urban sprawl?
Isle of Man should be amazing to run around on..... Would LOVE to run the TT.
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby Butters » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:38 am

I read somewhere that big singles give rear tyres, chains & sprockets a hard life due to big, wide power impulses. I think the rear won't last more than 3 to 4k the way things are going. Frankly, I'm not bothered. Give me grip over mileage everytime !
Yep, the TT course is right outside my door. Summer evenings give you your own personal race track( just a joke, Your Honour). No speed limits on the mountain section. Yee Ha! Most of it under 3ft of snow right now.
Butters

Postby Skorpion660 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:06 pm

Butters wrote:Yep, the TT course is right outside my door. Yee Ha! Most of it under 3ft of snow right now.

Copied from a Facebook post.

Cronk-Y-Voddy Straight.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/486123_431684356918564_918047389_n.jpg
Skorpion660

Postby Butters » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Make that 8ft.
Butters

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:36 pm

i think if i lived there a snow mobile would be on the shopping list
for next winter ... or a snow blower with a very big motor
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Namikuz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Butters wrote:. Summer evenings give you your own personal race track( just a joke, Your Honour). No speed limits on the mountain section. Yee Ha! Most of it under 3ft of snow right now.

Well here in Utah, in the mountains, YESTERDAY I was sited for speeding......45 in a 40........YUP!!!!! 5mph.
The offecer explained that this year there is "NO TOLLARENCE" on these roads and are trying to discourage "THAT TYPE" of behavior.........
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby edfmaniac » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Contest it. Chances are the jacka$$ won't show his face in front of a judge for 5 over and it will get dropped. He's just trying to get his "non-existent" quota so the boss will be happy.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Namikuz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:15 pm

angustoyou wrote:

WOW..... so you have nothing to ADD to the topic.... YOUR tires and what YOUR experiances have been?

'Fraid not, you're not after feedback on Baghira 18" and 21" tyre performance. Skorpions points on tyre sizes were correct, i was just trying to expand on them, in your thread on tyres.

Sorry if I offended you.

Hey, Sorry I came off abit kurt. Seems that every time I post, someone is "Trying to educate me". I thought I was really clear on the tires being to big and that I prefer a "+1" on my bikes with this tire and profile. The Ravens are more curved than rounded and in this situation will give a bigger side load foot print as compared to the original size. Another benefIt is a more relaxed, road irregulatiy compliant ride. It works for me and I have researched many tires to come up with what I have.
Appoligies to you, I thought you were just another person that had read something "some where" and just had to get your 2 cents in. Your last post shows otherwise.

Namikuz
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

PreviousNext

Return to 660 cc