Experiance with tires

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Experiance with tires

Postby Namikuz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:20 pm

edfmaniac wrote:Contest it. Chances are the jacka$$ won't show his face in front of a judge for 5 over and it will get dropped. He's just trying to get his "non-existent" quota so the boss will be happy.

Utah gets paid either way. I post and forfit bail (pay the ticket) will be about $55.00. Request a "plea and abaiance", no points, traffic school and that will cost me about $125.00 OR take it to court and even if dismissed, it will cost me an administrative and court cost fees of about $85.00.......... :x
Utah gets its MONY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby Namikuz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:46 pm

Sooooooo, ANYONE else wanna tell about their tire set up.......?
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby Skorpion » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Namikuz wrote:
angustoyou wrote:
Skorpion wrote:Those tyre sizes 120/70/17 front and 160/60/17 rear, are not recommended for a Skorpion as the wheel rim's are too narrow,
The front in particular will have pulled in the sidewall and made the tyre too pointy giving you a fast turn in and maybe nervousness at speed.
110/70/17 front is right. :D

The fitment is called "+1" sizing(an industry standard term) and I have personally found, over the lhe last 35-ish years riding, building, pit crew and racing motorcycles, that "+1" works very well.

In the UK we don't have an "industry standard term" for fitting wrong size tyres. I think that's a good thing. :D

No name tyre brands may be different, so might America, but inside Europe in general the tyre advice from the big tyre manufacturers these days is based on plenty of research and development. What they recommend tends to work. Reputations, swiftly followed by sales, are soon ruined if they don't.

Tyre manufacturers recommend a rim size that is appropriate for that particular tyre size, so that the tyre has the designed profile when in use. As Skorpion pointed out, you wont notice much width difference when fitted, as the rim is too narrow, and is pulling the tyre width in. You should notice an increase in the rolling radius because of this, which is why you will have seen a difference in your speedo reading, and is what gives that eagerness to tip in.

Of course without testing a correct size set back to back with your choice in sizes, there's no way of knowing which would be better.

WOW..... so you have nothing to ADD to the topic.... YOUR tires and what YOUR experiances have been? Way to keep on topic..... :shock:
I am SSOOOOoooooooo aware of recomendations of tire manurfactures. Haveing been involved in tire development with Dunlop, B.F. Goorich, Michelin, Otsu and Kumho tires, I have a feel for what they offer and how the "+" sizing works(EVEN if they are SO wrongly sized :roll: ). So..... I need not your idea of education, just YOUR input on topic, thank you. BTW.... the increase in diameter, "rolling radius" is from the aspect ratio of 110/70 vs 120/70. Ya know, 70 percent tall in sidewall to the aspect ratio of width, not rim width so much, especially for 10mm.......So, back on topic... what do you ride on and how do you like or dis-like what you have or have had? :smt006[/quote]

Why ask for feedback when you seem to know best already. :D :D

Surprised you haven't squeezed a car tyre on the back as that's quite common in the US. :shock: :shock:
Skorpion

Postby Namikuz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:04 pm

[quote
Why ask for feedback when you seem to know best already. :D :D

Surprised you haven't squeezed a car tyre on the back as that's quite common in the US. :shock: :shock:[/quote]

It's called....conversation........to instill abit of camaraderie to the Skorpion owners and see what they have used, liked, disliked.
not "looking" for a poll of what is best...by ANY ONE opinion, just conversation.
YUP.... car tires on motorcycles, big touring bikes and Pro-Street type bikes mostly, just as motorcycles started out on, square car tires.......Would it be nice to get 30K miles from a rear tire? It's called.... CHOICE and that is something you seem to miss.
I chose what I like through many years of use and trial and error. I found what I like and CHOOSE to go that way on MY bike.
Just as you may choose to post on topic OR choose to leave this conversation. :smt006 (and If I seem too sensitive, concider the connotations your statement makes about myself and country) Or you may choose to stir the pot some more I supose.... It's your choise
Cheers!! :mrgreen:
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby Namikuz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:01 am

Speaking of CAR TIRES...... Check out this big 'ole Valkyrie...... Grinding his pegs in pursuit of an.........MZ Skorpion............. He likes his car tire very well....He was very stable at 100+ on the interstate also. That thing sounded like the comming of Armagedon with the 6 into 6 Pipes.
Sorry, abit OFF TOPIC!!!! :mrgreen:
Attachments
Skorp...Reed.jpg
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:58 am

I went into your inquiry at some length on the german SZR forum site where you also posed it.

http://www.szr-forum.de/SZR-Forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1115

Doubt it can be opened with being registered, however.
Bill Jurgenson

Postby Namikuz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:28 am

Bill Jurgenson wrote:I went into your inquiry at some length on the german SZR forum site where you also posed it.

http://www.szr-forum.de/SZR-Forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1115

Doubt it can be opened with being registered, however.

Hello, Intresting that I posted on the SZR board....? I've never been to it. Hmm.....Well, it's good to see that you are still intrested in this forum, as your write ups are top notch.(and afew members have been wondering where you have been?)
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:27 am

I was mistaken about who had inquired. Here is my text just in case.

It depends on your riding style. The BT090 is a great tire, for me the best allround choice. It has great grip cold and is good in the wet. And above all it is available in the right sizes, meaning there is a 140/70 for the rear wheel instead of the 150/60 which is too big according the the manufacturers for the narrow 4" rim. The only drawback of the 090 is wear; like all tires with great grip, it wears out fast, too. It you are not a knee-down rider, and wear is a criterium, the BT45 is your best choice. It is available in the correct sizes and has plenty of grip for everyday use, more than enuf; it is very popular among racers of older stuff who must ride 18" and larger wheels, stuff like our 1200cc Laverda.
Bill Jurgenson

Postby Namikuz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:23 pm

[quote="Bill Jurgenson"]I was mistaken about who had inquired.

The link opens nicely. Looks like a nice forum for the SZR.
I signed up to look around and to gleen what I can from the Yamaha side of things. It's a shame the SZR didn't make it to the States....... Although, it would most likely have suffered the same welcome as the MZ did( and ALL the rest of the modern Street Singles.)
Thanks!
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby Mike G » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:10 pm

I am on my second set of Michellin Pilot road 2 tyres (Skorpion sport) 110/70 and 150/70 sizes. They are expensive but handle well, look good and last extremely well. The last set were still legal at 21,000 km; front and rear wore out together. I am sure the current set will last a similar distance.

Mike
Mike G

Re: Experiance with tires.....Tire chart

Postby Namikuz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Here is a tire chart compiled for tire and wheel sizes, both Radial and Bias ply, gleened from alot of different manufactures.
Some will be controversial and others make sence.
Let the screaming begin!!!!! :lol:
Click pic to enlarge.
Attachments
Wheel to tire chart3.gif
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:04 am

Perhaps you could upload or link in a size that can be read, please?
Bill Jurgenson

Postby Namikuz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:08 am

Bill Jurgenson wrote:Perhaps you could upload or link in a size that can be read, please?

You should be able to click on the pic to enlarge as noted in post......?
If not LMK.
Link to the PDF http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/ ... _Chart.pdf
As noted.... RESEARCH your choise and find what works for you.... Remember.... Factory is always recomended, but not always optimal for what you want.
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby Bill Jurgenson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:39 pm

then I hope you saw that
1) there is no 4" size (it is a bastard), and
2) 4.25 at least is the rim size listed for everything from 140/70 on up.
Just like I have repeatedly posted.
Bridgestone: 4,5" for 150/60
Pirelli: 4.25" 150/60 but then Pirellis are narrower than most others. The 150/60 SuperCorsa is only 143mm wide on the 4" rim and really does work.
On the race track a wider rim but only because of the much wider selection of tires. I used 3,5" front and 5" rear, both Marvic mag wheels.
On the 5" I ran a 165/55 Bridgestone slick or 160 Dragon Rain.
Marvic_Slick.JPG

That is neither here nor there for riding on the street.

As many will know, I use a Brembo 3.5" rear wheel with a 130/70 tire (Heidenau K66) and Brembo 3" front with K66 110/70 on my Skorpion.
Probably, the availability of Heidenau tires is nill but It you can get them (K63+K64-front/rear or K66 both), they are very good.
I use this one:
http://www.reifenwerk-heidenau.de/modules/reifenliste/view.php?point=5&rtyp=17&profil=102&pic=59
Which has identical tread but a softer hi-silica compound making it a veritable rain tire.
DSC_5749.JPG
Bill Jurgenson

Postby Namikuz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Bill Jurgenson wrote:then I hope you saw that
1) there is no 4" size (it is a bastard), and
2) 4.25 at least is the rim size listed for everything from 140/70 on up.
Just like I have repeatedly posted.
Bridgestone: 4,5" for 150/60
Pirelli: 4.25" 150/60 but then Pirellis are narrower than most others. The 150/60 SuperCorsa is only 143mm wide on the 4" rim and really does work.
On the race track a wider rim but only because of the much wider selection of tires. I used 3,5" front and 5" rear, both Marvic mag wheels.
On the 5" I ran a 165/55 Bridgestone slick or 160 Dragon Rain.
Marvic_Slick.JPG

That is neither here nor there for riding on the street.

As many will know, I use a Brembo 3.5" rear wheel with a 130/70 tire (Heidenau K66) and Brembo 3" front with K66 110/70 on my Skorpion.
Probably, the availability of Heidenau tires is nill but It you can get them (K63+K64-front/rear or K66 both), they are very good.
I use this one:
http://www.reifenwerk-heidenau.de/modules/reifenliste/view.php?point=5&rtyp=17&profil=102&pic=59
Which has identical tread but a softer hi-silica compound making it a veritable rain tire.
DSC_5749.JPG

Yup, I noticed the odd size wheel in the late '90s when I came across the Skorpion line. Odd indeed. I was "too much of a man" to ride a single. Though I was intrigued enough to test ride one. So I finally came around and last April I had seen quite afew Skorpions for sale. I put a LOW bid on a traveller (wanted to see his reserve) won the auction on Easter morning....SOO, I had to keep my obligation to purchase and have not regretted it one second. Though I'm a little tired of being asked "who makes MZ, Ducatti?". eh...
I'm stumped on which tire manufacture suggests an 3.5" wheel for an160/60.....But it's there on the chart?(grey boxes as fitment suggestions) I was concerned about the 4" wheel before I orderd. I tried it and Works well for my tastes. I may come up with an Suzuki Bandit wheel in the future, but it's working well as is. As for the 120/70, it falls right in the ballpark. I had no reserversations for the 120/70 as I have used this size on the same size wheel in the past and liked it very well.
There are manufactures and profiles I would not concider useing on a narrow wheel as the profile would be nearly " () " shaped the side wall would waller and cause instabillity...everywhere..
I like the larger size tire for my everyday road bike for road irregularty absorption and they seem to be unaffected by "Road Snakes" that are so prevelent in Utah and most of the western USA. They roll in effortlessly and hold the intended line. Very neutral. I expected the turn in to be slower and feel heavier, BUT I was comparing them to the mismatched tires that were on when purchased.
Sizeing is controversial, as is the Power Cruiser, Heavy Touring and Pro Street type bikes logging 100s of thousands of miles, safely on modern car tires. It's a choice.
The Heidenau are available in country at a very high price. There are alot of great reviews and accolades surrounding them.
I've used Metzler, Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, Contis, Kenda, Shinko....Well LOTS of brands and models over the decades and REALLY like the Corsa line for sport riding. But since the MZ's mostly for comutting and the occasional weekend jaunt, I thought I'de give these "Korean" Yokohamas a try.
They are touted as a hi-milage sport tour radial tire, were inexpencive and had a profile that I have found works well on the road in a +1 sizing.
I'm not sure how well they would work on a high powered multi in track enviroments, but should and seems to be well suited to the Skorpion's power and weight. I like them so far. They scuffed in quickly from new and warm up fairly quick to an 8/10s riding situation. (that's a far as I'll go on the streets)
For the track, ROAD COMPLIANCE BE GONE!!!!! Traction, lean angle and stabillity are a must. But there is SOOooo much that goes into tire selection on track day, track and ambient conditions, power, CLASS RULES, ect.... as you so well know.
Well thank you for the conversation and sharing your experiances and likes.
I'll keep updating these as the miles climb and the knee gets closer to a track day. :twisted: ( I gotta take it ONCE, panels off ofcourse)
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

PreviousNext

Return to 660 cc