M4 BLAPPY!!!!

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

M4 BLAPPY!!!!

Postby Namikuz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:11 pm

So, does anyone else think the M4 pipe is abit......BLAPPY under power? At idle and modest throttle it's not too bad but under full HONK.............
AND being riveted together........Surgury to re-pack.
Anyone re-pack an M4, that is assuming it is even able to be done.....
time to break out the DRILL!!!!!!!!! (naw, not just yet....) :mrgreen:
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Re: M4 BLAPPY!!!!

Postby basser23 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:05 am

I'm sure you can repack an M4,not a hateful job....I've done my Holeshot a couple of times,and it doesn't leak!! The outer sleeve rivet holes were worn elongated so i used a slightly larger rivet with washers/sealer...took all of an hour(including beer)...but yeah under WOT it is loud anyway.....
basser23

Postby den » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:08 am

Please dont forget to bind the inner baffle tube with wire wool , local £1 shop will have some , If you dont youll slowly blow the wadding out and it will leak very quickly and sound really awfull,,Youtube have lots of good howtoos on this
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Postby Namikuz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks for the replys..... YOU TUBE TO THE RESCUE!!!!!!!! off to the vids................... :mrgreen:
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby Namikuz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:06 pm

update on the BLAPPY!!!! Looked around and some people have said the pipe is rebuildable and others say it is as is delivered, and has no packing and it can not be rebuilt.
So I tried 2 different B/D killers to poor results.
The first style has a metal tube that goes in the pipe and a substantially smaller outlett size and the 2nd is an aluminum disc with 7 holes in it that goes just in the outlett.
The first REALLY was bad, lost power and made the Scorp sound like the 8H/P yard de-thacher being used across the street.... NOT FUNNY!!!! lol
The Dale Walker Hole Shot disc was better, but did loose some topend and sounded muffled... kind of a Puff...Puff...Pufff in stead of Rumble...Rumble...Rumble.
Both are GONE!!!!! I had my son take the Skorp for a spin(one of ONLY 2 people I would let ride it) and listened to both D/b killers....Sounded SSSOOooooooo mush better with out either, and not being on it.
Was not Blappy at all from even 10 feet away. Still a bit on the uproarious side of civillity....but not Like I thought.
So I'm not giong worry about it, Cops and neighbours dont give it a second thought....It must be GOLD!!!! :smt005
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby den » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:14 am

if both ends have rivets then its defiantly strippable,,mine was an American Johnson for whatever , i liked it purely because it was carbon fiber and the end had the correct 3 holes at the right spaces to fit my m4 type link pipe,,i would not have bothered if i didn't see any rivets in the add,lol , as soon as i got it i drilled out all the rivets and pulled it apart,,Its a straight through exhaust mind,i was left with outside cylinder , inner baffle tube and two ends,,i chopped off a "3 section of the cylinder and inner baffle , re-wound it with wire wool , bought some sweet(must be it was expensive) high temp silicone exhaust matting,and refurbished it,A good tip if your thinking of doing this ,
wrap the inner baffle with wire wool , very tight , about three turns,Then wrap the baffle with the high temp matting,,you need to be even when rolling and firm but not too tight , roll it till is just too big for the outer cylinder , now the good bit , Stick the whole baffle/wadding in a black bin liner(super thin ones that are useless as bin liners)and suck all the air out with a vacuum /Hoover,,get the picture, now slide the baffle in the bag inside the cylinder ,once your happy , poke the bag and let the air in , leave the bag in place , nothing will happen to it , mines still there ,, fit the end caps noting the orientation of the of the outlet tube direction and the bolt fixing holes , silicone seal and re river , job done ,
ps , i bought a stainless steel scorpion endcan that has the same bolt hole fittings for the m4 type link pipe if anyones interested, :smt004
den

Postby Namikuz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:07 am

den wrote:if both ends have rivets then its defiantly strippable,,mine was an American Johnson for whatever , i liked it purely because it was carbon fiber and the end had the correct 3 holes at the right spaces to fit my m4 type link pipe,,i would not have bothered if i didn't see any rivets in the add,lol , as soon as i got it i drilled out all the rivets and pulled it apart,,Its a straight through exhaust mind,i was left with outside cylinder , inner baffle tube and two ends,,i chopped off a "3 section of the cylinder and inner baffle , re-wound it with wire wool , bought some sweet(must be it was expensive) high temp silicone exhaust matting,and refurbished it,A good tip if your thinking of doing this ,
wrap the inner baffle with wire wool , very tight , about three turns,Then wrap the baffle with the high temp matting,,you need to be even when rolling and firm but not too tight , roll it till is just too big for the outer cylinder , now the good bit , Stick the whole baffle/wadding in a black bin liner(super thin ones that are useless as bin liners)and suck all the air out with a vacuum /Hoover,,get the picture, now slide the baffle in the bag inside the cylinder ,once your happy , poke the bag and let the air in , leave the bag in place , nothing will happen to it , mines still there ,, fit the end caps noting the orientation of the of the outlet tube direction and the bolt fixing holes , silicone seal and re river , job done ,
ps , i bought a stainless steel scorpion endcan that has the same bolt hole fittings for the m4 type link pipe if anyones interested, :smt004

Sweet, so...... sound difference? did the re-pack take away the "bark" and leave a nice deep tone.....? I'm gonig to strip mine apart next month and re pack with ceramic wool exhaust matting. I like the idea of the bag. sneaky way to sneak it back together....
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby den » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:27 pm

i posted this in a topic about my carbs and how to stop the backfire when de-cellerating,,turns out i just got to do a minor adjustment with the jets because ive now got a straight through exhaust and not the original that had a cat,,( theres a difference in back pressure).so listen to the video and make you own assessment.people have said the de-celleration backfire is normal(ish).in this video ive not modded carb yet

http://youtu.be/D93lnIOThtw
den

Postby Namikuz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:35 pm

den wrote:i posted this in a topic about my carbs and how to stop the backfire when de-cellerating,,turns out i just got to do a minor adjustment with the jets because ive now got a straight through exhaust and not the original that had a cat,,( theres a difference in back pressure).so listen to the video and make you own assessment.people have said the de-celleration backfire is normal(ish).in this video ive not modded carb yet

http://youtu.be/D93lnIOThtw

Sweet MZ Den.... looks cleaner that my dishes comming out of the dishwasher!!!!!! Sounded nice and DeeP!!!! Took the "bark" away and left a nice DeeP mellow tone.
nice Job with the Yosh can!!!!
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby Namikuz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:08 pm

NEVER!!!!!! will I complain OR even begin to think the M4 can is loud.
Went on an easy jaunt through the Mtns with some friends, the other bikes, an Ducati Monster 600 Dark, An R6 and another Ducati, a 996 were ALL louder than mine.
MAN dem DUCS ARE LOUD!!!! Termignoni carbonfiber slipons are Sooooo loud!!! even when the Monster was behind me.... LOUD!!! and me behind them.... sheeezzzz..............
UNFORTUNATLY..... we had an incident, the road had a bit of a washed out spot and the Monster losided behind me, we later trailered it down the mtn. Went down about 35 mph in a 35 zone, on a road we came up a few hours prior.....Nature will bite'cha!!!
So..... I'm good with the M4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Postby Namikuz » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:32 pm

I found the reason the M4 is so "blappy"..... THe can was pushed about 5 inches down the pipe. I pulled the can to where it belongs and the Skorp came alive and the "blappness" went completely away and left a gorgeous deep tone. The pipe looks abit strange hanging back that far..... IT SURE WORKS!!!! (NOT SURPRISING THOUGH, the big single likes a long exhaust) :twisted:
Robbie(Namikuz)Stevens
Rev'em high....
Rev'em HARD!!!!!
Namikuz

Return to 660 cc