Unable to crank over Skorpion after 18 month lay up

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Unable to crank over Skorpion after 18 month lay up

Postby basser23 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:29 am

Following this very carefully,I think I'd change oil BEFORE starting....18 months of sitting cant be any good....then once running change it after about 500 miles...use cheap oil initially,then the good stuff 2nd change....just a thought...whats a few bob for oil anyway.....
basser23

Postby maxgain » Wed May 15, 2013 8:55 am

Today I finally managed to re-fit the starter motor cover complete with nice new bearing. The bike now cranks over nicely but will not fire up. I have checked for spark and there's plenty. The plug was soiled slightly (damp, smelling of possible fuel) and I could smell this from the exhaust whilst cranking. I had previously put some wd4o into through the plug hole and some oil before trying to manually turn the piston a couple of weeks back. Don't know if I had slightly overdone it with the oil and wd40. Will any excess oil in the cylinder disperse by cranking the engine or have I caused an additional problem. Also I am going to get some fresh fuel as I am conscious the fuels been sitting in the tank for quite sometime. I shall have to try tomorrow now as the battery is flattened through my attempt to start it.

Regards

Stu
maxgain

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed May 15, 2013 9:36 am

fresh gas should help in my area it seems to go nasty very soon..
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby basser23 » Wed May 15, 2013 2:30 pm

If the fuel is 18 months old,it will be no good......dump it......you could also have carb issues....after 18 months,,,,,,
basser23

Postby Berniecal » Wed May 22, 2013 10:44 pm

Well done finding the seized bearing, and here's what I would do in your situation:
1. Don't worry about the clutch until you get the motor running. There's a good chance it will free up with a bit of bumping.
2. Put the plug in finger tight and spin the motor using the starter for no more than 5 seconds. This should clear out any excess WD, oil, etc.
3. Remove plug and make sure you have a good spark. A new plug would be nice, but if you have a torch, heat the metal body of the plug until it stops smoking, nearly red hot. You want to burn off the crud from inside the plug. After cooling, wire brush the tip. Pat yourself on the back if you've done it without getting your fingers burnt. Set the gap fairly small, about .5mm
4. Add about 1/2 teaspoon of fuel into the cylinder. I know it's devilish to get it in there, but you'll find a way. Install plug and try starting. With any luck, you'll get a few revs and shout Eureka.
5. Remove the drain screw from the carb floatbowl and catch what comes out for inspection. Water is the#1 enemy and causes havoc with carburettors. Next requirement is clean fuel. Old is usually OK but must be clean (sediment-free) and water free. Also be aware that if you have water in your tank, it only comes through when you're on reserve.
2001 Skorpion Tour. Of about 50 bikes I have owned, this is the one I have kept the longest.
Berniecal

Postby maxgain » Thu May 23, 2013 4:41 am

Hi Berniecal

many thanks for your help. I put some fresh petrol in but didn't drain the carb. I shall do as you have advised and also have a fresh new plug to try. Its developed an oil leak coming from the smaller pipe off the oil tank so I need to change that before I do anything else as its spewing oil over the chain and rear wheel. I also drained the tank when adding the fresh fuel.

Shall let you know how I get on.

kind regards

Stu
maxgain

Postby mincehead » Sun May 26, 2013 11:05 pm

Turn the engine over on the starter WITHOUT any fuel in the carb and without the plug in, turn off the fuel tap and drain the carbs float bowl first, that`ll help to disperse the oil / solvents you put down the bore.
Then, turn the fuel tap on and leave it like that.
Next heat a known good spark plug up with a blowtorch or even a good cigarette lighter, just the electrode end which you can do if you use the plug box spanner supplied in the toolkit.
Get it pretty hot but don`t try to redden it and get it screwed back into the head while still hot, nipping it up.
Then if your fuel is fresh (modern fuels go stale pretty quickly) and your carb not compromised by oxidisation from moisture she should fire up when cranked with the choke on. :wink:
The hot plug trick simply helps to burn off anything that may find it`s way onto the plug and gives it a better chance of not becomming fouled.
mincehead

Postby hb7 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:33 pm

Did you park it like an ~idiot : without draining the carb ?
The carb is all varnished / gummed up....
hb7

Previous

Return to 660 cc