Adjusting WP Shock for rider weight

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Adjusting WP Shock for rider weight

Postby krt69 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:31 pm

I'm 6'2" and 100kgs and want to know if i can adjust the rear shock on my BP so that the bike doesn't sink so much when I get on it?
I know it as adjusters on it but not sure what should be what.
Any advice please?
krt69

Postby keithcross » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:40 pm

To adjust the suspension for your weigh (if required) you need to adjust teh preload on teh rear spring. This is done by tightening the nuts on teh top of the spring.
Adjusting the front end is a bit more tricky. Spacers will have to be instaled in teh fornt forks. One way of doing this is to install additional spacers of springs on top of the existing ones. Valve springs can be used for this.
There are alternitive springs available to replace the original ones.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby phlat65 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:46 pm

if it is a full height, set the rear sag at about 90mm, measured from the rear axle to a point on the fender. 90mm is the difference between full extension ( rear wheel off the ground) and you sitting on bike with your normal gear on. if it is a HR model, start with 65mm of sag.

if the static sag measurement (bike's weight only, diff between full extension and bike up-right no kick stand, bounce the rear a couple times) is less than 30% of sag ( 30mm) you need a stiffer spring. ( too much pre-load) I would say if it is less than 20mm, get a stiffer spring.

I have owned both full height and HR, and they work good set up this way.

these are just guidelines, I am not a suspension expert, but I have set up my own off-road bikes for years.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby andyw » Wed May 17, 2006 4:15 am

keithcross wrote:To adjust the suspension for your weigh (if required) you need to adjust teh preload on teh rear spring. This is done by tightening the nuts on teh top of the spring.
Adjusting the front end is a bit more tricky. Spacers will have to be instaled in teh fornt forks. One way of doing this is to install additional spacers of springs on top of the existing ones. Valve springs can be used for this.
There are alternitive springs available to replace the original ones.

Keith

I'd like to stiffen up the front end of my Mastiff a little (without spending big bucks!) - anyone tried Keith's suggestion or give other info/ideas?
Anyone experimented with different weight fork oil?

Thanks
2005 R1200GS - 2002 MZ Mastiff: No more :-(

http://www.MotorcycleInfo.co.uk
andyw

Return to 660 cc