blowing turn signal fuses- 01 traveller

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

blowing turn signal fuses- 01 traveller

Postby ironhorse99 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:31 am

Before we go looking for shorts let me say that when this happens its when the bike is running. with the key on I can use them all day long without problem. When I start the bike that's when it goes. I've checked the regulator @ 4k rpm,s & its outputs 15.4 volts....a little high but I think ok. This has been a problem since the bike was new. It would randomly blow a fuse & after 2 yrs the main fuse went(in front of a gas station no less) just as I used the signal. Upon inspection of the t.s.flasher I saw the resister was all burned up. Thinking it was the flasher I started using aftermarket units which flashed too rapidly....I don't want to get sidetracked with that issue. What I'm leaning towards is the back current diodes. Looking at the wire diagram for the T.S. 1 lead goes to the t.s.flasher(22) & the other to the light relay(36) Between the connector which I found & the light relay is a 600v 3a back current diode(34) I'd like to check but can't find it.I thought by disconnecting the connector I'd be able to check it with my meter which has that ability. It looks like this diode protects against starter motor effects. At any rate......any help in this regard is Greatly Appreciated. I don't know if I'm allowed by will try & post this in the 660 section as well.
ironhorse99

Re: blowing turn signal fuses- 01 traveller

Postby daveb6303 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:59 pm

I have just fitted a generic flasher unit and mine seem to be flashing far to fast how did you solve your issue please
daveb6303

Postby Chalks » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Do these little beasties run 10w bulbs in the indicators? If so you'll need a suitable relay, most normal flasher relays are for 21w bulbs, hence flashing rapidly. :shock:
Chalks

Postby ironhorse99 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:03 pm

daveb6303 wrote:I have just fitted a generic flasher unit and mine seem to be flashing far to fast how did you solve your issue please

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
generic flashers will have this affect.They are balanced for a different load which leads to rapid flashing. I upgraded to l.e.d's and purchased an adjustable flasher from a merchant on ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/creativeeos. They ship from china and arrive in 1 week :>)
Mine works like a charm & has a dial to adj.the flash rate. The connectors are exactly the same orientation I believe its a cf-14. I bought 2 for just under $20 w/free shipping.....i think. Hope this helps. M
Last edited by ironhorse99 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironhorse99

Postby ironhorse99 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:07 pm

Chalks wrote:Do these little beasties run 10w bulbs in the indicators? If so you'll need a suitable relay, most normal flasher relays are for 21w bulbs, hence flashing rapidly. :shock:

They do indeed.10w. My l.e.d's are 2.5w running 13 led's.
ironhorse99

Postby Tamaco » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:18 am

To correct the flash rate you need to wire in a load resistor in parallel with the new flashers. Basically pulls that part of the circuit up to the same resistance as it was with an incandescent bulb, which lets your relay switch at the correct speed.

Alternatively you can get a LED specific flasher relay which flashes correctly at the lower loads.

The item ironhorse is talking about is a flasher unit with integrated potentiometer by sounds of it, which is quite cool :D
Tamaco

Return to 660 cc