Baggie carb swap options ?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Baggie carb swap options ?

Postby STANIMAL » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:37 am

samandkimberly wrote:I think what you're doing is crazy, inefficient, and *great*. It's off the wall enough that it will be hard to predict how it will work once you've sorted it out, but is sounds like its working. My bet is that you'll get good torque/midrange, and for street riding top end is highly overrated. Keep letting us know how it works!

If you're looking for more even low end response I would play with a longer inlet - maybe putting some tube between the carb and head.

Sam
Its working great , having a block off plate made today , other than that , runs smooth , idles smooth , starts perfectly . I will need a throttle cable to be made , I want to have it properly setup . Right now I am using the throttle tube that came with the carb .
STANIMAL

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:58 pm

please post the numbers for your carb and jets
i am sick of my traveller setting in the basement because it runs so bad ..its no fun to ride
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby STANIMAL » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:06 pm

DAVID THOMPSON wrote:please post the numbers for your carb and jets
i am sick of my traveller setting in the basement because it runs so bad ..its no fun to ride
dave
The carb I am using came off an XR600 , flatslide Mikuni with a 200 main at the moment and the needle raised all the way . I was looking for any 40mm or so carb and this one came up on ADVrider . I am sure any carb off a 650 anything will work with a little jetting work . Not to mention it comes off in a few minuets for adjustments .
STANIMAL

Postby breakwellmz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:50 pm

You have started with the same carb set-up that i have on my standard 10,000 mile ten year old Mastiff i`m assuming?
Mine has always started,idled and ran well(Apart from Knackered batteries and remembering to empty the carb of fuel if it`s going to be not used for a couple of weeks)In fact,i`ve felt lately that it seems run in!
It`s become more flexible and tractable.I can be pootling around one minute and very quickly zap up to ninety with good carburetion through the rev range.
Probably nothing to do with it, but i`ve always put a dollop of two stroke oil in every full tank of regular UK unleaded.

Have i missed something?
breakwellmz

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:35 pm

yes ethanol in the fuel over here so every thing runs bad

the carbs will not pass the stuff so it will burn
i also have a 1970 bmw with cv carbs its parked till i can find a set of dellortos
the gas eats up the rubbers in the bing cv carbs
dave
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby STANIMAL » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:41 pm

[imgImage][/img]

My block off plate , laser cut from stainless .
STANIMAL

Postby STANIMAL » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:45 pm

I know how excited you guys seem about this , but the bikes runs great . I am going to size pilot jet down a little and maybe the main . Otherwise , good to go .
STANIMAL

Postby breakwellmz » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:37 am

Hi.

How`s your`Oh so simple`carb conversion been running, how about giving us an update?

Cheers
breakwellmz

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:44 pm

yes an update.
bunch of us just want them to run without all the fuss
with the oem carbs that never seem to run correct
dave
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Postby STANIMAL » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:59 pm

Its been fine . I did jet it down a little , seemed too rich , but in the springtime , I will run it on the dyno to get actual results . It starts great , idles great , runs great . The only thing I didnt get a chance to do is any high speed runs to see if the 38mm carb flows enough . I am guessing it does , since it came off a 600 . I also just picked up a 40mm CVK carb for possible future experiments .
STANIMAL

Postby billr » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:49 pm

STANIMAL wrote:Its been fine . I did jet it down a little , seemed too rich , but in the springtime , I will run it on the dyno to get actual results . It starts great , idles great , runs great . The only thing I didnt get a chance to do is any high speed runs to see if the 38mm carb flows enough . I am guessing it does , since it came off a 600 . I also just picked up a 40mm CVK carb for possible future experiments .

Thanks for the update. One less thing to worry about to keep the Skorp on the road.
Bill R
billr

Previous

Return to 660 cc