SZR compression

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: SZR compression

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:51 am

I could spend a lot of money on this site and will be ordering my carbs from them through a US distributor in the next few months. Enter SZR660 or XTZ660 into the search window and you'll see a list of items to look at. You can also browse their catalog online. http://www.kedo.com/
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Tamaco » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:12 am

Ah Jesus that website is going to bankrupt me.

I'll wait til the end of the week and see if this oil consumption is excessive. If it is I'll pop the head and barrel and see what I need to buy, and order some jets at the same time.
Tamaco

Postby Tamaco » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:39 pm

Ok I have good news and bad news:

Good news is the screw for setting when the big CV carb, that EDF told me about, has made the big the ultimate fun machine for riding. I screwed it in a good 2 and a half turns, probably halved my MPGs, but was worth it.

Bad news is this thing seems to be drinking oil like crazy. I'm not even sure on checking the oil level on this bike as it has a dry sump and you measure the level in the tank, I warmed the bike slightly, tilted it upright and took a measurement on the dipstick. It was barely registering, waaay below the minimum mark, when approx 250 miles ago I had it filled to the maximum mark.

So assuming its not a tank issue and the oil is managing to make its way back into the tank, what are the recommended steps to rectify the excessive oil usage? Is it piston rings and valve seals?

Cheers.
Tamaco

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:08 pm

if it sat for a long time it may take a while for the rings to reset them selves
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Tamaco » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:16 pm

Well I bought it last year and it wasn't a runner. But it didn't take much to get it going, clean fuel, cleaned carbs, new fuel and vacuum tubes, new air filter and battery - and it started up. So I've been going out on it every week or so, so hasn't really been sitting.

When I bought it, I bought it with the knowledge that the crank had been split to replace 3rd and 4rth gears, shame really because I would of had the sprung gear replaced at the same time.
Tamaco

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:40 pm

You can get to the cush drive gear by just removing the right side cover. No need to split cases for that.

As for checking the oil, only check levels when the bike is at full temp. I won't even trust my levels until the bike has at least been to the corner store and back. I'd have to check the archives to see what kind of mileage I was getting out of a liter.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Tamaco » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:27 am

That's handy to know about the cush drive gear.

I'll have to check the bike again when its up to temperature, but the first 2 readings were done at full temp, and 1 litre in 200 miles seems excessive.
Tamaco

Previous

Return to 660 cc