2002 MZ SKORPION 660 electrical issue..HELP!!!!!! florida

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

2002 MZ SKORPION 660 electrical issue..HELP!!!!!! florida

Postby poppanitrous » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:37 am

Hello,
Im located in DAYTONA BEACH,FLORIDA,U.S.A.
Ive been a member on here for a few years and i went back and forth with the idea of selling my 2002 MZ SKORPION 660,but after finding GRAHAMS in the U.K. I was able to procure fresh carbs and header,REMUS carbon fiber slip on etc.
Problem is i broke my back racing motocross shortly after i got my MZ running. When i finally put 2,000 miles on fresh top end,5-angle valve job,piston/rings,clutch etc, it started burnig up the rear tail light bulbs,then popping the main starter fuse here and there. Well one day at about 2100 fresh motor mark it just died while riding back homemon freeway,i tried tompop start while rolling and it wouldnt stay running. Compression is great,carbs i always used SEAFOAM so jets arent clogged so im stuck with my least favorite, the dreaded electrical without a service manual.

I procured a YAMAHA SZR660 manual and thats how i rebuilt the motor but i really would like the actual service manual soi can bring itto a local YAMAHA shop to try and have them diagnose. After my motocross accident i can wrench on anything for long periods of time and i really would like to get my MZ back on the road.

Has anyone had similiar electrical issues or can someone sell me a copy of the wiring schematics please?
The neutral light isnt illuminating when i turn the key on,the guages and headlight work fine and high/low beam. I removed signals years ago when i was going to race AHRMA SUPER MONO II class,so i dont have to worry about the signals.
Does anyone have a diagram of the neutral safety switch? Can that be the issue?
How many wires do you have going to battery? I only have the main positive hot wire to starter solonoid on + post and there seems to be just a small ground for the lights and a large ground wire that is screwed to the left side stator cover area. Those are the only three wires i have.
I brought it to a "mechanic" after my injury and when i got it back it wouldnt even turn over and the guy claims he had it running and it just needed a battery because mine died,so i loaded it in my truck believing him since he has been a fixture in the motorcycle (harley) community for decades in DAYTONA and ordered parts from shop i used to work at,so i had no reason to believe he was lying. Well its been sitting in my garage for 2years and if anyone knows an MZ 660 enthusiast that can get it running for me or can email me the wiring diagrams,neutral safety routing,i would be very appreciative.

Thank you in advance
poppanitrous

Re: 2002 MZ SKORPION 660 electrical issue..HELP!!!!!! florid

Postby Glidd » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:48 am

Hi, there is a link to a set of wiring diagram at http://www.fun.bottger.de/mzskorpion/sk ... wiring.zip. Posted on MZ Riders.com back in 2007 by Bill Jurgenson, the zip file is still there for download.
2003 Baghira SM
1995 ZZR1100
Redditch
UK
Glidd

Postby den » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:58 am

There are posts here about the safety features
And common problems why the bike will not start. Faulty neutral
Switch wire being one of them.Why it should all of a sudden die? Well
That could have been water in the handlebar kill switch. There are known diods
Built into the wireing loom that also cause issues. Have a good ole search in this forum
And you'll find some clues
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:57 am

Re-wiring the whole bike might just be the easiest thing to do if you can't find the problem quickly. There's a post on here somewhere with a very simplified harness design if you decide to go that route. I just wired my bike this year so it's still fairly fresh in my head.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:02 am

If you get it started again before you do the harness work, check the voltage at the regulator. I'm curious if you are putting out too much power.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:23 am

The battery's + post should have a charge wire coming from the fuse box in addition to the heavy gauge cable going to the starter solenoid. The - post should have the heavy gauge wire going to one of the mounting bolts for the starter and one common ground leading to a little octopus of ground wires soldered together in the harness. I don't know why your negative post has a wire going to the stator cover area. Coming out of the stator cover should be a small harness with 3 wires that have their own connector(generator), 2 wires that are also on separate connector(ignition pick up) and one more wire that should be your neutral kill switch.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Srinath » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:33 pm

If it will start but want to stall in 5 sec or less ... you may have a tight valve.
If it will start but dies as it gets warm and will start back up as it gets cold again, and eventually that window it will stay running will get smaller and smaller till it will not start - that could be the crank trigger. Left side on the case and I replaced mine with the 01+ raptor 660 one on the bike with the holed piston. It made spark ... didn't start ... but the piston has a hole big enough to drop a dime through.

Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

Postby poppanitrous » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:28 pm

It was my AHRMA super mono II project years back,so anything signal related is cut off.so NO signals.
I was driving back from work on freeway it sputtered i thought it was out of gas,popped the clutch and it still would stay running. It did rain a few times heavy here in florida on way to work and its not getting power to starter.
I gave to an idiot harley shop to machine the rear grimeca brake pin i had lost in my move,he was just supposed to cut one on lathe and he asked why it didnt run i said it had electrical gremlin,he gave it back to me and it blew fuses,but when he gave it back to me my battery was mysteriously dead when i picked it up. So thats what worries me.

Here is the picture of the only three wires,the smallest orange wire when i ground to battery the lights work,high and low beam work horn works, no starter though. Im taking airbox off to put individual conical fiters,so while im in there i want to wire or rewire.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME.i need my MZ,my misses tore her rotator cuff and needs my truck for therapy,so this is not just a fun project but a must have means of transportation for me soon.

poppanitrous

Postby poppanitrous » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:39 pm

Srinath wrote:If it will start but want to stall in 5 sec or less ... you may have a tight valve.
If it will start but dies as it gets warm and will start back up as it gets cold again, and eventually that window it will stay running will get smaller and smaller till it will not start - that could be the crank trigger. Left side on the case and I replaced mine with the 01+ raptor 660 one on the bike with the holed piston. It made spark ... didn't start ... but the piston has a hole big enough to drop a dime through.

Cool.
Srinath.

In my O.P. origional post, i think i mentioned the motor has a brand new five angle valve (radiused) vakve job, with brand piston rings,hone all done in our machine shop. The problem is in no way mechanical,it is a perfect airpump. I built this from scratch, out of parts in boxes. It ran for at least 2,000 miles flawlessly didnt leak,wheelies good etc.
After i rode it in rain a few times i threw a bikini style fairing and shortly after had some problems blwoing rear brake light bulb then 1st fuse blew here and there ,then theincident in the freeway and havent rode it since.
But the top end and even the clutch everything is fresh. The issue is electrical,i dont have continuity tester,my SNAPON box was stolen at MX track out of my truck before i broke my back in 2011. I lost interest in riding,but ive now gotten better and my back is good enough and im approching 40 years old so i need to start riding again before i just dont get back on and lose interest all together.
I used to have print outs of everythin but when i built the bike and moved i lost or accidentally threw out everything.

I will check out that link to the electrical and see what i can manage tomorrow,if i run a screwdriver across solonoid im going to see with my battery charged if it will at least turnover tomorrow and i will post more pics of the wiring so you guys can help me get this running. My misses doesnt think it ever ran,so i wanna surprise her soon.

THANK YOU ALL FORYUR HELP SO FAR:)

poppanitrous

Postby poppanitrous » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:44 am

Glidd wrote:Hi, there is a link to a set of wiring diagram at http://www.fun.bottger.de/mzskorpion/sk ... wiring.zip. Posted on MZ Riders.com back in 2007 by Bill Jurgenson, the zip file is still there for download.

LINK DIDNT WORK :(
sorry im a very analog kind of guy. I used windows 7-zip and when it opened it says I need office for some and the rest are GIFs that don't open it looks like a pic trying to load.
I have a new PC which I assumed had everything I needed on it when I bought it 6-months ago, I guess not.

can someone please just send the wiring for the ignition system or post it here as pics I can print out and bring in garage with me please.
tomorrow I want to work on the MZ all day, so if anyone can help me with the procuring a viewable version of the MZ SKORPION wiring I would appreciate it.
again if they are in jpg picture format where I can save them in my photobucket that would be ideal if someone here is a techie and can convert those GIFs for me.
the wiring for the ignition,neutral safety and kill switch would be ideal.

thank you in advance
poppanitrous
poppanitrous

Postby Norman Wade » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:10 am

Try these:

skorpwiring.jpg

skorpleg.jpg

Norman
Norman Wade

Postby poppanitrous » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:56 am

Norman Wade wrote:Try these:

skorpwiring.jpg

skorpleg.jpg

Norman

NORMAN, you have officially made my "cool list", thank you much bro.
im going in the garage and im going to find out where the short is.

thanks again
poppanitrous

Postby zippy49 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:15 am

I have a spare harness if it turns out that you need one...
Tom in SoCal
zippy49

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:16 am

click on file to make it display larger
dave
Attachments
Skorpion Ignition with notes.jpg
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Srinath » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:02 pm

A perfectly cut valve and seat wont matter if 1 valve is tight enough to let mixture get past it as it warms up.

Now I have in the past had a bike that ran perfectly when hot and start perfectly have a hella hard time between 5 ssec and 5 min after starting. You have to rev it constantly when its warming up ...
It will have great compression hot and cold, it has an issue warming up only.

It could be some else, just suggesting what has happened to me as a possiblity.

Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

Next

Return to 660 cc