Skorpion Sport pillion pad lock

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Skorpion Sport pillion pad lock

Postby lavrentyuk » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:03 am

I can't seem to get the pillion seat on my Skorpion Sport to lock into position.

The angle of the pin on the seat base doesn't seem to engage deeply enough with the locking mechanism, and yes, I have tried using the slight vertical adjustment available.

The locking mechanism itself looks suspiciously vertical whereas the pin enters at an angle.

Am I missing something obvious here ?

I may try posting a picture of each when I can figure out how.

Suggestions please.
Richard Marshall
Wales, U.K.
MuZ Skorpion Tour, ETZ 300 or two (one with a sidecar - really insane mode of transport), a couple of TS125s, ETZ 125, BMW R100S and an Enfield Interceptor for daily use.
(some of them work too).
lavrentyuk

Re: Skorpion Sport pillion pad lock

Postby lavrentyuk » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:46 am

Problem solved by the judicious application of 'special tool no. 1'.
Richard Marshall
Wales, U.K.
MuZ Skorpion Tour, ETZ 300 or two (one with a sidecar - really insane mode of transport), a couple of TS125s, ETZ 125, BMW R100S and an Enfield Interceptor for daily use.
(some of them work too).
lavrentyuk

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:06 am

i thank "Harley Riders" call that a sledge hammer
not recommended.
but sometimes the only tool that works
:smt040
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby phoenix76rb » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:27 am

I am having the exact same issue with my '95 Skorpion Sport, but have not yet resorted to the sledgehammer solution.
--
Tim in Herndon, VA, USA
1995 MZ-660 Skorpion Sport
1975 Ducati 750GT round-case (basket case)
1967 Honda CL-90
2003 Ducati DS1000SS Ultra-lightweight Street Roadster
1999 Ducati 750SS Frankenstein with DS1000SS engine
2000 Harley FXDX
2007 Harley FLHXI
phoenix76rb

Postby Dave-the-rave » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:43 pm

It might be a difficult procedure to describe but I'll give it a go.

Put the key in the lock and turn clockwise to open. Remove seat. Now turn the key counter clockwise to close. Put the seat back on so it's slightly to the rear of it's final position. Ya gotta line up the two pins with the two holes. At this point the seat will be sitting flat and flush with the plastic. No funny tilting angles are required but the seat will be slightly to the rear. Push the seat forward until the pins engage the holes and the seat is fully located forward.

Now give the rear of the seat a sharp bash with your hand. The rear should lock into position. It will NOT lock if you haven't turned the key back anticlockwise before hitting it.

If that doesn't help I'd suggest having a good look at the mechanism. Open and close with the key with the seat off. When closed stick yer finger in it and observe how it springs shut. It CAN'T spring shut if the key is left in the open position.

It's one of these things which is easy when you know how. Hope that helps.
His - 1995 Yamaha XV750, 21 000 miles.
Hers - 1994 MZ Scorpion Sport - 40 000 miles.
Dave-the-rave

Postby lavrentyuk » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks but figuring out how it worked wasn't the problem. The seat pin could not, ever, meet the lock in its existing position. What was actually gentle work with a wooden mallet rather than a sledgehammer (lol) having taken the mechanism off first put it into the correct position and it now works as I believe the manufacturer intended.

A previous owner had made a rather neat replacement pillion seat pad on a homemade base, and presumably moved the locking mechanism mount at that time. All is now well and the replacement OE seat now fits well and locks fine.

Richard
Richard Marshall
Wales, U.K.
(some of them work too).
lavrentyuk

Return to 660 cc