My Skorpion Sport

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: My Skorpion Sport

Postby basser23 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:41 am

Just to chime in...on my Sport, I retained the Grimcrapa M/C and use a Brembo P34/30 caliper from a Mito..works great for my purposes...street riding only.
When the M/C wears out, I'll replace with 13mm Brembo..I'm sure my brother must have some laying around from his many Ducati....
Hey Tim, you may want to ask Donnie if he has some rebuildable spares....
basser23

Postby phoenix76rb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:30 am

Hi guys;

Just got caught up... I'm pretty sure I have a spare caliper from one of my race bikes in my storage unit. I think I'll have to buy the master cylinder because all my race bike parts are for dual-disk front brake systems, and I don't want the old "coffin"-style Brembo single-disk pump that came on the 1991-1998 Ducati 750SS and other air-cooled bikes, since it also only came with a non-adjustable lever.

However, this is (unfortunately) not the only thing on my plate[1], and since I got the rear brake set up properly and cleaned all the fork oil off the front brake system, I can live with the brakes until I have a chance to get to this - probably over the winter.

I do have a $100 credit at my *old* race shop and I think I'll just pop the front forks off the bike and take them there along with my fork seals, and let them take care of teh seal installation, since the teeny garage in my new house is NOT set up with a work bench or any kind of work area.

Tim

[1] In addition to preparing for a wedding in six weeks, I'm settling into a new house, and trying to piece together a spare Ducati 1000SS for sale.
--
Tim in Herndon, VA, USA
1995 MZ-660 Skorpion Sport
1975 Ducati 750GT round-case (basket case)
1967 Honda CL-90
2003 Ducati DS1000SS Ultra-lightweight Street Roadster
1999 Ducati 750SS Frankenstein with DS1000SS engine
2000 Harley FXDX
2007 Harley FLHXI
phoenix76rb

Postby sanddune51 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:43 pm

I finally found time this afternoon to investigate what I thought was extreme lean running. After spending what seemed like an eternity figuring out how to remove the petrol tank, I eventually had sight of the carbs. I fully intended to remove them cleaning and inspecting for a reason for my poor running.
Oh boy! After searching on the forum, I wasn't sure that I had to remove the airbox to get the carbs out ..... and that seemed to entail removing the seat subframe. This was all getting a lot more involved than I had anticipated.
I decided to have the top off the larger RH cv carb and soon found the explanation for my carb woes.
007.JPG

008.JPG

A centimetre long tear in the diaphragm is apparent in the 12 O'clock position.
More curious was the fact that what looked like a slim spiral wound circlip was hanging off the top of the slide. I could just manage to separate the white plastic retaining rings and remove the diaphragm.
Is this correct? Is the diaphragm meant to be removed from the slide?
Looking at the Keedo website shows a diaphragm with slide at 99 Euros :shock: Has anyone managed to find a cheaper way of repairing, what is, not a great carb in the first place. Can a diaphragm be obtained secondhand from a plentiful commuter bike?
If repairing the inferior standard carbs is going to start getting expensive, then I'd rather put the money towards the purchase of Mikuni TM's or Keihin CR's.

For now I have plundered the SZR of it's slide with diaphragm and will fit that tomorrow.

Mark.
sanddune51

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:42 pm

Stock carbs are good for 60hp and respond fairly well when tuned right. Unless you want to spend a lot of money on new flat slides, or spend another round of tuning trying to fix some other second hand carbs, I'd just spend the money for a new diaphragm and put he stock carb back together. You don't need to remove the airbox on the Skorpion to get the carbs out, just forcefully remove the connecting tubes between them.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Srinath » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:32 am

The air box dont have to come out form the carbs to be removed.
You loosen the boots and shove them into the air box to the first rib.

The slide out of an xt600 is about the same I think. The xt's are plentiful in the US.

Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

Postby sanddune51 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Thanks for the advice fellas.
I fitted the slide and good diaphragm today fro the SZR to the Skorp and although better at W.O.T. at higher rpm's, there is a huge stumble at the point of transition from primary to secondary carb.
The jury is still out for me. After experiencing the wonder of pumper slide carbs on my TRX850, I don't think I would ever be happy again with a CV carb.

Mark.
sanddune51

Postby zippy49 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:50 am

I had the same problem with my Traveller. The original carbs had sat for 8 years with fuel in them, petcock on.... :shock: They were full of scale, You'll have to replace them with better units or clean them completely. I also adjusted the crossover screw to open the secondary much sooner in the throttle travel. The last bit of stumble was due to a sticking choke plunger, it runs great now.
Tom in SoCal
zippy49

Previous

Return to 660 cc