valve clearances

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

valve clearances

Postby handsomejackuk » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:53 pm

Have recently checked my valve clearances on my baghira, and noted inlet valves were pretty tight, i.e. no clearance when cold and sat after 24 hours.. i have since readjusted inlet and exhaust valves to spec, and bike seem to have much more engine braking, and seems to pop more on the over run...

I am assuming becaust there was litle or no clearance on the valves, they were always nearly open and losing compression...

what is the effect of making the valve clearances looser i.e. more gap will this give more power ?

Is there a better way i.e. by degrees of crank rotation to set up valves ie at what degress of crank rotatation shoud they start to open / close...

any thoughts on this ?
I'm a schizophrenic so am I !!!!
handsomejackuk

Re: valve clearances

Postby breakwellmz » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:30 am

Hi

I`m surprised you didn`t have starting problems especially when hot with zero valve clearance.
Larger than specified clearances will mean more clatter and in extreme will result in less performance.
What mileage has your engine done?

Where`s the photo of your simple gear lever? :roll:
breakwellmz

Postby edfmaniac » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:56 am

Assuming you can find a timing sheet on the stock cam, you have to check proper cam timing with a device that can measure when the valve is open a specific distance and have the flywheel removed so you can attach a degree wheel to the crank. This is the only real accurate way to check cam timing.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby breakwellmz » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:47 pm

He`s only looking to find the optimum position to check clearances as i see it which is over a fair number of degrees.

This for example has a lot of constant radius opposite the`lumpy`bit where you are checking your clearance.
Attachments
big-warrior_camshaft.jpg
big-warrior_camshaft.jpg (21.17 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
breakwellmz

Postby handsomejackuk » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:17 pm

its done like 25000 miles i checked it ages ago, must have been like 6000 miles... i seem to remember that they were closed up then too, and i did have difficulty starting at that time...

i would have thought a bit too much clearance is better than closed up though.... and maybe the engine will get more compression with some slack in the valves...

i could make a simple degree wheeel, i have done that before with my scooter, and timed that up great...

i got some pics of my simple lever somewhere i just been looking i will post them up soon...
handsomejackuk

Postby zippy49 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:39 am

For simple valve adjustment, all you need to do is follow the manual. The tiny opening in the alternator cover does not make it easy, but there is a "T" mark that indicates where you should have the crank when checking and adjusting.
Tom in SoCal
zippy49

Postby handsomejackuk » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:55 pm

zippy49 wrote:For simple valve adjustment, all you need to do is follow the manual. The tiny opening in the alternator cover does not make it easy, but there is a "T" mark that indicates where you should have the crank when checking and adjusting.

grrr grrrr ok then... I just wanted to get technical and hard and make the job a bit more difficult....
handsomejackuk

Return to 660 cc