winter engine overhaul CYLINDER HEAD....

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

winter engine overhaul CYLINDER HEAD....

Postby handsomejackuk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:12 pm

Right then here goes...

thinking of the up and coming dark nights of winter, and what to do with the MZ baghira motor, its now done 26,000 miles approximately, and i would like to take off the cylinder head to check condition, and do some work on it..

My initial thoughts are cylinder head off check condition of vavles, and remove, and relap them myself, i have done head work on cars before so pretty familiar with what to do...

anyone advise on this or any other cheap work i could do to maybe improve performance while the head is off thoughts of maybe different cams, or maybe sending it off for soem work...to be doen my main concern is cost though... and dont want to be spending hundreds on it...

also when the head is off will check condition of piston and any other things that can be done at the same time...

soem advice please and costs, including recommended places to get some work done to the head in U.K.

thanks AL...
I'm a schizophrenic so am I !!!!
handsomejackuk

Re: winter engine overhaul CYLINDER HEAD....

Postby Srinath » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Do you have to pull the motor out of the frame to get it out in a boghira ?
On a skorp you have to, so a simple job like that turns into a whole hackathon and fab-a-thon ...
Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

Postby handsomejackuk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:42 pm

I dont really know... i hope not.... i hopes i can do it with the motor in frame.. i have limited room in my shed...!!!!

I hope someone will answer soon
handsomejackuk

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:47 pm

You can't do anything for less than a couple of hundred dollars. Not sure what your total budget is but you will spend at least $200 US on parts and fluids just to pull the head and put it right back on, much less trying to add a cam or having head work done anywhere other than in your own garage. If it doesn't smoke, do a compression check and valve adjustment and just keep driving it until you have about a thousand dollars. Then open her up for a Megacycle cam, modern valve job/porting and maybe a new piston ring set.

And my bet is you will have to pull the engine. The Skorpion can have the top end rebuilt without completely dropping it out of the frame but still requires some level of disassembly. It's easier to just pull it and get it up on a work stand or table top, at least for anyone with problems working low to the ground.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:54 pm

Whoops! Can't do a compression check without disabling the auto-decomp device on the cam sprocket.

Not sure how many 4-wheelers there are in GB but anyone who is competent at building Raptor 660 engines will be able to do all of the top end machine work on the Yamaha 660 3YF engines.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby breakwellmz » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:58 am

handsomejackuk wrote:Right then here goes...

thinking of the up and coming dark nights of winter, and what to do with the MZ baghira motor, its now done 26,000 miles approximately, and i would like to take off the cylinder head to check condition, and do some work on it..

My initial thoughts are cylinder head off check condition of vavles, and remove, and relap them myself, i have done head work on cars before so pretty familiar with what to do...

anyone advise on this or any other cheap work i could do to maybe improve performance while the head is off thoughts of maybe different cams, or maybe sending it off for soem work...to be doen my main concern is cost though... and dont want to be spending hundreds on it...

also when the head is off will check condition of piston and any other things that can be done at the same time...

soem advice please and costs, including recommended places to get some work done to the head in U.K.

thanks AL...

If it ain`t broke don`t fix it! :roll:
26 thousand miles is nothing for a modern engine, what are you expecting to find especially as you have no running problems i assume?
breakwellmz

Postby Srinath » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:54 am

You can do a leak down test just fine though ... LOL.
Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

Postby handsomejackuk » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:16 pm

ok then... i just leave it then....

what am i gonna do this winter then ?

dont really fancy stripping a 650 banidt motor, or a TRX850 either... i need to get a project
handsomejackuk

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:42 pm

install a pit bike motor in an old 2 smoker chassis
it may not go fast but at least it will be cheap on fuel
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby handsomejackuk » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:20 am

grrrrrr thanks David....

I just hope i can sell this bandit 650. I can get another project then for winter...
handsomejackuk

Return to 660 cc