Baghira feels underpowered

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Baghira feels underpowered

Postby arizonabay » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:07 am

Hi folks, new to the forum as I have just obtained a 03 Baghira with 10K miles on the clock. I was attracted to it as I had a XT660X in the past and really liked it - I am also a little over 6ft4in so the seat hight really suites me too.

I have been out on it a couple of times and it feels very underpowered though. Fully pinned it maxes out at about 80 mph (verified by sat nav app) and the front doesn't even lift in any gear. I remember my XT having loads more power as I actually when down a tooth in the back sprocket to keep the front wheel down in 1st and 2nd.

So, your advice please. Is there an obvious way to tell if the bike has a restricter kit fitted? If not that, what could be causing this serious lack of power? I wanted to check the obvious myself before I sent it into the garage.

BTW, I would ask the previous owner but he has left the country :roll:

Thanks folks
arizonabay

Re: Baghira feels underpowered

Postby phoenix76rb » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:44 am

Welcome to the group, and congrats on your purchase. Can't answer your question, but wish you the best of luck in figuring it out!
--
Tim in Herndon, VA, USA
1995 MZ-660 Skorpion Sport
1975 Ducati 750GT round-case (basket case)
1967 Honda CL-90
2003 Ducati DS1000SS Ultra-lightweight Street Roadster
1999 Ducati 750SS Frankenstein with DS1000SS engine
2000 Harley FXDX
2007 Harley FLHXI
phoenix76rb

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:27 am

that's what you do when you sell one that's running weak or falling apart.... :smt040

check to see that second carb is kicking in when it should and that the rubber bladder in the cv side is in good shape

also get a good load of gas in it.. if it set for a while

in stock form some of these bikes were geared on the tall side making them run fast on top end
but take forever to get to top speed....

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby jaywillie2912 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:22 pm

Just replaced my stolen Baghira.

I had the same feelings as u toward my first bike......but this bike is geared differently(higher). Feels like a totally different bike. The current gearing appears to have successfully hit the correct power curve. I am now very happy with my new bike. Also have an after market exhaust (same as original bike).

Hope this helps.

Jaywillie
jaywillie2912

Postby breakwellmz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:23 pm

arizonabay wrote:Hi folks, new to the forum as I have just obtained a 03 Baghira with 10K miles on the clock. I was attracted to it as I had a XT660X in the past and really liked it - I am also a little over 6ft4in so the seat hight really suites me too.

I have been out on it a couple of times and it feels very underpowered though. Fully pinned it maxes out at about 80 mph (verified by sat nav app) and the front doesn't even lift in any gear. I remember my XT having loads more power as I actually when down a tooth in the back sprocket to keep the front wheel down in 1st and 2nd.

So, your advice please. Is there an obvious way to tell if the bike has a restricter kit fitted? If not that, what could be causing this serious lack of power? I wanted to check the obvious myself before I sent it into the garage.

Thanks folks

Have you put on any weight since you owned the Yamaha? :wink:
breakwellmz

Postby jaywillie2912 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:57 pm

jaywillie2912 wrote:Just replaced my stolen Baghira.

I had the same feelings as u toward my first bike......but this bike is geared differently(higher). Feels like a totally different bike. The current gearing appears to have successfully hit the correct power curve. I am now very happy with my new bike. Also have an after market exhaust (same as original bike).

Hope this helps.

Jaywillie

checked my gearing today------15/43

top-end ------ cruises at 80mph vs 70mph

since no tach ------ higher speed in each gear.

found some articles recommending the above gearing.

good luck,

Jaywillie
jaywillie2912

Return to 660 cc