where to find the correct alternator cover gasket?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

where to find the correct alternator cover gasket?

Postby keruxer » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Hi Guys;
I'm rebuilding my 660 traveler motor because of a loose timing chain. Got her all taken down and now beginning to assemble. I ordered what I thought was the correct gasket set and the head gasket and the cylinder gasket seem to be correct, as does the o ring at the base of the cylinder sleeve. The generator cover gasket is not correct...not far off but not correct. Can anyone tell me where to order the correct alternator cover gasket for a 2001 skorpion? I also need the valve cover gasket...nothing in the kit for that. I'm sure that I ordered a gasket set for a Raptor thinking it was the same. Also, does anyone know where I can get a workshop manual for the Skorpion? Thank you very much for the help.

Joe Everly
keruxer

Re: where to find the correct alternator cover gasket?

Postby Srinath » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:00 pm

You can slap it down on a beer carton or a piece of gasket paper available at autoparts stores and cut yourself one. Just make sure the oil passages (I dont remember if it has any) are properly punched/cut.
And if you use a beer carton - and there is no real reason you shouldn't - make sure you sand off the print with 1000 grit sand paper, or it may weep a little.
I've not bothered on ocassion and I barely ever get a leak.
This bike has so little oil behind the thing its probably going to be OK without a gasket at a all
Cool.
Srinath.
Srinath

Postby keruxer » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:26 pm

great idea. And I just realized that the valve cover doesn't take a gasket at all, just the old yamaha smutz...

ty
keruxer

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:25 pm

You have to use a gasket or grind off a small area of the cover outside the gasket area that is designed to sit flush with the engine case. If you don't grind off that area and use Ultrablack or some other gasket maker instead of a gasket, it may leak because the raised area will bottom out on the engine case before the gasket surface does. I believe the '94 XT600 engine case is the same as ours and this is the part number, 4DW-15451-00-00.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby keruxer » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:09 am

Thank you for the part number. I really want to use a gasket and I'm not having much luck trying to make my own...its quite a fragile piece of material.

Joe
keruxer

Return to 660 cc