These as a a day to day bike?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

These as a a day to day bike?

Postby mattsccm » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:34 am

How do these bikes work as a day to day tool?
I am used to Rotax CCMs so I don't expect a lot! What about spares etc.
Anything to look out for especially?
I think a Skorpion might be the best bet purely as I want something low.
Fuel consumption?
cheers
mattsccm

Re: These as a a day to day bike?

Postby billr » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:50 am

mattsccm wrote: How do these bikes work as a day to day tool?
I am used to Rotax CCMs so I don't expect a lot! What about spares etc.
Anything to look out for especially?

I've owned 2 Skorpions (a Tour and now a Traveller) and used both for a daily commuter (25 mile round trip) since '09.
I also go on long day rides a few times a year. Great bike for that.
Performance is great for what the bike is. With sticky tires, these things are boat loads of fun.
I've had few issues with mine. There's a few diodes in the wiring that can go bad (search threads on here). Report about the ignition lock loosening (mine was tight, though I give the screws a touch every so often.) Others I have not experienced.

Spare parts: It's a Yamaha engine, so those can be easily sourced from a dealer (just don't mention "MZ" at the counter...it just confuses 'em). Control levers are hard to find in the USA. I haven't needed anything else in 34k miles (and hope it's not soon, that I do...)
Grahams in the UK continues to stock parts.

mattsccm wrote:I think a Skorpion might be the best bet purely as I want something low.
Fuel consumption?
cheers

Low: I'm 6 ft tall, 33 in inseam and can easily put both feet on the ground and raise my rear off the seat at a stop.
On my commute, I consistently see 45-47 mpg (mostly 35-45 mph). I tend to accelerate quickly away from stops to get clear of traffic... :D
On 2-lane country roads running 50-60 mph, I get upwards of 58 mpg. 4-lane hi-way speeds (75-80) drops it down into low 40's
Your mileage may vary... :lol:

Change the oil and filter, check the valves every 6k twice (then as you see fit...my opinion, as mine haven't changed in 3 checks, so I'm extending the miles), Don't "monkey" with it too much and it should perform well for quite a while.

The only con I have is the riding position. As I get older (and we all will...), my knees are not liking the foot peg height on long rides. Tolerable if I stop and take a longer break when I fuel up.
Bill R

PS: Lengthy. Can ya' tell I like these things? :wink:
B
billr

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:14 am

I like the rotax powered saxon tour best .

My rt125 does great but is a bit small for long commuter use .

My traveller is a bit of a gas hog

Bmw r60 from mid 1970's is an excelent daily driver

Dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby zippy49 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:45 am

Since these bikes have carburetors they need to be used regularly. So I would think that one would make an excellent daily driver, rather than an occasional toy. I've done just that with mine, I've loaned it to my grandnephew while he looks for work. I have a hoard of spares, so keeping it running is not difficult. You seem to be in the UK, so you have Graham's. The engine is stone-ax reliable, and the running gear is not that hard to replace with similar parts. And if my GN drops it, it will become a track bike!
Tom in SoCal
zippy49

Postby Linegeist » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:55 pm

The only problem I've encountered is with the soviet-era wiring - which was mostly cheap, green and corroded on my Tour and which happily snapped at the steering head on 3 occasions under the stresses of steering flexion. I just ripped the whole crappy shebang out, and rewired from scratch. Since then, not a glitch.

Apart from that, these bikes are utterly reliable in my experience.
Linegeist

Return to 660 cc