Skorpion wins AHRMA 2014 SOS2 Championship

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Skorpion wins AHRMA 2014 SOS2 Championship

Postby Kcfirebolt » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:04 am

Thank you to Tim Barker and Gordon Hamilton for your help through the last couple of seasons.

I got beat by a girl (on a Roland Sands 450 Yamaha) at Barber and Daytona, but gathered enough points through the year to take the Championship!

The Ol' Battle Tank did well.

For 2015, I need to put both the bike and myself on a pretty intense diet. Between the two, I am pretty sure I'm giving up 200lbs to the folks on the 450s. Skorpions have to run in Supersport spec, so I can't chop the frame or change wheels, forks, gas tank, etc.. I can change the subframe. Any one have a line on an aluminum subframe? Any other tips or ideas? Debating on keeping Supersport spec or jumping to SOS1.

Best wishes,

Charles
Kcfirebolt

Re: Skorpion wins AHRMA 2014 SOS2 Championship

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:03 am

You can lose quite a bit of weight by building an aluminum sub frame. If you have any fab skills whatsoever, you can make the parts and then have them welded up at a local shop. It took me a few tries to find a good aluminum welder so some of my frame doesn't look that slick, but it is strong and weighs almost nothing. My Skorpion tips the scales at 310 dry with stock wheels and a steel tank from an RG125 and has around 65hp at the wheel. I'd love to see someone that was half of my 300lbs put it through it's paces on a track when it's completely finished. Right now it has stalled in the functioning prototype phase, waiting on funds for a new rear shock so I can sort out the final location for all of the sub frame components.

Do you have a source for a rear shock that will drop in or do I need to make my suspension guys pockets even deeper by having him build a Penske for me.

Congratulations!!!

Any videos?
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Kcfirebolt » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:21 am

Thanks for the thoughts re. rear subframe.

Don't know re. rear shock. I'm still running stock suspension. Planning to refresh all of the bouncy bits this winter.
Kcfirebolt

Postby basser23 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:51 am

Congrats on the win! As far as subframes I think droy had one....and according to the absent bill jurgenson I think he mentions a Yam FZ750 shock fits with minor alteration
basser23

Postby GordonH » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Congrats Charles. Did the trustees decide to keep our class for next year? Might save me some money as I was toying with getting a lighter subframe built and getting (finally) some lighter wheels to be a little more competitive in SoS1. Or should I work at going through the SR500 and race that instead. Maybe I should just race them both. I'm not getting any younger you know. See you soon at the Soggy Bottom. It's on my list of things to do before Christmas.

Gordon
GordonH

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:06 pm

basser23 wrote: according to the absent bill jurgenson I think he mentions a Yam FZ750 shock fits with minor alteration

I remembered that one although I thought it was the FZR600. Maybe they are the same shock as the 750 but the entire swing arm and link on our MZ's is from the 1990 FZR600. My suspension guy has deals with certain manufacturers so that he can maximize his profit and he said that he didn't want to bother with building something that "might" work. The proper way is to check all of the specs on the stock shock and then build one from his inventory of parts. He isn't hurting for business, and is really talented, so I'm going to listen to him until I can have a one on one conversation with someone who races Skorpions and knows for certain what will work.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby basser23 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:57 pm

ah ha good point! If ya figure it out let us know....I'd be interested in having one built too.
basser23

Return to 660 cc