Help with Skorpion forks please

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Help with Skorpion forks please

Postby Andy_C » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:39 pm

I recently acquired a Skorpion Sport cup and one of the jobs I need to do is replace the fork seals.

I have taken the bolts out of the bottom of the fork legs, taken the springs and spacers out but how do I get the fork legs off the stanchions, if I try and pull them off there is a huge amount of resistance, and if I try using the fork leg as a sliding hammer on the stanchion nothing moves.

Is there something down in the depths of the fork stanchion that needs to be removed ?

I have been told just to persist in using the fork leg like a slide hammer as it will eventually come off the stanchion but I am reluctant to do that - it just doesnt seem right.

Any thoughts / guidance ?

Cheers.
Andy_C

Re: Help with Skorpion forks please

Postby GordonH » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:41 pm

I assume you've removed the dust caps from the forks. Having done so, you will see a circlip which has to be removed. I can't remember if there is a steel donut washer that sits between the circlip and the seal or not, but if so take that out also and continue with the slide hammer motion. Don't baby it when you side hammer it, but be careful it doesn't fly apart in your hands. I'll admit it is a little disconcerting the first time you do it, but it will work.

Gordon
GordonH

Postby Andy_C » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:10 pm

Gordon.

Many thanks for your reply - yep I have removed the dust cap & circlip.

Now I know that I can use force with confidence that it will come apart - eventually.

Any tips on re assembly - do I need any special tools or anything ?
Andy_C

Postby GordonH » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:40 pm

Fork seal driver will help. I've use other methods, but next time I'll use the proper tool. It'll make it a lot easier. I'm assuming by your location that you're in the UK. If all goes well I'll be over there for a visit next year in May.

Gordon
GordonH

Postby Andy_C » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:59 am

Gordon.

Got the legs off took about half a dozen decent slides of the leg and off they came.

Think I can improvise a driver tool, dosent look too difficult.

Yep - am in Somerset in the UK, hope you enjoy it over here when you visit.

If you visit Somerset and you enjoy a drink, try some of the genuine Somerset cider. Once drunk never forgotten!!

Many thanks.
Andy_C

Re: Help with Skorpion forks please -ALL DONE

Postby Andy_C » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:01 pm

All sorted, replacement seals fitted with no probs made up my own seal refitting tool !
Andy_C

Postby doppelganger » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:20 am

I made a very effective seal driver from a 100mm length of waterpipe with a 3mm wall thickness. :o
doppelganger

Return to 660 cc