Sport wiring & other rebuild story

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Sport wiring & other rebuild story

Postby AndyDent » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:56 am

Ettique question - should I
A) Post a thread over in the mechanics forum
B) Continue on this thread
C) Host my own pages and just link here?

My Sport nearly went up in flames on the weekend so now faces at least a full wiring replacement but also quite a bit of other work as it hasn't run for (gasp) nearly two years. I've already been told to clean out the probably jellified fuel from the tank and carbie.

I will be doing this over several weeks and need to document in excruciating detail for my own fading memory (over 50 and working 60-80 hours a week on software means no functional memory left for which bits came from what part of the bike).

So, if I am taking dozens of pics and notes, where do I put them?
AndyDent

Re: Sport wiring & other rebuild story

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:08 am

I think this is probably the place you want to post stuff.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Linegeist » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:57 am

Absolutely!! bring it on .................... :smt006 :D
Linegeist

Postby AndyDent » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:12 pm

OK, starting from the outside.

The bike didn't have much distance on it when I bought it, a few thousand km from memory, but had obviously been stored out with a lot of sun and I know the owner lived in a coastal town. So there was a fair amount of corrosion and sun damage when I got it.

The transparent part of the fairing has major crazing:

MZFairingSunCracks.JPG
Fairing showing sun cracks in the perspex

MZFairingSunCracksInside.JPG

The fairing also suffered at my hands. I had a clutch cable snap and when carting the bike home, the guy driving hit a kerb and swerved violently. The tie-downs parted and the bike did a nasty cartwheel in the back of the ute (for a heart-stopping moment I thought it had gone clean over the side and dropped over a meter onto the road!). As a result, it looks like I dropped it at speed and one day I need to repaint the fairing.

Speaking of the clutch cable snapping - this has happened twice. I think there's a problem with it being caught on full steering lock and being pinched so pulling the lever snapped it near the top.
Attachments
MZFairingPaintLostThroughTumble.JPG
Fairing showing the damage from bike falling whilst being transported.
AndyDent

Postby AndyDent » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:35 pm

Sad tail-light. A lot of silastic had been used to hold it in place. When we moved to our new, temporary house, instead of being in a nice garage, the Skorp was outside under a bike cover....

in full Western Australian sun...
MZDroopingTailLight.JPG
Taillight drooping from big block of silicon

The headlights are fine but one of two small foam pieces providing a buffer to the fairing came off with the fairing. Not sure if I should replace the foam or use a bit of double-sided tape to put it back when the fairing eventually goes back on.

If you click to see the full-sized picture you can see all the rust on the grey frame that supports the fairing. This is all original rust from the previously-mentioned coastal location of the guy before me.

MZHeadlightFoamUpperRimFallingOff.JPG
Headlight with one foam trim bit missing from upper rim
AndyDent

Postby basser23 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:30 am

Replace the foam on the fairing. Craft stores have foam sheets,you may have to laminate to desired thickness. The tail light shud be replaced as well. I use a Lucas style from Emgo ....it is metal framed and works a treat..some spacers needed though...I used nylon bushings.....Have fun
basser23

Postby tigcraft » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:45 pm

I think there as a company on eBay in the uk recently selling replacement screens but can't remember what it was called. They did a screen for the Skorpion as I remember because they spelt Skorpion wrong so I sent them an email to correct the mistake and the acknowledged it.
ETZ250, ts150, ts250, Other toys.....Trx850...Bonneville SE...Bmw f800gt bmw Rockster ...X7...GSX250KATANA ...TL1000
tigcraft

Postby netguz » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:15 pm

netguz

Return to 660 cc