95 MZ Skorpion Sport project

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

95 MZ Skorpion Sport project

Postby miteybites » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:06 pm

New to the forum here. I had never actually heard of MZ before 2 days ago when a buddy of mine at work asked me if I wanted an MZ Skorpion for $100. I love German vehicles and I love odd/rare stuff so it was a definate yes. A little history on the bike: he got it from an old roommate who brought the bike over from Switzerland. He aquired it about 8 years ago from him and it has been sitting outside that entire time, only having been started once 4 years ago.
The plan is to first get her running and road worthy. Then I will be turning it into a road legal track bike using the Moto Forza fairing kit. I would also like to do an inverted fork swap if anybody has any info on that.

And what I'm hoping to turn it in to
miteybites

Re: 95 MZ Skorpion Sport project

Postby miteybites » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:32 pm

Got the subframe and carbs pulled. Subframe is gonna get sand blasted and painted for now. I will probably end up making a new one for the new tail fairing. I also drained the oil and cranked the motor by hand. The oil was dirty, but no metal flakes. And the engine rotates freely and has good compression.

miteybites

Postby edfmaniac » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:50 pm

How did you check compression? Bike looks like it sat outside near the ocean for a long time but that shouldn't be a problem if you are going through everything(wiring harness, ALL bearings in the wheels/suspension/steering stem).
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby miteybites » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:54 pm

I just felt the compression when turning it over with a rachet. I'll get actual compression numbers once I throw a battery in it. And you are correct. The bike sat outside in pacific beach in San diego. The subframe has no paint left on it, which is odd because the frame is pretty clean. Must be lower quality paint used on the subframe.
miteybites

Postby miteybites » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Started tearing into the carbs. Tried removing the needle jet holder and the top snapped off. Then came out the easy outs and pb blaster. Then added some heat. The thing would not budge. Broke my easy out, my tap handle and cracked the body of the carb. I'd say it's pretty well stuck. So looks like I'll be sound a 41mm single carb conversion.
If anybody needs these carbs for parts let me know.

miteybites

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:21 am

This bike has a decomp system so you don't get any compression at all until the engine gets above a certain RPM. You were likely just feeling the valve springs being compressed.

Sorry to hear about your jet issue. Good luck with the single carb mod. Intake manifolds are hard to come by unless you are making your own.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby billr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:03 pm

miteybites wrote: So looks like I'll be sound a 41mm single carb conversion.

Check this thread Single Carb conversion.
Don't need a manifold.
Might be feasible?? Interesting, anyway. I'd try it if my stockers go south.
Bill R
billr

Postby samandkimberly » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:35 pm

fWIW, I've got a clean set of stock carbs with a Tunebike kit iintalled and set up; perfect for a stock or mildly tuned engine...

100 bucks?

Sam
samandkimberly

Postby miteybites » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:09 am

Actually I already bought a rhino 660 carb for $48 and a grizzly manifold for $18 on eBay. I'm not sure if I'm going to machine and weld on a new flange or try to make an adaptor plate. I'm a machinist and I have several machines at my disposal during off hours. I also plan on doing some custom billet adjustable rearsets. Might also do a billtet tripple tree just for fun, depending on how the fork swap goes. I've been trying to find inverted forks that are the same length or very close so I don't change the suspension geometry.
I measured the stock forks at 29.5" which would be 749mm.
What I've found so far:
06-07 gsxr600,750 738mm
Zx636 750mm
06-07 zx10r 743mm
miteybites

Postby miteybites » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:27 am

Picked up a used set of raptor 700 crank gears on eBay for $5.99 shipped. Can't beat that. Anybody know if the raptor 660 side cover gasket is the same as the MZ?

miteybites

Return to 660 cc