what cam?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

what cam?

Postby Deano » Fri May 08, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi all.
I've got a 660 baghira with a gpr exhaust and raptor carbs.
I'm looking at fiting a cp 11.1 piston having the head flowed and fitting a hotter cam..
Im a bit unsure as to what cam to fit? Do raptor cams work on the baggy..
As they rev a bit higher than the baggy. I'm sure all this has been covered somewhere on here but I cant seem to find out using the search box.
Cheers,
Deano.
Deano

Re: what cam?

Postby edfmaniac » Sat May 09, 2015 12:48 am

They are a bit pricey, and their business model is pre-computer, but Megacycle is the cam you want. My engine is set up similar to yours and hit the 60hp mark on sloppy, stock carbs before the Mikuni's got installed: head ported, surfaced and rebuilt with +1mm valves(valves not really necessary) and HD valve springs, 11:1 piston, flat slide carbs, high performance header and pipe. It's also bored to 102mm(again, not necessary). I chose the X4 profile, which is probably the hottest cam you want if you are riding on the street, but the X2 is supposed to be quite a big improvement over the stock cam as well and doesn't require the HD valve springs. You'll also want to get a programmable ignition and fix a few things in the motor if you plan on spending any amount of time enjoying the new top end power you'll have. The decomp mechanism is sketchy when run for long periods at high rpm, as is the balance shaft drive gear.

You'll have to send your cam to them for welding and grinding so be prepared for a little extra down time if you ride the bike regularly and make sure the cam bearing surfaces are good when you pull it out. They will only polish them with the standard pricing.

This thread may help you. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6533
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Deano » Sat May 09, 2015 7:35 am

Thanks for the help...
With regards to the programmable ignition have you any recommendations
as to which is the one to go for and base line settings for the timing.
I'll most likely go for the x2 cam
It'll not be getting held for too long at high rpm.. most of the roads I go on are tight twisty back roads. ..
Deano

Postby edfmaniac » Sat May 09, 2015 11:32 pm

The Ignitech TCIP4 is the only one that I know of that definitely works with our bike. There are profile suggestions buried within the database here. Do yourself a favor and go to Bill J's posts in his user profile page and just read through his posts or do searches from that page. search.php?author_id=1418&sr=posts

http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/tcip/tcip.htm
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Deano » Sun May 10, 2015 1:02 am

Will do..
Cheers.
Deano

Return to 660 cc