Skorpion Sport tyres

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Skorpion Sport tyres

Postby lavrentyuk » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:05 am

I am currently running radials on front and rear. The rear tyre has now come to the end of it's useful life and I am considering the pro's and con's of replacing the rear radial with another or alternatively of replacing both with crossply.

On checking the usual tyre suppliers the recommended fitments for the Sport model seem way over specced as a sports radial for what is the same bike to all intents as the Tour.

I have had good experiences on numerous bikes of more power and greater weight with the Bridgestone BT45 range, which are recommended for the Tour but not the Sport.

I am assuming that the wheels are as identical as they look between the two models.

Any suggestions as to which to opt for ? Radial or Crossply ? Any suggestions as to why the differing spec for each model IF they are the same in wheel sizes ?

Regards,

Richard
Richard Marshall
Wales, U.K.
MuZ Skorpion Tour, ETZ 300 or two (one with a sidecar - really insane mode of transport), a couple of TS125s, ETZ 125, BMW R100S and an Enfield Interceptor for daily use.
(some of them work too).
lavrentyuk

Re: Skorpion Sport tyres

Postby edfmaniac » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:31 am

Stick with the BT45. Sport or tour makes no difference. If you want to drag some knees on a regular basis, move to the track oriented Battlax. I think it is the BT016 series.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby MZ in Oz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:27 am

I've been using Conti Sport Attack 2's on both my Skorps. The Sport had H rated tyres on when I picked it up from the original owner, completely hopeless tyre, Z rated radial is by far a better choice. Have tried most combinations in 200,000 + klms, always preferred the Conti's as they give a good balance, longivity and adhesion ,wet and dry. Also don't be cheap and replace front and rear at same time, your just compromising handling with a worn front and new rear.
MZ in Oz

Postby samandkimberly » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:14 am

Generally, most high end sport tires are z rated, but the speed rating is not always a good indicator of performance. To achieve high speeds tire manufacturers may have to build the tire heavier, or use stiffer compounds to pass the speed test, which involves running the tire at high RPM against a steel roller loaded at the wheels maximum load rating. H, and V rated tires can be lighter and use softer compounds - these may be more appropriate, and in fact better performing than tires made for modern, heavy, high HP bikes.

That said, I'm a few years out of date on the tire scene so I can't help with tire choice, other than to suggest avoiding big tires and looking at weight. I'm a fan of Metzler/Pirelli myself, but I also like Conti and Bridgestone too.
samandkimberly

Postby lavrentyuk » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:19 pm

Pretty much my thinking.

I have had great success with Metzeler on an old BMW, but found the Bridgestone BT crossplies excellent on a Ducati 650.

I am not a fan of fat tyres, especially in rain where their greater footprint causes a lighter ground pressure. I live in Wales. It rains a lot.
Richard Marshall
Wales, U.K.
MuZ Skorpion Tour, ETZ 300 or two (one with a sidecar - really insane mode of transport), a couple of TS125s, ETZ 125, BMW R100S and an Enfield Interceptor for daily use.
(some of them work too).
lavrentyuk

Postby phoenix76rb » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:14 am

I've done track days on an Kawasaki EX500 with street compound BT45's with no issues whatever. When I wear out the tires on my Skorpion Sport, I'll be goign with BT45's.
--
Tim in Herndon, VA, USA
1995 MZ-660 Skorpion Sport
1975 Ducati 750GT round-case (basket case)
1967 Honda CL-90
2003 Ducati DS1000SS Ultra-lightweight Street Roadster
1999 Ducati 750SS Frankenstein with DS1000SS engine
2000 Harley FXDX
2007 Harley FLHXI
phoenix76rb

Return to 660 cc