Making my ugly bike a sexy bike. Need help! (Baggy)

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Making my ugly bike a sexy bike. Need help! (Baggy)

Postby WAPanther » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:39 pm

So I picked up my 01 Black Panther Baghira a couple months ago in a trade. It's an awesome bike, I've had more fun on this thing than any of my other bikes. But it's goddamn ugly, and not just Baghira ugly. I need to change that, and I've got a few ideas in mind that I was hoping to get some input on. I'm using this guy as an inspiration and will likely use it as reference in this post: http://i.imgur.com/vVmR5VI.jpg Thanks!

This is what it looked like a couple days ago before I tore it apart.
image_3.jpeg
image_4.jpeg

Here's what it looks like today with a new front fender and the stark realization that it's gonna take some doing to make this a sexy bike.
photo.JPG

So here's what I've got:
-47t rear sprocket and sexy gold chain
-Any standard owner maintenance you can think of has been done in the past month. Rejetted for altitude
-Carbon exhaust, rear sintered pads, tons of electronic extras (trail tech, foglights, etc), fork and swingarm sliders
And some other stuff I'm forgetting. It's got potential...

Here are the big ideas:

Forks:
SKF Forks Seals, heavier oil, poly fork boots.
In that photo I linked at the top of the thread, notice the Marzocchi fork leg decal wrap. I'm on a quest to find that decal, if anybody knows of it or anything similar I'd love to hear about it. Painting the leg and slapping a sticker on during the rebuild is always a possibility too but a lot more work than an easy decal wrap.

Fairings/Paint:
On the same photo I linked, check out how he cut the front fairing and removed that bracing bar. Definitely going to do that as a simple weight reduction. Speaking of weight reduction, I'll likely cut the subframe as far back as I can without interfering with the taillight and relocate the plate to deep behind the rear wheel :D

The tail and rear fairings are a grey zone for me. In that photo he's got it nailed but there's no way in hell I'll be able to replicate that with my tools, materials, and experience. Does anyone have any good examples of tidying up the tail end on MZ 660's?

I'll likely copy that guy's paint scheme with matching the swingarm, oil filter cover, and front fairing's colors. Probably the shock spring too. I don't know if I'm gonna go white or red.

Headlight:
I am so lost when it comes to the headlight. In these two photos, the headlight seems more compact and streamlined which is what I would prefer. Maybe it's a later model? http://imgur.com/a/tB9QG
In the second photo if anyone know's anything about that skidplate or the radiator guards I'd appreciate the info.

Misc:
Where the hell is the idle adjustment screw? I'm idling at like 990rpm, it sucks. I really don't want to tear apart the worst carb in the existence of man, again.

Those MSR mudguards do not mesh well with the new fender. Ditching those for acerbis or nothing at all, we'll see.

There used to be a guard on the pipes (seen in the picture below), I want to find something to fill that empty space. Suggestions?

There's an air intake on the right carb. Check out this bling, it probably isn't worth the money: http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/548/airfilter.jpg

And I think that's it. This will probably be my build thread (if this is the right place to post it?) and it's a good way to get my thoughts on paper. Any help is appreciated and I'll try and return to comment on this thread when I can. Thanks again!
WAPanther

Re: Making my ugly bike a sexy bike. Need help! (Baggy)

Postby den » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:23 am

your inspirational photo,you can make a bike look like anything you want but remember,,these bikes are heavy,,you cant throw them around like a ktm350, You wanna be a "superretard" (youtube reference there) you can make it look like one but then youll be let down.
but hay,,i look forward to your posts and photos
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Postby WAPanther » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:09 pm

Oh don't worry I'm well aware of this bike's limits. I beat the living shit out of mine so a superretard looks fits quite nicely :). I'm actually focusing mostly on bodywork because I want to be able to flip this bike on a whim (might leave the country for work on short notice).

Found and ordered: Radiator guards and all fork parts
Black radiator guards part #: 58035134000 and 58035034000

Anyone have input on the idle adjustment screw? My bike is not making nice noises at 960rpm :(
WAPanther

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:30 pm

yup thats way to slow
yamaha book for szr same engine says
1250-1350 U/MIN
carbadj660
dave

be careful where you choose to go for work
but then some peoples home towns are not to safe any more
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby billr » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:54 pm

WAPanther wrote: Anyone have input on the idle adjustment screw? My bike is not making nice noises at 960rpm :(

Search function seems to be wonky...brings up all the old stuff from 2006...nothing new shows??
Here's a pic from my carb off my Traveller.
Big knurled screw underneath the cable link is the idle speed adjust.

Now here's the "fun" part... ;-)
close the pilot screw all the way in (that's underneath the left side opening, next to the float bowl), open back out 5 turns (that seems to be the "magic" number for most set-ups...YMMV)
Adjust the idle to what Dave said...
then adjust the pilot screw to a tolerable amount of "Boom,Boom, Bop, POW!" on the over-run... :lol:
Burned and barked knuckles later, you'll thank yourself for a job well done....

I do enjoy riding these things, though. Everytime I get the itch for a new bike, I just go for a ride on the Skorp...goes right away... :smt007
Bill R
billr

Postby WAPanther » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:16 pm

You guys are awesome. Yeah I searched and searched, it's weird no threads popped up. Anyways thanks! Will do tomorrow before my ride.
WAPanther

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:15 am

if your doing at least the speed limit ... it will be going fast enough they will not be able to see
how ugly it is

got a fellow on my street goes by so fast i can't tell what he rides..

wish he would put a muffler on it ....so i can take my naps in a proper manner
LOUD is not the word to describe this thing
dave
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby billr » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:52 am

DAVID THOMPSON wrote: got a fellow on my street goes by so fast i can't tell what he rides..
dave

Reminds me of a "Cycle" magazine article in 1984. The Yamaha RZ350 had just come out and they did the usual ride test.
One section by the test rider:
"I did a GP style take off from a light when it went green. I was in a 35mph zone at the time, so didn't go to far. Got pulled over by a police officer." "What's the problem officer, I didn't go over 35."
Officer: "Yep, but you got there REAL fast..."...something called "exhibition of speed"??... :lol:
Bill
billr

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:54 pm

sounds like my 1966 ym1 305cc topped out at 80 but it was real sudden getting there
dave
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Postby WAPanther » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:05 pm

Welp I ran into a problem. http://gfycat.com/FarawayIndelibleCarp

It appears I blew the "output shaft seal", whatever's right underneath the front sprocket. I have a -1t FS from the previous owner so it's not too surprising.

Just gotta decipher the bikebandit diagrams and I should be good-2-go. We've got an XTZ660 engine, right?

Edit: Solved. Yes we do have an XTZ660 engine. Now back to the good stuff :D probably gonna cut and paint the fairings this week
WAPanther

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:44 pm

less than stock front sprocket is a good way to break something check the bearing behind the seal

and doing lots of wheelies is fun till the bike gets tired and lies down on TOP of you

dave
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Return to 660 cc