Question on Carburetor - may have some water in the bowl

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Question on Carburetor - may have some water in the bowl

Postby Nozz » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:57 am

Hello again,

Since getting the tour back on the road, I have had two different times that is just bogged down and would not run/start. The first time, it just seemed to magically be ready to run after sitting a while, but it just left me stranded again. It will fire up with choke on, but not rev up and go. It seems likely that some moisture has made its way into the fuel system, so I just wanted to ask if there is a simple way to get at the bowl to empty it and start fresh, or if there is another problem I should be exploring. It's completely stock Thanks!
Nozz

Re: Question on Carburetor - may have some water in the bowl

Postby Chuck in Indiana » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:16 pm

Shirley :D you've looked? There's a drain on the bottom of the bowls. That said, if there's water in the bowls it's because there is water in the tank. It'll need to be drained, too.. if so.
Chuck in Indiana

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:35 pm

I live in Austin and can help if you don't get it figured out. I even have a set of carbs that you can throw on to see if that's the problem. Just give me $100 if you want to keep them. :wink: They have been clocked at 60hp with my modified engine but the jetting should still be close for a stock bike if everything else is working properly. They also have the modifications done to the right side carb to improve throttle response in the diaphragm, as well as the choke plunger mod/cable deletion.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:50 pm

this helps
with mine

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

some where theirs lots of boats
and a framers store may stock it or a boat dock at the lake

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Nozz » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:27 am

Goodness, none within 100 miles of Austin. The HEET product sure did the trick for me. I ran it around a bit, turned off the fuel until it stopped, twice, then turned it on again and killed the bike. Came back this morning, started right up. I sent a note to Grahams about a couple of parts, including the gas cap gasket. Are they still open over there??
Nozz

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:53 pm

i am still looking in my parts bin 2 bags of goodies are missing in the mess
some where i hope
when you get it cleaned out put a big fuel filter on it
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Nozz » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:31 pm

I think I finally have it sorted out. New spark plug, drained the carbs using the big brass bold on the right side, then drained the tank, full of nastiness at the bottom. added a pint or so of fresh fuel, sloshed it around, drained it, then filled it up with fresh gas, a little more HEET, and a dash of 2 stroke oil. Of course, my back brakes started grinding while I have been fighting the bad gas, so I was able to locate some replacement pads at Cycle Gear and, voila, she starts, goes, and stops. Life is good in the ATX I think I will try to stick some 3/8" backer rod in the fuel filler cavity in lieu of my missing gasket...
Nozz

Return to 660 cc