Not charging again!

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Not charging again!

Postby Gobsheen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:44 am

I've had charging problems in the past.......http://www.mzriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7577.....and they're back! The bike has been running great ever since and I've been using it more than ever. I had done about 100 miles yesterday and the first thing I noticed was the rev counter needle dropping to zero and jumping back up after a while but the engine hadn't stopped. I got a petrol station, just. There was pretty much nothing left. When I turned the key, the neutral light flicked on and off repeatedly......not sure if that's a clue?
The recovery truck came. Battery had 10v, I think. He jump started it. Revving was causing the volts to drop rather than increase. Everything else seemed fine for the minute it was running. When I got home, I put the battery on charge. Last night, I tried to start it and just got the click of death. Similar clicks when I pressed the horn button. The battery has been on charge all night & I'll try it again later but not expecting much. Battery might be knackered but that's an easy thing to sort out.
I never worked out how to check the stator last time as was suggested. Honestly, because I've no idea where to find the connector! Can someone point me in the right direction please, in very simple language?! I'm also open to any thoughts about my latest breakdown.......does anything above point to anything specific?

Thanks.
Gobsheen

MZ Mastiff
Gobsheen

Re: Not charging again!

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:17 am

relay 30 on 660 bikes relay 19 on 125 4 stroke's (see wiring drawings)

it supply's power to the whole bike when key is on the oem relay is to small

and bad relay can cause problems one sign is funny tachometer readings

because timing pulses from ignition box are not stable (can cause bike to run poor)

they get dirty contacts

also on a very ruff road the side stand switch can make the relay cut out

and check that fuse you had problems with before

i have had a bunch of bad fuses in the last few years in both bikes and ham radio gear

QUALITY CONTROL STINKS
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Gobsheen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:12 am

Thanks David, I'll get checking when I'm home.

One thing that I forgot to mention in the first post and could be significant is that some of the journey was a bit wet and I was through a few puddles. Nothing major but the bike was definitely getting a good spray underneath at times.
Gobsheen

MZ Mastiff
Gobsheen

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:26 am

There are some very easy tests you can do to track down your charging issues. You just need to find the right shop manual or specs and get a multimeter. The stator on my Honda required a simple resistance measurement on all three fields(between each of the three wires coming out of the alternator housing). Then you'll want to check the voltage regulator for proper output. I'm guessing the XT600E has the exact same charging system internals so that manual might be helpful. Also check out the SZR660 and XTZ660 manuals. Good luck.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Gobsheen » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:18 am

Hi,
Not has as much time as I thought till now. Battery is clearly knackered and doesn't hold anything. Fuses all fine. When I put jump leads on, everything is normal including that the volts increase with revs. It wasn't doing that when I broke down. Feels like if I put a new battery in, it'll go fine. But, I still don't know the cause so it'll happen again!
Not sure which is relay 30 but the one I checked is certainly switching OK. Connections seem fine. It's a grey longish Bosch unit. 0.332.207.310
I'd love to check the stator connector but I don't even know where it is! That's how much I know. I'd welcome some direction. Happy to call someone even if it would be easier to chat through it for a few minutes!
Gobsheen

MZ Mastiff
Gobsheen

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:30 am

The left side cover has some wires coming out of it just behind the starter motor. Follow that bundle up to the connector, unplug it and test the resistance across the three wires that are the same color. I have a funny feeling it's an intermittent problem in the voltage regulator though. My Honda ate a battery and I was too lazy to do the tests so just threw another battery in. It was fine for a few months, so I sold it to a friend, and I'll be damned if it didn't brake down almost immediately. I found the charging system specs in a Shadow 750 forum and went over with my meter to do the tests and everything checked out, so I had him order a new regulator. Everything has been good since.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby Gobsheen » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:55 pm

New battery charged and installed. Bike starts, runs and charges as it should. I haven't fixed anything other than check connections and fuses, putting silicone grease on each one. Doubt I've resolved anything.
Found the stator connector!
I checked the ac voltage as suggested in my previous charging thread. At idle, each wire is putting out 6-7v. At 3000 revs, each is about 17-18v. Revving higher pushes the volts higher.
I checked the resistance as suggested below, as I understood (!). Disconnected and, on the starter side, checked the resistance across each combination of two wires. It was 0.5 ohms each time. No idea if this is good or bad?
Gobsheen

MZ Mastiff
Gobsheen

Return to 660 cc