street tracker radiator

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

street tracker radiator

Postby sprocket77 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:20 am

Hi.
Has anyone any experience with using a smaller or a szr radiator on a baghira.
Im in the process of building a stripped back street tracker out of my baggy.. To do this the radiators have had to go to allow for a new fuel tank. Ive bought a szr radiator as it fits perfect infront of the front down tube.. Im just a bit concerned about the engine running temp as it has a bit smaller cooling capacity and surface area than the two original radiators.. Im led to believe the szr has an oil cooler.
If ive to retro fit one so be it.. I just thought id check out the thoughts on here.
Regards Dean.
sprocket77

Re: street tracker radiator

Postby edfmaniac » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:41 am

It should work fine with the proper thermostat and fan set up, assuming it has fans like the Skorpion does. The oil tank on an SZR has some heat sink designs molded into it but I don't think they are functional. Adding an aftermarket oil cooler to any bike with external lines is pretty easy if you think you need one.

As far going to a more street style radiator, I kinda like the split radiators with no fans idea and have been toying with replacing the stock set up on my modified Skorpion with them. They can be mounted in so many different ways that will drastically change the overall look of the bike, I thought it would be cool to do some mock ups and see if they need to be incorporated into the final design phase. An SZR tank was in the mix until I realized it wouldn't work with my headers. :cry:
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby sprocket77 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:45 pm

Ive bought a xtz filler cap / thermostat unit to go with the szr
Radiator and have fit the baggy fan to the szr Radiator.
The problem with the twin rad set up is i need to move them for the new tank.. But they'll look bulky if i move them anywhere else.. Are skoprions fitted with a temp gauge?
Might be worth retro fitting one to monitor things..
sprocket77

Postby edfmaniac » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:49 pm

I can't remember without looking at the schematics but there are two sending units on the radiator. One is to turn the fans on so the other might be for an overheat light.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby jaywillie2912 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:14 pm

I have both motorcycles.....The Skorpion radiator seems a little inadequate to me....the fan is constantly coming on....I now turn the motor off if I am sitting in traffic.

Hope this helps..
jaywillie2912

Postby sprocket77 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks for the replys..
I think im going to fit two baggy fans to the szr radiator.
Its less fuss than fitting an oil cooler.
Ive just bought a z 550 fuel tank for it.. The baggy frame doesnt lend itself well to different tanks.. Spent a while borrowing different tanks from a local breakers until i got one that would sit right. It looks better than you'd think. I post some pics when i can.
sprocket77

Return to 660 cc