Exhaust options...

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Exhaust options...

Postby toledo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi Guys,

Want to get a bit more noise out of my 96 Skorpion Sport, it looks standard to me but im not sure how to tell? its fairly quiet but there is a bit of an induction growl and thumpy exhaust at wot, just not as much as I would like....

What are my options for bolt on cans? preferably options that will fit from other bikes so I can source a second hand one cheap :) I had a search on here and it came up with a few options but not much.
toledo

Re: Exhaust options...

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:59 pm

what ever you do save the originals so if you want to put it back you have them
parts that are oem are getting hard to find

finding jets for these is a job

i would leave it stock if its running good

and an unmodified sport is rare

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby toledo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:02 pm

Yes this one is mostly unmolested as far as I can tell (other than my new front side electric fan). Getting a little rough on the rear fairings and the front wheel guard needs a paint but pretty nice otherwise. I plan to keep all parts with it so it can be returned to factory.

Whats the hassle getting jets? Thought they would be standard Yamaha? Or did Muz use different carbs?
toledo

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:26 pm

There is no direct bolt on that I've heard of, and I looked around quite a while before buying the Pro Circuit unit for an XR650 and modifying the rear exhaust mount. Or, if you just want to turn heads, buy the Universal 3M Steel Dirtbike Muffler from SuperTrapp in the correct diameter and mount it right on the end of your stock header with no extra support. I ran mine like that for quite a while and the exhaust studs on the head held up fine. Just don't go stepping on the thing or letting passengers step on it. Run all of the baffles for maximum noise. I think I even ordered some extra baffles and threw them on as well. It's ugly but LOUD!!!

01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby edfmaniac » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:34 pm

You can't get stock replacement jets for the 3YF carb unless you live in a remote land and have connections with mythical motorcycle mechanics. :P You may try to find a Yamaha dealer that has been around for multiple decades and ask them but don't tell them which bike it is going on. If they didn't sell it, they don't service it for the most part. Lie and tell them you have a 1994 XT600 so they know what type of jet you need and then tell them what sizes you need. Doubt they will have them but it's worth a try if you want stock jets.

Alternative main jets can be purchased at Jets R Us if you know what to look for. I found the correct type just by comparing pictures and descriptions on their site to the jets I pulled out of my carb. I think they are Keihin jets but they work. There's a Mikuni pilot that worked in my carb but it looked quite a bit different. VM28 I think. It's on the forum index somewhere.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby lavrentyuk » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:22 am

We share a problem. I have a Ducati Monster silencer that doesn't fit my Sport and was recently offered a Gazelle that was very close to standard spec. Otherwise I have had no joy finding anything that will fit. Please let me know if you do.

Regards,

Richard
Richard Marshall
Wales, U.K.
MuZ Skorpion Tour, ETZ 300 or two (one with a sidecar - really insane mode of transport), a couple of TS125s, ETZ 125, BMW R100S and an Enfield Interceptor for daily use.
(some of them work too).
lavrentyuk

Return to 660 cc