95 Skorp Sport - gas remains in tank after reserve runs out!

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

95 Skorp Sport - gas remains in tank after reserve runs out!

Postby WaiNYC » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:35 pm

I had to remove the tank today to work on smth on the choke. The tank was 3/4 full, and so I dumped the gas via the fuel line -- as opposed to siphoning it off from the tank cap -- and switching the petcock to Reserve. I was surprised to find that after the Reserve had run out, there was still gas in the tank, about half to a full liter. The fuel line filter was unclogged, and I had put the bike on center stand with a piece of wood to elevate the front wheel.

I cannot imagine that it was done by design to leave this much gas behind. Do you find the same with your bike? What explains it?
Last edited by WaiNYC on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WaiNYC

Re: 95 Skorp Sport - gas remains in tank after reserve runs

Postby billr » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:56 pm

Don't remember that being a problem.
I no longer have the stock fuel valve.
The Acerbis I installed drains all the way down.

Bill
billr

Postby WaiNYC » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:34 pm

I wonder if having a different petcock would make a difference in my case. That's bec I found out about the remaining gas when the tank was already lifted from the frame, with the petcock removed, and I heard liquid splashing around inside. I really dont get this...
WaiNYC

Postby edfmaniac » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:51 pm

Some petcocks have intake tubes on both the main and reserve fuel pathways. The reserve may be sticking up a bit too high to completely empty the tank. Like I mentioned before, the factory petcock is garbage. I'm quite sure their QC department is heavily understaffed. :wink:

Tip for the future. If you ever get a bike with the frame tube running down the middle of the tank, and run out on reserve, there's always some fuel left on the other side of the tank. You can tip the bike over towards the petcock and splash enough fuel over the frame tunnel to get another 5 or 10 miles out of the bike. :!:
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby WaiNYC » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:52 pm

edfmaniac wrote:Some petcocks have intake tubes on both the main and reserve fuel pathways. The reserve may be sticking up a bit too high to completely empty the tank. Like I mentioned before, the factory petcock is garbage. I'm quite sure their QC department is heavily understaffed. :wink:

Tip for the future. If you ever get a bike with the frame tube running down the middle of the tank, and run out on reserve, there's always some fuel left on the other side of the tank. You can tip the bike over towards the petcock and splash enough fuel over the frame tunnel to get another 5 or 10 miles out of the bike. :!:

I want that extra 5, 10 miles :-)

A simple Google search on Acerbis Universal Petcock shows products of slightly different designs. Which one do you use / will work on our Skorpions?

Pix Acerbis petcock.jpg
WaiNYC

Postby edfmaniac » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:48 am

Not all images of products for sale show the actual product. The universal petcock has the valve 90 degrees off from the bolt pattern. I see it in two of the photos, the lower right, and as an alternate view in the above right web page. Just order the universal and you should get the correct product.

And I wouldn't count on getting that last few ml of fuel out of the tank. It's just a bad habit to run your tank dry. You are going to get run over on the highway or taken out by a driver who's coming around the blind corner you stalled on. Sh!t happens fast when your engine loses power and the cars behind you really don't care that you don't have a cage around you. They really don't, and will justify it in their minds when they run you over and kill you. :wink: Just pull over and top off the tank.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:40 pm

my 95 saxon tour tank is a real mess to remove as a bunch of gas is still in the tank when reserve is empty
i use a piece of brake line and a mity vac pump to get most of it then you have to remove the valve because the bing carb is in the way of tank removal

BEST DONE OUT IN THE YARD for SAFETY REASONS
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Return to 660 cc