Sport cup Center stand

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Sport cup Center stand

Postby samandkimberly » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:03 pm

I used to have a near perfect, 100% unmolested, bone stock black Skorpion Sport Cup; no longer. I just made its only modification: a center stand. Now I can adjust the chain, change/check tires and so much more w/o trying to find an unused rear stand kicking around the shop - why on earth don't *all* street bikes come with center stands?

For those interested in doing this, you need to locate a non-sport Skorpion center stand, the bolts that hold it on, and the double spring setup. These pop up on eBay regularly for cheap - 20-30 bucks. You then have to carve a good chunk of the right side lower fairing off, and a little bit of the left, and then it bolts right on! You can't tell that anything has been carved off the fairing when you're done - it looks completely stock. Why they didn't come this way stock I don't know.

Sam
samandkimberly

Re: Sport cup Center stand

Postby edfmaniac » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:07 pm

If I'm not mistaken, that bike was targeted towards racers. Most of them are going to have a set of stands for working on it between rounds. I kept the one on my stripped down Traveller because I don't have any pit stands yet, but I plan on ditching it, and putting the side stand back on, at the end of the project. The center stand is pretty darn heavy.
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby samandkimberly » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:36 pm

I think the racing community found the Skorpion, not the other way around. IMO, the bike was aimed more at the entry level sport bike market - people who wanted something simpler and lower power than a FZR 600, but still good handling. I was racing singles right around when this came out, and it wasnt considered much of a game changer until super hotrodded ones started showing up at the track. Definitely not a racebike in stock form, and I think the Skorpion class in the EU came out after the Skorp had been around a year or so.

The very fact that you've still got your stand on because you dont have a pit stand drives my point home - most people don't have pit stands. For a street bike its a great thing and I highly doubt I'll notice the couple added lbs. My other Skorp doesnt have to share its race stand anymore.

Sam
samandkimberly

Postby edfmaniac » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:50 pm

Not trying to argue, but several articles I read said the Cup bike was targeted towards the one-design racing crowd. I agree that every other model needs a center stand, but on the Cup bike, it was part of the marketing to take all of the unnecessary bits off. There was already a sporty version for the street, and a touring version for the street, both which came with center stands. The bigger question is why didn't they market the racing bike with wheels that were more suitable for racing. ;-) :?:
01 Skorpion Traveler 660
edfmaniac

Postby tigcraft » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:49 am

Good point about the wheels!!
ETZ250, ts150, ts250, Other toys.....Trx850...Bonneville SE...Bmw f800gt bmw Rockster ...X7...GSX250KATANA ...TL1000
tigcraft

Postby samandkimberly » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:22 pm

I'd say the replica, with its better everything may have been more geared to the real racer. The Sport Cup was made more to look like a real racer.

Regardless, I sure like that center stand. :-)
samandkimberly

Postby giools » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:23 pm

It’s been a while since I last visited this thread. So hi again. What’s the latest about Skorpion? He is doing well as far as I can see in general. 22 victories again 4 failures is not a bad result at all. Where are you watching matches? On Netflix, I suppose. Do you know any free source to watch on YouTube or other channels? I am looking for access from my location https://worldpostalcode.com/united-stat ... na/phoenix.
giools

Return to 660 cc